Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I being taxed too much?

Am I being taxed too much?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I being taxed too much?

I earn $70k a year. Wifey doesnt work and we have two kids (3 and nearly 2).
No other income etc.
Roughly, how much should I be paying.

I earn $2931.25 bi weekly (gross) but am only coming out with $2143.
Seems like a lot to me, and I've just noticed it changes each month too.
Last month I came out just over $2000.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I being taxed too much?

Originally Posted by jericho
No other income etc.

Sounds right. I am just under that gross and after Comp Pension etc etc i end up with $1800 bi weekly
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I think that it's right but you will be entitled to a rebate when you submit your tax return. I earn about the same and pay about the same amount of tax. However, I understand that you will be able to offet your wife's tax-free allowance against your income, since she is not earning. I haven't completely got my head around tax here yet though, so I may have misunderstood!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
No other income etc.

If you didnt tell them your wife doenst work they will be taxing for the default deduction amounts. You will get a refund when you file. HR can give you a form to be taxed more accurately at source.

New year has rolled around, so its time once more to start paying into CPP and EI again. Come August? it will max out for the year and your take home will go up a couple of hundred again.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 12th 2009 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I think that it's right but you will be entitled to a rebate when you submit your tax return. I earn about the same and pay about the same amount of tax. However, I understand that you will be able to offet your wife's tax-free allowance against your income, since she is not earning. I haven't completely got my head around tax here yet though, so I may have misunderstood!
No, you cannot use a partners tax threshold as they are not earning, however you can get a tax allowance for being married (got to be some compensation eh!). If you earn interest in a joint account an accountant can allocate that for you between partners. There is also child tax credits, which are based on family income.

A tax rebate is not a certainty, don't rely on it, it depends on circumstances. If you have investment income, you may end up owing tax. Tax rebates are not a good thing, all they mean is you gave the government a free loan for the year.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
New year has rolled around, so its time once more to start paying into CPP and EI again. Come August? it will max out for the year and your take home will go up a couple of hundred again.
^^^^ Important point for Newbies to note. And bloody irritating. You get used to the extra income and then it disappears just after Christmas!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
^^^^ Important point for Newbies to note. And bloody irritating. You get used to the extra income and then it disappears just after Christmas!
Yeah, and then you are given the merry news that you wont be getting the customary inflationary pay rise that traditionally fills the shortfall this year because of the state of the global economy:curse:
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You are the one who dictates how much tax is deducted at source. When you began working in Canada your employer should have had you complete a tax form (can't remember the number) which describes how much tax you want deducted, subject of course to the minimum. Some people purposely have tax deducted as if a single person, then are assured of a refund when they file an ITR and claim dependents. You can set the form up on the basis of having a spouse and two children. I have always found that the tax deducted under the Canadian system is quite accurate assuming no garbage in.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
No, you cannot use a partners tax threshold as they are not earning, however you can get a tax allowance for being married (got to be some compensation eh!). If you earn interest in a joint account an accountant can allocate that for you between partners. There is also child tax credits, which are based on family income.

A tax rebate is not a certainty, don't rely on it, it depends on circumstances. If you have investment income, you may end up owing tax. Tax rebates are not a good thing, all they mean is you gave the government a free loan for the year.
I quite agree that they amount to a free loan, so aren't a particularly good investment - although better than many alternatives in the current environment! I'm not expecting any rebate personally, I was referring to the OP's specific situation.

The OP is earning approximately the same as me and paying about the same tax as me. However, he has a wife with no income and dependant children (neither of which apply to me). From what I can see on the tax form, he should be paying less tax, as he can make deductions for his children and non-earning wife using boxes 3 and 5. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/50...000-s1-08e.pdf

I'm still trying to understand the forms properly though, so can you (or someone else) please explain why box 3 doesn't amount to using your non-earning partner's tax threshold?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
You are the one who dictates how much tax is deducted at source. When you began working in Canada your employer should have had you complete a tax form (can't remember the number) which describes how much tax you want deducted, subject of course to the minimum.

TD1
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/td1/td1-09e.pdf
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

On the other hand with two kids under 4 he might be getting $2400 a year in universal tax benefit, which will be taxed at whatever the marginal rate at $70k a year is (about 40%?, so nearly a grand) so its probaby a good idea to over pay tax over the year than to come up short in march and have to find the extra money owing....

I am married with two kids, but prefer to pay at source as single in order to ensure I get a rebate which I can reinvest in RRSPs to boost the following years rebate and save for retirement in some little way.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I'm still trying to understand the forms properly though, so can you (or someone else) please explain why box 3 doesn't amount to using your non-earning partner's tax threshold?
Its similar, but unless its changed recently the married allowance does not equal twice the single allowance. For reasons that escape me and piss me off every tax season.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its similar, but unless its changed recently the married allowance does not equal twice the single allowance. For reasons that escape me and piss me off every tax season.
Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know about earlier years, but the forms for 2008 show exactly the same figures for both personal allowance and spouse allowance, for both federal and provincial tax in Alberta. Maybe it's different in other provinces though.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the TD1 linked in my post above Item 7: Spouse or Common-law partner amount: is exactly the same as your personal amount ($10,100 this year) as long as she has absolutely no income.

Any income she does earn has to be deducted from this amount.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.