Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Angostura bitters?

Angostura bitters?

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Angostura bitters?

Originally Posted by OzRob
Can I have a lemon, lime and bitters, please?...
Not over here you cant, sorry!

I think the equivalent of the the LLB here is the Caeser, Wildly popular but I cant for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to drink either personally!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

How could you NOT like Caesars? They are my very favourite drink. We were at a function recently and everyone was drinking Caesars and my granddaughter wanted one - so she got a Virgin Caesar and she thought it was great too!!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
How could you NOT like Caesars? They are my very favourite drink. We were at a function recently and everyone was drinking Caesars and my granddaughter wanted one - so she got a Virgin Caesar and she thought it was great too!!
Its a salad, not a drink. I like my liquor less....soupey?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a salad, not a drink. I like my liquor less....soupey?

Nope, it's a drink. A Bloody Ceaser. Clamato Juice, Vodka, and all the other ingredients of a Bloody Mary.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Rete
Nope, it's a drink. A Bloody Ceaser. Clamato Juice, Vodka, and all the other ingredients of a Bloody Mary.
Please read between the lines. Of course its a drink, in fact I was the one who brought it up initially, but it comes with a stick of bloody celery in it, often with salt and pepper, and has the consistency of soup. Not my cup of tea...and yes, I realise its not tea either

Last edited by iaink; Dec 22nd 2005 at 3:24 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Please read between the lines. Of course its a drink, but it comes with a stick of bloody celery in it, often with salt and pepper, and has the consistency of soup. Not my cup of tea...and yes, I realise its not tea either
I was once served one with a gherkin in place of the celery. It had a remarkable flavour.

(Well, that is, I didn't actually remark upon it, but one could have as it was a rum do. Not actually with rum though.)
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:29 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never even had a Caesar but then, I've friend with a description of Caesars that would turn anyone off them… but I won't repeat it here.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
I got a chuckle from a show on Food Network recently (Iron Chef America) where the secret ingredient was clams. One of the chefs made what he called a Clammy Mary which was really Bloody Ceasar, but nobody in the US has ever heard of them. It is stricktly a Canadian drink and apparently the most popular cocktail in Canada.

Personally I don't like them or Bloody Mary as I don't care for tomato juice.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I've never even had a Caesar but then, I've friend with a description of Caesars that would turn anyone off them… but I won't repeat it here.
Did it involve regurgitation in some form? 'nuf said.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
No. It involves the female menstrual cycle and low tide... and that's all I'm saying! Bottoms up!
Now (as so often) I wish I hadnt asked

Scotch/Rocks for me...

...once the OH is no longer "with child"

Merry Xmas everyone
Old Dec 24th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...does anyone know where I can buy a bottle? 'Tis the season to mix cocktails, and all that.

I'd have thought the MLCC shop but one store had never heard of them, the other said he thought he knew what I meant and to try a pharmacy...I began to wonder if he thought I was asking for meths and just nodded and said thank-you. Would a pharmacy really have this?? I'm almost too embarrassed to go in and ask!

I've tried a couple of gourmet shops, no luck. Haven't got the time or energy to traipse all over, if anyone could tell me the definitive answer as to what this stuff is classed as in Canada, and thereby where to look for it, I'd be eternally gratefully - oh, and I'd also mix you a lovely drink
Safeway in Sunnyside, Calgary. Aisle 13, 6th shelf, $5.25.

I hope this helps

Merry Xmas.
Old Dec 25th 2005, 6:27 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Lol - love the way qoutes can work against you - especially when deleted for good taste (not refering in any way to the taste of such a drink)

Now (as so often) I wish I hadnt asked

Scotch/Rocks for me...

...once the OH is no longer "with child"

Merry Xmas everyone