Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by Oink
Bring it on! I love discussions about the North-South divide in the 21st century. It's such playground prejudice and so silly but its riotously good fun at the same time. I'll have a go, all Northern people eat badgers, have whippet dogs, put ferrets down their trousers and say things like "ooh oooh I got nowt fer tea."
The only time you ever put dahn your chim-chiminey sweep is to eat jellied eels, while wearing pearly suits. And you all have horse-drawn carriages at funerals.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by britsnake
I personally have travelled up to towns and villages in the North of England where there are either no, or only a couple of black people. I have also of course been to towns where there are many.

I personally have sat in a cafe in Wigan where I was asked if I knew their friend who moved to London. It is a common question. In Wigan at the time of my visit, there were only 2 black families in the whole town.

My friend who stayed in Yorkshire was even asked if the colour came off.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Im starting to think this is a wind up.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:02 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Blackpool is a bright & vibrant holiday destination & has some of the greatest architecture in the world, not to mention the many museums & galleries...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it on! I love discussions about the North-South divide in the 21st century. It's such playground prejudice and so silly but its riotously good fun at the same time. I'll have a go, all Northern people eat badgers, have whippet dogs, put ferrets down their trousers and say things like "ooh oooh I got nowt fer tea."
I do remember moving to Leeds around 1990 and the local shopkeeper (gruff looking bloke) calling me "love" - "tha' be 3 pound twenty love" - as a decent southern chap I initially looked over my shoulder for the lady he was addressing only to realize it was me (large bloke, short hair). Later I heard a few more use that moniker with other chaps, at the time I thought he was dissing me as a soft southern poofter.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, lets not. dbd with his whippets, pigeons and flat caps was bad enough.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If a girl you fancy says she only thinks of you like a brother, suggest a weekend in Yorkshire.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh God, lets not. dbd with his whippets, pigeons and flat caps was bad enough.
Mind your wallets, lads, the Scouser's about.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:08 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered a gin and tonic once in a pub in Yorkshire. I was asked whether I would like a straw and umbrella with it. Thank god I didn't go for the very dry Belvedere Martini with a twist.

I'm watching Emmerdale Farm at the moment actually. No sign of Amos or Mr Wilkes as yet, but I'm hopeful!

The subtitles are also proving quite useful.

Last edited by lmartin999; Feb 22nd 2011 at 6:12 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

We ask for the north/south argument and 20 Danny Dyer's walk through the door.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Mind your wallets, lads, the Scouser's about.
Calm Down Eh!

I was born in Essex by the way
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
As it says on the bag, 25g of Piggy Heaven
How are they out there? God, I miss a good pork scratching ... as the bishop once said to the priest
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Lancashire jokes that goes

"You can always tell a Yorkshireman
but you can not tell him much. "
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Kid carries basket into the vet's and says "Hey Mister, me cat's sick"

Vet says "Is it a tom?"

Kid says "Nay, I've browt it wimme..."
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
Im starting to think this is a wind up.
Of course it is.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
There is a Lancashire jokes that goes

"You can always tell a Yorkshireman
but you can not tell him much. "
I am a Scouser, married to a Yorkshireman and he takes instruction very well, actually, except when it comes to cricket.
As for the South versus North thing, my OH used to go down to the South on business and always agreed wholeheartedly with all the Southerners when they said that they thought it was grim up North and they would never want to go to live there.
Best left in ignorance of the delights of the North, if you ask me
We have lived in the South - West Sussex and Surrey - we both hated it.

When we moved and I started work in Derby, everyone asked me which school I had been to - as if they would know! There was an assumption that I had always lived in the area because they had never been anywhere else.
In a way, it is quite sweet and old fashioned and in a way it is a bit creepy and sad.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.