Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

American seeks asylum in Canada

American seeks asylum in Canada

Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:52 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American seeks asylum in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wait a minute, he's facing an assortment of unrelated criminal charges in a range of States; that's proof that the authorities, all the authorities across the country, are out to get him.
Oh my word! This model citizen should be given asylum in Canada immediately then! I wonder, if it were a white person, in the same position, what would happen? Oh, but I cannot say or think that kind of thing, it's awfully racist of me.

(sarcasm much?)
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a minute, he's facing an assortment of unrelated criminal charges in a range of States;
I thought it funny how someone on the guardian blogs dug that bit up.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought it funny how someone on the guardian blogs dug that bit up.
How's it funny? By presenting himself as a man persecuted and in need of a safe haven he's set himself up for scrutiny; inevitably his history will become news. It does seem likely that a genuine refugee is going to have been in trouble with the authorities at home and so one might think a series of court appearances bolster his case that he's a victim.

Then again, one might think he's trying it on and should be advised to piss off home.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How's it funny? By presenting himself as a man persecuted and in need of a safe haven he's set himself up for scrutiny
That's why it was funny. He got the scrutiny. Having presented himself as an innocent man harassed by the police for being black, at least one of the readers does a little research and discovers a bunch of criminal charges for threatening behaviour and disorderly conduct in multiple states.

(and the guardian deleted the comment)

I suppose, though, it's possible he was entirely innocent every time. Like when your football team loses to six lucky goals.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

The perfect opportunity for the powers that be to demonstrate that Canada is not liberal to the point of absurdity! I await with baited breath..😆
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

What! You think Canada isn't liberal to the point of absurdity? With Trudeau Junior at the helm, we'll soon be Merkelized.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
What! You think Canada isn't liberal to the point of absurdity? With Trudeau Junior at the helm, we'll soon be Merkelized.
As a matter of fact I do, my post was, perhaps not obviously, tongue in cheek, however I live in hope....
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:05 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Us middle class honkies have it easy.
If you were a black lower class american, would you feel safe living there?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:12 pm
Banned

Tronna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't know why they don't do the same thing as the European Union and let North Americans live and work in either country without restriction.
Because such a plan would be madness when implemented for just two countries, one of which is 9 times the population of the other and with wildly different social programs. The EU can manage it because the impact is diluted amongst 20+ countries of which there are 5 with large populations (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain).

Australia and New Zealand can manage freedom of movement of sorts despite population disparity as the social programs are (I would guess, I haven't looked them up) extremely similar as are the employment opportunities.

Actually, freedom of movement between Canada/Australia/New Zealand would make perfect sense and I would love to see it happen some day. Canada/US or Canada/UK, far less so.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
America has this every so small problem with YOU'RE STEALING OUR JOBS! sorry, went all 'mercian for a moment. Had first hand experience of not being able to work in the US because they didn't like that we would be taking away a job from a US citizen, even though a) there weren't any that could do the job I could in the location we would be based, b) we would gladly employ US people, and we did have one US employee, but we needed an office and our team there for at least six months to see that this was indeed a viable place for us to run our business from. If it was, we would employ and train people and thus not "steal" a job.

The above is why we looked at Canada and were welcomed with open arms.

I really do wish that your suggestion worked here, as it would be quite useful to be able to pop across to the US and work there, without all the paperwork hassles. My girlfriend would also really like this too, as she'd be able to continue working in Canada, again without the need for all the paperwork.

Maybe that was just you as that was not my experience, in fact I found the opposite. They fell over themselves to offer me work down there, I often got preferential treatment over septics themselves.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tronna
Because such a plan would be madness when implemented for just two countries, one of which is 9 times the population of the other and with wildly different social programs. The EU can manage it because the impact is diluted amongst 20+ countries of which there are 5 with large populations (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain).

Australia and New Zealand can manage freedom of movement of sorts despite population disparity as the social programs are (I would guess, I haven't looked them up) extremely similar as are the employment opportunities.

Actually, freedom of movement between Canada/Australia/New Zealand would make perfect sense and I would love to see it happen some day. Canada/US or Canada/UK, far less so.
Those things would equal themselves out. You go to the States for higher paying jobs or you come up here sponge off the state. Very much similar to the AU/NZ relationship.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it is not a serious application, but political praxis, or a rhetorical application.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:50 pm
Banned

Tronna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Those things would equal themselves out. You go to the States for higher paying jobs or you come up here sponge off the state. Very much similar to the AU/NZ relationship.
That doesn't sound equal at all. Unless your idea of balance involves the US reaping all the benefits while Canada absorbs all the downside. Canadians whose priority is to get that $10K bump their salary by moving south already find a way to do so even with the present administrative barriers.

As I said, I believe a Canada/Australia/NZ freedom of movement accord would make sense, but a similar agreement between Canada and almost any other country or group of countries wouldn't be sufficiently advantageous to Canada to render it politically feasable.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:46 am
Oscar nominated

That doesn't sound equal at all...
Just a thought...if Americans could come to Canada and experience healthcare (almost) the way it should be done then maybe they'd stop believing that crap about death panels and demand better healthcare than they have.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, I believe a Canada/Australia/NZ freedom of movement accord would make sense
Canadians would love Australia's warm climate and high wages.

But why would an Aussie move to Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.