Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Always on the outside looking in feeling

Always on the outside looking in feeling

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

bigblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Always on the outside looking in feeling

Read an interesting article this morning on the BBC website about migrants to Oz (yes I know this is the Canada thread) about this feeling of even if you've been settled for years in your new country you can always feel a bit detached – on the outside looking in on something you can't fully understand.

Like to hear from any Brits in Canada that have this feeling of never really belonging and how do you deal with it?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:39 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Always on the outside looking in feeling

Originally Posted by bigblue
Read an interesting article this morning on the BBC website about migrants to Oz (yes I know this is the Canada thread) about this feeling of even if you've been settled for years in your new country you can always feel a bit detached – on the outside looking in on something you can't fully understand.

Like to hear from any Brits in Canada that have this feeling of never really belonging and how do you deal with it?
No such feelings from Ajax.

Next!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:22 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I belong but since I don't have any family or history in Canada I know I will always feel British and I am happy with that because that's part of my identity
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please post the link as I can't find the article? I returned here 9 months ago after 29 years in Australia.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

That feeling isn't just for people moving to another country. I had that same feeling when I moved from London to a small village in Bedfordshire. Most of us adapt and settle in to a new stage of life.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to "deal with it". I'm abroad. Of course I don't feel as if I belong.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I feel like I belong but since I don't have any family or history in Canada I know I will always feel British and I am happy with that because that's part of my identity
Pretty much the same for me. No family or previous history either, however was pretty long in the tooth when I moved over here. This may explain why I think of myself as a 'Scots Canadian'...but happy to be here in Canada and have now accepted it as 'home'.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not a bad feeling, just the side effect of most of the Cradle friends and colleagues growing up with different TV shows, different school culture, they’re informative years and “home” was sufficiently different to mine that we can’t relate to all things all the time and something’s will always need an explanation, but each year I need a little less explaining.
To put into context snow was a half day novelty for most of my childhood and more than three consecutive days was amazing, days that were over 25c well you had to drive south for that or get on a plane, now I have both every year guaranteed
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Well put.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:28 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

"You can take the boy of of Essex but you will never take Essex out of the boy"...funnily enough i felt the same when id lived in a different part of the UK so not really a Cananda thing...ill never be an 'insert nationality here' Canadian.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Can you please post the link as I can't find the article? I returned here 9 months ago after 29 years in Australia.

Here you go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:30 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really "belong" to somewhere you aren't from.

I'm from Brighton. Technically I belong there but it doesn't feel like it when I go there. I know my way around but I'm not part of it any more. I didn't belong when I lived in France, Epsom or various bits of London.

I don't think any of my close neighbours are from Gatineau. At least three are not even Canadian-born and quite a few are Ontarians. It doesn't seem to make the slightest difference to anyone.

What I have noticed over the last few years is that when I'm not here I wish I was. Sure, there are things I don't understand. It would be the same if I moved to Glasgow or Birmingham.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no need to "deal with it". I'm abroad. Of course I don't feel as if I belong.
Pretty much this. I don't really feel the need to feel like I belong.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Feel quite reassured as we're about to move to BC.

I guess I don't feel like I belong where I am now and that's why I explored moving away in the first place. The England I knew and loved has disappeared anyway.

I suppose what I was getting at is it too strange or too big a move to last
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Pretty much this. I don't really feel the need to feel like I belong.
Never felt the need to belong. I moved 3 times in my life and if had to choose one it would be the most recent, here in Ottawa where I have lived for the past 48 years. The place I was born in and lived for 22 years is just a memory and I expect some place I would not feel at home in or even recognise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.