British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Am i going mental? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/am-i-going-mental-782851/)

Howefamily Jan 9th 2013 12:55 am

Re: Am i going mental?

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10472490)
That's the point of Primark though isn't it? i have never bought from them as they don't do fat sizes but you can see that it's cheap tat. Banana Republic is ridiculously expensive for what it is. Clothes used to be cheaper here but now it's definitely worth shopping in the UK.

I suppose it depends how you feel about wearing something that everyone can see is "cheap tat"
Once you have to pay the exchange rate, doesnt even Next become more expensive?
I just dont miss it - halleluja!

bats Jan 9th 2013 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10472495)
I suppose it depends how you feel about wearing something that everyone can see is "cheap tat"
Once you have to pay the exchange rate, doesnt even Next become more expensive?
I just dont miss it - halleluja!

Oh heck I have never shopped in Next! I don't need officey clothes.

Cheap tat is great for the summer, winter clothes need to be better quality. Since we moved here and became cash poor I see the advantage of GiantTiger and the cheap stuff. I try to shop on trips home and in the sales. Fortunately smart clothes aren't needed round here.

Mrs. B. Jan 9th 2013 6:48 am

ah the grey sky, hated that!

Howefamily Jan 9th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10472525)
Oh heck I have never shopped in Next! I don't need officey clothes.

Cheap tat is great for the summer, winter clothes need to be better quality. Since we moved here and became cash poor I see the advantage of GiantTiger and the cheap stuff. I try to shop on trips home and in the sales. Fortunately smart clothes aren't needed round here.

I hear you on the cash poor front, emigration can do that to a person.

cjones Jan 9th 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10469386)

...Come back in March when we've got lovely sunshine and spring flowers out everywhere whilst Calgary is still barren, and then maybe it'll be different. ;):lol:

Oddly enough, that's exactly what we did 2 years ago (the last 2 weeks of March were sunny and in the 20's amazingly). Coming back and having to scrape 2 weeks worth of snow off our car at Edmonton International in April was probably our lowest point in 3 years of being in Canada....We were out of Alberta by November.:thumbup:

Caryatid Jan 9th 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10468963)
I have just come back from 2 weeks in England..and i found that i didn't really enjoy it and found myself sin above sin looking forward to coming back to Canada..i put it down to the weather and the constant rain and wind and i had forgotten how i hate getting soaked when you dont have a brolly!

Or maybe i am going mental and my brain is slowing getting used to all the wrongness of Canada that some how it has become right?..anyone else had a similar experience?

Surely it rains in Canada, and snows and has blizzards and heatwaves? I have heard that in Toronto everything is underground and that in winter you only go outside to drive on the icey freeway . What is the reality? I have been to east and west and central Canada and found it soulless.

Siouxie Jan 9th 2013 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Caryatid (Post 10473893)
Surely it rains in Canada, and snows and has blizzards and heatwaves? I have heard that in Toronto everything is underground and that in winter you only go outside to drive on the icey freeway . What is the reality? I have been to east and west and central Canada and found it soulless.

What-everrrrrrr

:rofl:

Oink Jan 9th 2013 7:09 pm

That's pretty much it, but we're having nice sunny and warmish (8c) weather today.

beautiful050278 Jan 14th 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10472407)
Do you know you can order online from Topshop and have it delivered to Canada for £7.50 standard shipping? (Free if your order is over £100)

Just sayin'

:)

Thats true, but there is nohting like walking into a shop and actually get to try the clothes on. Just hate the thought of having to return stuff if it doesnt fit or I dont like it :ohmy:

I think for now I ll just stick with an American Eagle:)

Auld Yin Jan 14th 2013 9:14 pm

You have heard/been told a load of twaddle.

cheeky_monkey Jan 15th 2013 1:14 pm

Surely it rains in Canada,

it doesn't really rain in Alberta like the rain you get in the UK...it very rarely if ever rains in winter as it is too cold..most of the rain in summer comes from thunderstorms..i have never seen it rain all day in Calgary and only once can i remember it raining all day in Edmonton..lets put it this way i saw more rain in the 2 weeks i was home over Xmas than i have seen in 4 years in Alberta.

mandymoochops Jan 15th 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10484047)
it doesn't really rain in Alberta like the rain you get in the UK...it very rarely if ever rains in winter as it is too cold..most of the rain in summer comes from thunderstorms..i have never seen it rain all day in Calgary and only once can i remember it raining all day in Edmonton..lets put it this way i saw more rain in the 2 weeks i was home over Xmas than i have seen in 4 years in Alberta.

Totally agree with the above, if I remember rightly last autumn it rained for a couple / three days, some of it was hard, the rest kind of drizzled. Thats been the worst of it I think, for 'continuous' rain at least.

Catsteve Jan 16th 2013 4:12 am

If you think it doesnt rain much in Canada you obviously havent been to Coquitlam. It can rain so much I expect to see Noah floating by the window!