annual leave

Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: annual leave

So what's the deal with unpaid holidays? Can I add two-three weeks if I take it unpaid?

I'm thinking of doing contracting work for this very reason. You can take a break between contracts and you usually get paid more anyway. So it balances out a bit if you are unemployed for a litle while.

Rob.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I'm very aware of the annual leave situation, and although it will kill me going from my current 8 weeks per year down to two, I'm sure the positives of a new life in Canada outweigh the negatives. I know for a fact that when I eventually get out there, I will have less than half the workload I have here - for the same (if not more) money.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by back row
we did research our proposed move to canada, and we both felt that the things we did'nt like about the country,(high vancouver house prices being one), were acceptable for a better life. we would still consider canada if we do not get into oz for, as we both feel the uk is going nowhere fast. but the two weeks holiday thing was the straw that broke the camels back. i only found out by reading a book called 'living and working in canada', and it was one paragraph which could easily be missed. it just did not occur to us that a modern cultured country like canada would only give its workers 2 weeks off a year, until you realise how tied to the US economy they are and its quite common for the americans to get only two weeks also.

so next time you watch an american film and someone says,' i haven't had a vacation in years', you know why.

back row
Sound decision back row. I drew a similar conclusion, throw in a 4 year wait to get there and the fact that when you finally do they don't recognise your qualifications or experience and the choice for us was easy.

All being well, we're heading down under before the year is out. Hope it all goes well for you in WA.

And minimeeze - who gives 8 weeks leave!

Last edited by Tableland; Apr 10th 2007 at 3:37 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
January 1 Monday New Year's Day Federal -- National
April 6 Friday Good Friday Federal -- National
May 21 Monday Victoria Day Federal -- National
*July 1 Sunday Canada Day Federal -- National
August 6 Monday Civic Holiday --Ontario
September 3 Monday Labour Day Federal -- National
October 8 Monday Thanksgiving Day Federal -- National
*November 11 Sunday Remembrance Day Federal -- National
December 25 Tuesday Christmas Day Federal -- National
December 26 Wednesday Boxing Day Federal -- National
Sutherlands, when I was new to this forum, I provided that very same list. However, I quickly was challenged on it, and I discovered that public holidays were not as uniformly applicable as I had thought they were. I discovered additional differences amongst provinces when I did research for the BE Wiki article on Canadian Holidays.

Canada has only five national statutory holidays:
  • New Year's Day
  • Good Friday (although Quebec employers have the option of granting the holiday on Easter Monday instead)
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Christmas Day

The following holidays are not statutory holidays in all provinces:
  • Victoria Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Remembrance Day
  • Boxing Day

I know I'm being pedantic, because this is irrelevant to the larger question that is being discussed in this thread. But then I'm bored, and you were the one who made the first move towards discussing specifics.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tableland

And minimeeze - who gives 8 weeks leave!
I've worked for the NHS for over 10 years, so I now get something like 41 days annual leave per year (incl Bank Holidays).
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:09 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

I know I'm being pedantic, because this is irrelevant to the larger question that is being discussed in this thread. But then I'm bored, and you were the one who made the first move towards discussing specifics.
Np.... We live and learn so they say...

I got good Friday off and it was paid, only 4 weeks into my Job so there is hope ......
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I've worked for the NHS for over 10 years, so I now get something like 41 days annual leave per year (incl Bank Holidays).
Don't want to upset the apple cart, but I work for the NHS and get 14 weeks hols each year.
Going to 4 maybe, 5 weeks is gonna be a killer but at least the summer weekends over there don't see ya throwing all the barbie stuff in the freezer coz its raining again.
jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:19 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
Don't want to upset the apple cart, but I work for the NHS and get 14 weeks hols each year.
Going to 4 maybe, 5 weeks is gonna be a killer but at least the summer weekends over there don't see ya throwing all the barbie stuff in the freezer coz its raining again.
jo
Oh Jo you ARE in for a shock. It RAINS in the 'summer' in Alberta too.
Mind you Some of us BBQ in the snow, so rain wont put me off.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Oh Jo you ARE in for a shock. It RAINS in the 'summer' in Alberta too.
Mind you Some of us BBQ in the snow, so rain wont put me off.
the rain i can take
The rain every weekend and the developement of webbed feet becomes tricky when you need new shoes.
at least over there the crocs,that are very accomodating for the webs, don't cost $60 a pair like they do over here.
We came over for 3 weeks last August and it only "rained" once. I say "rained" cos we were in Grande Cache and it was like icicles hitting you. But we were lucky, it had snowed the weekend before

We waste so much food over here though, cos the weekend after you get it out of the freezer in anticipation only to have it grilled indoors as , yes, its raining again

jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We waste so much food over here though, cos the weekend after you get it out of the freezer in anticipation only to have it grilled indoors as , yes, its raining again
I think you need something which over here they call a roof; it serves to deflect rain from the barbeque.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

jo
Is that an admin or medic job?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

jo
I don't want to get into a big debate as to whether you've earned this or deserve it ('cos I'm sure you do ) - but is this normal?? It just gets me thinking that if some huge percentage of staff are allowed 14 weeks leave - which is wonderful if you can get it, but somewhat excessive - then no wonder there is the constant cry of staff shortages and ward closures with not enough staff to run them ?! They're all on holiday !
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:46 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

14 weeks is certainly not the standard holiday leave in the NHS. The standard is 27 - 30 days rising to 34 for long service plus bank holidays. The government recently reformed the NHS pay structure under a marvellous (OK SH*T) framework called Agenda for Change and the standardisation of leave entitlement was part of that.

Phew! That's my most serious post ever!
C
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

sean1811 is an unknown quantity at this point

agree with C, I work in the NHS as well, I certainly dont get 14 weeks, what job gets that, consultant? I get the good ol 27 days,
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean1811
agree with C, I work in the NHS as well, I certainly dont get 14 weeks, what job gets that, consultant? I get the good ol 27 days,
I bet Jo is a part timer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.