Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am i normal or abnormal? no smart remarks please

Am i normal or abnormal? no smart remarks please

Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:15 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i normal or abnormal? no smart remarks please

I would say you are very normal.

It is very tough to think of emigrating I am in the same situation as you we haven't moved yet. I am sure that if we get a job offer from one of the interviews that Neil my husband had on Wednesday we are going to go through lots of emotions of whether we are doing the right thing.

The way I look at it is. It is the right thing for us at this moment in time and it would be a good oportunity and experience for us both.

I am sure the people that have moved feel the same, you hear lots of people on the site getting homesick and that is normal to.

Don't worry it is just another thing to make you feel guilty about going. If you think it is right then it is, keep your head up.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:29 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Yes you are normal, everything everyone else has said.

Our emotions have started as we have advised family that he has accepted one of the job offers, through until now its been a dream, now its O MY its going to happen, Scared isnt the word i use, stronger laungage maybe

With three kids to look after, a house to sell in the uk etc etc our trip will just be starting, but i dont want to look back in 20/30/40 years time and say "what if" and then its to late.

It is not for everyone, people do return for different reasons, but i wish you good luck

gill
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Canada for 8 1/2 years now and plan to move back to the UK this summer (as long as someone buys our house) but even though it's been tough at times I don't regret coming in the first place. You'll never know until you give it a go. Good luck with your adventure
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

hawkman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
You wouldn't be human if you didn't have a variety of thoughts and feelings. I left my children, grandchildren and 80 year old mother at home but still talk to them a few times a month, email and text etc daily, some days are good some are bad for missing them, but I only miss them not the place I moved from. I believe if you want to settle you will make it work. Life is not a dress rehearsal so go for it, you can alway return to Britian or move onto another country if you feel Canada is not for you.

Maybe you should spend some time on Returning to UK Forum to see what is making people return, but remember you are an individual and what works for one doesn't for another.

I didn't realise you had reccied Regina, we could have arranged to meet up and given you a proper tour. We have been lucky to meet people like Lizwil98 who has lived in Regina with her husband since Jesus was a child Also Saskatchewn is now a booming province so to be in on the ground floor now would lead to a lot of opportunities.
Thanks Lorna,

Unfortunately we hadn't discovered BE at the time, so we weren't able to canvass any opinions. I think the thing that put us off most was Regina's high crime rate; the highest in Canada, how that compares relative to Manchester where we currently live I don't know.

At the moment my wife has some very good training opportunities in her career over here, and we are hopping that those might feed back in to any future move to Canada i.e. improved job prospects, earnings etc.

Maybe we made a cock-up I hope not!

Hawkman.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:46 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmjay

Did anyone else, who has gone before, have these feelings or is anyone currently in the middle of doing this scared to death at the prospect.

Only everyone, I suspect! (at least at some point)
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:08 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkman
Thanks Lorna,

Unfortunately we hadn't discovered BE at the time, so we weren't able to canvass any opinions. I think the thing that put us off most was Regina's high crime rate; the highest in Canada, how that compares relative to Manchester where we currently live I don't know.

At the moment my wife has some very good training opportunities in her career over here, and we are hopping that those might feed back in to any future move to Canada i.e. improved job prospects, earnings etc.

Maybe we made a cock-up I hope not!

Hawkman.

It's a shame about those statistics because they are absolutely scued by ratios. There was a whole thread dedicated to these statistic a few months ago when they were first published and in my opinion they may as well have been made up by a 1st grader. I volunteer downtown and walk the streets and as I have written before I think Saskatchewan has the most polite beggers I have ever spoken to.

We probably have more police presence due to speeding and drink driving than anything else because of the distance between towns. The majority of crime happens in North Central Regina and even there crime against property is 130% more prevelant that crime against people. We have friends who live in that area and they have no problem. Regina has a population of about 180,000 and greater Manchester has over 2,500,00 with the city centre alone having 440,000 so in my opinion there is no comparison.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Frightened and unsure - you bet! Me and hubby were talking about that very thing yesterday, and it went like this:

May 07 : Went on second reccie to NS and saw the house we wanted. Got passed for Community Identified - Elation!

June 07 : Bought house via email and fax from back in UK - scared ****less

Sept 07 : Back to NS to start making house habitable - can't wait to move there

Dec 07 : Visa's arrived - really frightened

Next week : Back to NS to get house passed for quarantine for our parrots - can't wait!!

Move date 26 June - AAAAGH lol

It is genuinely frightening, but I think we can influence our own experience to a certain degree with our own actions, so we will go and make the best of it that we can!

Good luck,
Rachel