Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am i going mental?

Am i going mental?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:14 pm
  #16  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,567
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
2 Medium pepperoni pizzas and 2 cans of pop = $13.50 With leftovers for dinner
Oooh, you really know how to spoil them.

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
I can tell you dont live anywhere near the Bullfrogs we have in the reach near us!
Nope, no bullfrogs. Mainly because the ducks on our pond think the frogspawn we get every year is a great delicacy, so there's no chance of any tadpoles making it to adulthood!

The guinea fowl are ridiculously noisy though, but they make me laugh and remind me of a bunch of old women, so I'll let them off.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:38 am
  #17  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,258
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post

The guinea fowl are ridiculously noisy though, but they make me laugh and remind me of a bunch of old women, so I'll let them off.
A bit like that thread on the bachelor then?
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:04 am
  #18  
KJM
BE Enthusiast
 
KJM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: West Sussex - Calgary
Posts: 722
KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
I have just come back from 2 weeks in England..and i found that i didn't really enjoy it and found myself sin above sin looking forward to coming back to Canada..i put it down to the weather and the constant rain and wind and i had forgotten how i hate getting soaked when you dont have a brolly!

Or maybe i am going mental and my brain is slowing getting used to all the wrongness of Canada that some how it has become right?..anyone else had a similar experience?
I will be returning to Calgary after nearly 5 months in the UK. I can say that I hate the rain and the grey skies. I can't believe that I used to work in the rain all the time going from one job site to another. Its amazing how much I missed my Canadian life.
KJM is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:28 pm
  #19  
Every day's a school day
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Was Calgary back in Edmonton again !!
Posts: 2,667
cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by KJM View Post
I will be returning to Calgary after nearly 5 months in the UK. I can say that I hate the rain and the grey skies. I can't believe that I used to work in the rain all the time going from one job site to another. Its amazing how much I missed my Canadian life.
i think it has to be a weather thing...Calgary is so sunny compared to the UK especially during the winter. In the UK when its dull and wet it never really seems to get light...however going back to a manual car was bliss and shopping is a much better experience back home.
cheeky_monkey is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:58 pm
  #20  
KJM
BE Enthusiast
 
KJM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: West Sussex - Calgary
Posts: 722
KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
i think it has to be a weather thing...Calgary is so sunny compared to the UK especially during the winter. In the UK when its dull and wet it never really seems to get light...however going back to a manual car was bliss and shopping is a much better experience back home.
lol yep your right, blue skies are so much better.

lol I had a manual in Canada, however I kept attempting to change the gears with my right hand. doh. Yep shopping is so much better in regards to fashion and food. I am going to it make my goal to go back every 2 years when I return. We are just topping up on clothes before we go back.
KJM is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:05 pm
  #21  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,154
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by KJM View Post
lol yep your right, blue skies are so much better.

lol I had a manual in Canada, however I kept attempting to change the gears with my right hand. doh. Yep shopping is so much better in regards to fashion and food. I am going to it make my goal to go back every 2 years when I return. We are just topping up on clothes before we go back.
Give me warm, wet and grey over freezing your bollocks off and snow any day of the week.
Oink is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:41 pm
  #22  
KJM
BE Enthusiast
 
KJM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: West Sussex - Calgary
Posts: 722
KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Give me warm, wet and grey over freezing your bollocks off and snow any day of the week.
lol. I am sure I will be saying that in a couple in of months but not my bollocks as I don't have none.
KJM is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:23 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 213
beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
I have just come back from 2 weeks in England..and i found that i didn't really enjoy it and found myself sin above sin looking forward to coming back to Canada..i put it down to the weather and the constant rain and wind and i had forgotten how i hate getting soaked when you dont have a brolly!

Or maybe i am going mental and my brain is slowing getting used to all the wrongness of Canada that some how it has become right?..anyone else had a similar experience?

My OH wants to go back to UK (only visiting) in the summer. I am sooooo not looking forward to that. I can just see the rain the minute we land. Might even cry when we leave Calgary with +30 degrees temperatures behind us

On the other hand, more time for clothes shopping Topshop here I come!!!
beautiful050278 is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:07 pm
  #24  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by beautiful050278 View Post
My OH wants to go back to UK (only visiting) in the summer. I am sooooo not looking forward to that. I can just see the rain the minute we land. Might even cry when we leave Calgary with +30 degrees temperatures behind us

On the other hand, more time for clothes shopping Topshop here I come!!!
Do you know you can order online from Topshop and have it delivered to Canada for £7.50 standard shipping? (Free if your order is over £100)

Just sayin'

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:08 pm
  #25  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

I just dont get the clothes shopping thing in the UK. Sure I liked Next and M&S but I like Banana Republic and Le Chateau here. I dont see what the attraction of Primark is at all.

A lot of my friends here constantly miss clothes shopping in the UK, I am just not feeling it now
Howefamily is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:42 pm
  #26  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,874
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

D
Originally Posted by siouxie View Post
Do you know you can order online from Topshop and have it delivered to Canada for £7.50 standard shipping? (Free if your order is over £100)

Just sayin'

You have to pay import duty on the delivery
Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
I just dont get the clothes shopping thing in the UK. Sure I liked Next and M&S but I like Banana Republic and Le Chateau here. I dont see what the attraction of Primark is at all.

A lot of my friends here constantly miss clothes shopping in the UK, I am just not feeling it now
The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.
bats is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:56 pm
  #27  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by bats View Post
D
You have to pay import duty on the delivery


The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.
It's still cheaper than a flight to the UK, lol.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:27 am
  #28  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by bats View Post


The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.
the only thing I ever bought from Primark fell apart after one wash. Banana Republic has quality items even in the outlet store
Howefamily is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:44 am
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 243
shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am i going mental?

I'm hoping we will feel the same. Going back for our first family visit in April which is possibly a little too soon as we only arrived in September . We've not been home sick as yet so i'm hoping that is a good sign. Would hate to rock the boat for everyone.
shunter1977 is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:46 am
  #30  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,874
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
the only thing I ever bought from Primark fell apart after one wash. Banana Republic has quality items even in the outlet store
That's the point of Primark though isn't it? i have never bought from them as they don't do fat sizes but you can see that it's cheap tat. Banana Republic is ridiculously expensive for what it is. Clothes used to be cheaper here but now it's definitely worth shopping in the UK.
bats is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.