Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I making a HUGE mistake!?!?

Am I making a HUGE mistake!?!?

Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

OntarioIsForLovers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I making a HUGE mistake!?!?

I have been accepted on the IEC 2013, but was then offered an unbelievable job in the UK! I'm a nurse and to be a nurse in Ontario I have to do a year of extra training, but to get on the programme you must be a citizen or PR, going to Canada to be with my bf would mean taking at least 2 years out of nursing in order to get my PR. But if I accept this job and he came to England for 12 months we would get PR that way without having to have a break in my career. I am just panicking that I was really lucky to get this Visa and we might not be so lucky the second time, I also just got back from a visit and am now super depressed missing Canada and him, I don't know what to do! Am I stupid to give up this visa? Or would it be stupid to have a gap in my career?

Does anyone on here know anything about the Tier 5 youth mobility UK visa? Or any other routes for a temp work in the UK (My bf is a 28 year old tiler, also with bar experience, no criminal record, Canadian citizen).

Anyone's thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:16 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I making a HUGE mistake!?!?

Tough one.

I guess you have to ask yourself why you want to move to Canada? And what would you do while you wait?

I wouldn't have thought a gap on the resume would be a big deal, especially if you note that it was in order to receive PR.

Flip a coin on what to do, one side is leave now, the other is stay and take the UK job - your reaction to which side comes up will be telling. (eg: if you think oh bummer that's not what I wanted - then you have your answer )

Good luck!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if the boyfriend gets a visa for the UK and loves it there and says lets stay in the UK?
Giving up an IEC visa is not the end of the world.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thats a tough one because my heart is screaming to get back on the plane ASAP but my head is saying to wait, and that I can go to Canada in a couple of years when I have this job on my resume. I guess my IEC is valid until March 2014, if I love my job I will have the answer, if I hate it I can always go to Canada as planned
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

He might do, but I doubt it, he has a large family (Greek), and he loves Canada, it doesn't really matter where we live as long as we are together, but Canada is where we both want to be
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Take the job in the UK. The more power and control you have over your life, the happier you'll be.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OntarioIsForLovers
I have been accepted on the IEC 2013, but was then offered an unbelievable job in the UK! I'm a nurse and to be a nurse in Ontario I have to do a year of extra training, but to get on the programme you must be a citizen or PR, going to Canada to be with my bf would mean taking at least 2 years out of nursing in order to get my PR. But if I accept this job and he came to England for 12 months we would get PR that way without having to have a break in my career. I am just panicking that I was really lucky to get this Visa and we might not be so lucky the second time, I also just got back from a visit and am now super depressed missing Canada and him, I don't know what to do! Am I stupid to give up this visa? Or would it be stupid to have a gap in my career?

Does anyone on here know anything about the Tier 5 youth mobility UK visa? Or any other routes for a temp work in the UK (My bf is a 28 year old tiler, also with bar experience, no criminal record, Canadian citizen).

Anyone's thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Has your boyfriend ever been to the UK? What does he think about it - is he willing to give up his job to come to the UK - what will he do there?

It's a tough call!

I would suggest perhaps starting the job and seeing if you like it or not (if he is willing to come to the UK).

If you do, then get your boyfriend to apply for the tier 5 youth mobility scheme (which will give him 2 years in the UK). As he is a Canadian Citizen, after 1 year of living together he can apply to sponsor you - common-law, he isn't required to be in Canada to do so. By the time his visa ends, you 'should' have received PR.

If you don't enjoy the new job, then come to Canada using the IEC permit (making sure you have an up-front medical done before activating it if you wish to work in health care) and then either apply for a TWP or IEC at the end of the year and again, once you have lived together for a minimum of 12 months your b/f could sponsor you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

A boyfriend could be just a temporary relationship. A career is what supports you now and in the future. You're not married to the guy. Even if you were, you could be left with your career curtailed. I was once engaged to someone who wanted me to give up my post-graduated studies to be with him. I refused and I've never regretted that decision. It isn't a good idea to impair your career for the sake of being with another person. He could meet someone else he prefers. So could you.
Best wishes whatever you decide
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
A boyfriend could be just a temporary relationship. A career is what supports you now and in the future. You're not married to the guy. Even if you were, you could be left with your career curtailed. I was once engaged to someone who wanted me to give up my post-graduated studies to be with him. I refused and I've never regretted that decision. It isn't a good idea to impair your career for the sake of being with another person. He could meet someone else he prefers. So could you.
Best wishes whatever you decide
I thought it was the other way round in Canada, a boyfriend is the bread winner and a career is just to keep women occupied until they get married and have ikle babies
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

He might do, but I doubt it, he has a large family (Greek), and he loves Canada, it doesn't really matter where we live as long as we are together, but Canada is where we both want to be
Originally Posted by Oink
Take the job in the UK. The more power and control you have over your life, the happier you'll be.
Take the job.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

you wont regret taking the job
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Take the job.

Take a breath.

Re-assess in six months.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a tough one because my heart is screaming to get back on the plane ASAP but my head is saying to wait, and that I can go to Canada in a couple of years when I have this job on my resume. I guess my IEC is valid until March 2014, if I love my job I will have the answer, if I hate it I can always go to Canada as planned
Pardon the bluntness but you both might be dead in a couple of years. If you're not on the plane to be with him, you have to ask yourself if he's the right person. So it sounds to me like maybe he isn't - so take the job.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

I love him more than anything, we are just trying to figure out a living arrangement that is best for us as a couple, bringing in the most income
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Rarely have I seen such unanimity on this sort of thread.

Take the job.

It's not like the bf has anything you might call a career (tiler and bartender).

Ontario may well be for lovers (although YMMV), but it's hard to worry about that sort of thing when you're living on the breadline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.