British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Am i going mental? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/am-i-going-mental-782851/)

christmasoompa Jan 7th 2013 10:14 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10469822)
2 Medium pepperoni pizzas and 2 cans of pop = $13.50 With leftovers for dinner;)

Oooh, you really know how to spoil them. :lol:


Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10469822)
I can tell you dont live anywhere near the Bullfrogs we have in the reach near us!

Nope, no bullfrogs. Mainly because the ducks on our pond think the frogspawn we get every year is a great delicacy, so there's no chance of any tadpoles making it to adulthood!

The guinea fowl are ridiculously noisy though, but they make me laugh and remind me of a bunch of old women, so I'll let them off.

Novocastrian Jan 8th 2013 3:38 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10469980)

The guinea fowl are ridiculously noisy though, but they make me laugh and remind me of a bunch of old women, so I'll let them off.

A bit like that thread on the bachelor then?

KJM Jan 8th 2013 11:04 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10468963)
I have just come back from 2 weeks in England..and i found that i didn't really enjoy it and found myself sin above sin looking forward to coming back to Canada..i put it down to the weather and the constant rain and wind and i had forgotten how i hate getting soaked when you dont have a brolly!

Or maybe i am going mental and my brain is slowing getting used to all the wrongness of Canada that some how it has become right?..anyone else had a similar experience?

I will be returning to Calgary after nearly 5 months in the UK. I can say that I hate the rain and the grey skies. I can't believe that I used to work in the rain all the time going from one job site to another. Its amazing how much I missed my Canadian life.:)

cheeky_monkey Jan 8th 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 10470951)
I will be returning to Calgary after nearly 5 months in the UK. I can say that I hate the rain and the grey skies. I can't believe that I used to work in the rain all the time going from one job site to another. Its amazing how much I missed my Canadian life.:)

i think it has to be a weather thing...Calgary is so sunny compared to the UK especially during the winter. In the UK when its dull and wet it never really seems to get light...however going back to a manual car was bliss:thumbup: and shopping is a much better experience back home.

KJM Jan 8th 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10471238)
i think it has to be a weather thing...Calgary is so sunny compared to the UK especially during the winter. In the UK when its dull and wet it never really seems to get light...however going back to a manual car was bliss:thumbup: and shopping is a much better experience back home.

lol yep your right, blue skies are so much better.

lol I had a manual in Canada, however I kept attempting to change the gears with my right hand. doh. Yep shopping is so much better in regards to fashion and food. I am going to it make my goal to go back every 2 years when I return. We are just topping up on clothes before we go back.

Oink Jan 8th 2013 7:05 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 10471298)
lol yep your right, blue skies are so much better.

lol I had a manual in Canada, however I kept attempting to change the gears with my right hand. doh. Yep shopping is so much better in regards to fashion and food. I am going to it make my goal to go back every 2 years when I return. We are just topping up on clothes before we go back.

Give me warm, wet and grey over freezing your bollocks off and snow any day of the week.

KJM Jan 8th 2013 7:41 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10471916)
Give me warm, wet and grey over freezing your bollocks off and snow any day of the week.

lol. I am sure I will be saying that in a couple in of months but not my bollocks as I don't have none.

beautiful050278 Jan 8th 2013 11:23 pm

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10468963)
I have just come back from 2 weeks in England..and i found that i didn't really enjoy it and found myself sin above sin looking forward to coming back to Canada..i put it down to the weather and the constant rain and wind and i had forgotten how i hate getting soaked when you dont have a brolly!

Or maybe i am going mental and my brain is slowing getting used to all the wrongness of Canada that some how it has become right?..anyone else had a similar experience?


My OH wants to go back to UK (only visiting) in the summer. I am sooooo not looking forward to that. I can just see the rain the minute we land. Might even cry when we leave Calgary with +30 degrees temperatures behind us:thumbdown:

On the other hand, more time for clothes shopping :thumbsup: Topshop here I come!!!

Siouxie Jan 9th 2013 12:07 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by beautiful050278 (Post 10472368)
My OH wants to go back to UK (only visiting) in the summer. I am sooooo not looking forward to that. I can just see the rain the minute we land. Might even cry when we leave Calgary with +30 degrees temperatures behind us:thumbdown:

On the other hand, more time for clothes shopping :thumbsup: Topshop here I come!!!

Do you know you can order online from Topshop and have it delivered to Canada for £7.50 standard shipping? (Free if your order is over £100)

Just sayin'

:)

Howefamily Jan 9th 2013 12:08 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 
I just dont get the clothes shopping thing in the UK. Sure I liked Next and M&S but I like Banana Republic and Le Chateau here. I dont see what the attraction of Primark is at all.

A lot of my friends here constantly miss clothes shopping in the UK, I am just not feeling it now

bats Jan 9th 2013 12:42 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 
D

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10472407)
Do you know you can order online from Topshop and have it delivered to Canada for £7.50 standard shipping? (Free if your order is over £100)

Just sayin'

:)

You have to pay import duty on the delivery

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10472408)
I just dont get the clothes shopping thing in the UK. Sure I liked Next and M&S but I like Banana Republic and Le Chateau here. I dont see what the attraction of Primark is at all.

A lot of my friends here constantly miss clothes shopping in the UK, I am just not feeling it now

The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.

Siouxie Jan 9th 2013 12:56 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10472441)
D
You have to pay import duty on the delivery


The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.

It's still cheaper than a flight to the UK, lol.

Howefamily Jan 9th 2013 1:27 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10472441)


The cost makes a big difference, not to mention quality and up to date styles. Primark is cheap and one season stuff, like OldNavy only better.

the only thing I ever bought from Primark fell apart after one wash. Banana Republic has quality items even in the outlet store

shunter1977 Jan 9th 2013 1:44 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 
I'm hoping we will feel the same. Going back for our first family visit in April which is possibly a little too soon as we only arrived in September :blink:. We've not been home sick as yet so i'm hoping that is a good sign. Would hate to rock the boat for everyone.

bats Jan 9th 2013 1:46 am

Re: Am i going mental?
 

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10472471)
the only thing I ever bought from Primark fell apart after one wash. Banana Republic has quality items even in the outlet store

That's the point of Primark though isn't it? i have never bought from them as they don't do fat sizes but you can see that it's cheap tat. Banana Republic is ridiculously expensive for what it is. Clothes used to be cheaper here but now it's definitely worth shopping in the UK.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:13 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.