Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to EI?

Am I entitled to EI?

Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to EI?

Hi

Originally Posted by jameswales
Hey Guys

Sorry for the late update, had a bit of a crazy evening here. I posted originally just an hour after finding out my job had finished.

Let me update you on my situation:

I was employed by the small company as Director of Marketing. Essentially, I was released by them as they felt that the results gained during my 9 months of employment were not what they expected, and that the challenge of marketing their company was too much for me. They now plan to replace me with someone who can take them to 'the next level'.

I was given no warning, no evidence. In fact, up until today I had no slight speculation that my effort was not up to their standards. Shame really as I am a direct kind of guy, and would much preferred some kind of 'talking to' about my results so that I could do something about it.

Anyway, I was out of there pretty much straight away, and will be paid a week in lieu of them giving me notice.

That's about it. Really came out of the blue. Great shame.
Suggest you look at the labour standards act in the province where you are working. It is unlikely that 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice as it would appear that you were not fired for cause.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Suggest you look at the labour standards act in the province where you are working. It is unlikely that 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice as it would appear that you were not fired for cause.
3 -12 months of employment, it is one weeks wages in lieu of notice in most jurisdictions. After 12 months 2 weeks, after three years 3 weeks.

When let go for just cause, no pay in lieu of notice is usually required.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:07 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys

Sorry for the late update, had a bit of a crazy evening here. I posted originally just an hour after finding out my job had finished.

I was employed by the small company as Director of Marketing. Essentially, I was released by them as they felt that the results gained during my 9 months of employment were not what they expected, and that the challenge of marketing their company was too much for me. They now plan to replace me with someone who can take them to 'the next level'.

I was given no warning, no evidence. In fact, up until today I had no slight speculation that my effort was not up to their standards. Shame really as I am a direct kind of guy, and would much preferred some kind of 'talking to' about my results so that I could do something about it.

Anyway, I was out of there pretty much straight away, and will be paid a week in lieu of them giving me notice.

That sucks. Worst thing about canada can be the hiring and firing culture, one week you are doing a great job, next week "sorry, its not working out". I wish you the best of luck finding a great job and sticking it to them...
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys

A similar thing happened to me last November.

They didn't let me down gently at all just told me I was gone and pushed me out the door I then had a lovely 5 hour flight from San Francisco to let my self down.

I was in my first year too and I was able to get EI.

If memory serves the qualification was 900 hours of work for EI which equates to about 6 months at 40 hours per week. Your Record of Employment will detail your qualifying hours.

You'll get around $1200 per month which is a big help.

Much better than the UK where you have to apply for JSA and Housing benefit sepeartely. You also don't need to visit any dreary job centres- you just complete a 5 minute online survey every two weeks.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 19th 2011 at 5:47 am.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago.

I came back after a lovely vacation to be told that they were letting me go.

I also got EI (There is a couple of weeks waiting period).

You can also complete the fortnightly survey by phone.

After about a month I was invited toa job search seminar, but by then I had already found the job that i am doing now.

Though I did not think so at the time, I guess they did me a favour. The company I am with now pays much better, and treat me better.