Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

am i being silly?

am i being silly?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default am i being silly?

Hi

This might seam silly, we are coming over to canada at easter for a "reckie trip" and doing quite a bit of driving when we are there, we have in the uk a mini DVD so the kids can whatch their flims in the car,which works off the fag lighter, i am 90% that volatage is same in all cars all over the world, but want to make sure it will work in canada?

also is it easy to get from Pearson airport to downtown Toronto, landing easter monday around 14.00? traffic wise

Thanks in advance

Gary
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Re: am i being silly?

Yea it will work all cars 12v
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gary123
Hi

This might seam silly, we are coming over to canada at easter for a "reckie trip" and doing quite a bit of driving when we are there, we have in the uk a mini DVD so the kids can whatch their flims in the car,which works off the fag lighter, i am 90% that volatage is same in all cars all over the world, but want to make sure it will work in canada?

also is it easy to get from Pearson airport to downtown Toronto, landing easter monday around 14.00? traffic wise

Thanks in advance

Gary
Should work fine...12V. Bring DVDs with you, Canadian Region 1 disks will not play unless its been hacked to be multiregion player

Its easy enough to get downtown once you find your way onto the "400" roads (409, 427, or 401), but the traffic is usually heavy round the airport. Mid afternoon holiday monday is probably as good as its going to get.

Main trick is figuring out how to get on to the 401 Eastbound from the airport to head over to Yonge or one of the other North/South streets and downtown from there (unless you go south on 427 and along the Gardener) Its signposted, but it involves crossing over a few lanes pretty sharpish to make the junction IIRC. You want to be in the LH lane to make it easy on yourself when you see the sign.

Once downtown, watch out for the trams
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:32 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion on getting to down town from the Airport would be to head for the 427 stay on it down to the lakeshore, head east and turn up which ever road takes you to where you need to be down town...

I work right next to the Airport and use the 427 for all my downtown trips.

one "back way" is to find silver dart drive in the airport and go south east, follow this around to Renforth Drive take this over the 401 and then turn left which will take you onto the 427 slip road...However…

The easy way is to follow the signs from the airport terminal to 427 south.. and at the bottom go east onto the QEW as you approach the CN tower you are getting close to down town and should start looking for your turn off

The junction of Young and Bloor is where ‘down town’ is approx

Airport map…http://www.gtaa.com/documents/travel...oadway_map.jpg
Yep…. a right nightmare

Area map
http://www.gtaa.com/documents/travel...t_area_map.jpg
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

.......and don't forget most people work Easter Monday, but the schools are off.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

slimon007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gary123
Hi

Thanks in advance

Gary
err change your use of the word fag when you arrive :-)
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:52 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Very good advice.

Originally Posted by slimon007
err change your use of the word fag when you arrive :-)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:05 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Just got back from GTA.
Getting into town is no problem at all.The block system is a great help. You can keep your bearings easily and if you miss your turn you just take the next block along.