Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

All change!!....life in Canada is about to begin!!

All change!!....life in Canada is about to begin!!

Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: All change!!....life in Canada is about to begin!!

Originally Posted by fedup2
I am so happy to read your post. We got our PR status in 2007 but we have not been able to move at all. After waiting for such a long time for this to happen we gave up and sold our previous house to buy the present one. Before we knew it the world was taken over by the awful recession and since then we are trying to sell this house without any luck. we can't go till this house is sold and it is 2010 now. My husband is looking for a job over there but has not had any luck so far. I feel so depressed and just don't know what to do. Can't rent this house and leave with no job, besides renting it is not all that easy either in current economic situation and besides we need take some money with us to go to Canada. I am so fed up I wish I knew what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS we bought our present house because we did not think we will get the PR and our lives were on hold for since 1998. I am just so fed up now.
Hi,

we also got PR in January 2007.. we have just arrived and had a hell of a job at Immigration at Calgary Airport.. For PR status you have to fulfill certain critieria. one being that you live in Canada permanently for 2 years out of 5... ok so we did our maths and added on time we have spent in Canada since which took us up to May 2010.. (this we had obviously looked into)

Immigration said that it may say 2 yrs out of 5 but they prefer 3!!

After hours waiting to see what was happening we were simply told we could go. our bags had been thrown around all over the baggage hall and then got stung on Car hire.. Welcome to Canada!

Just check all your documents and in particular your goods to follow list from 2007!

good luck in your move

Top cat
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fedup2
I am so happy to read your post. We got our PR status in 2007 but we have not been able to move at all. After waiting for such a long time for this to happen we gave up and sold our previous house to buy the present one. Before we knew it the world was taken over by the awful recession and since then we are trying to sell this house without any luck. we can't go till this house is sold and it is 2010 now. My husband is looking for a job over there but has not had any luck so far. I feel so depressed and just don't know what to do. Can't rent this house and leave with no job, besides renting it is not all that easy either in current economic situation and besides we need take some money with us to go to Canada. I am so fed up I wish I knew what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS we bought our present house because we did not think we will get the PR and our lives were on hold for since 1998. I am just so fed up now.
I sympathise with you fedup2 as that's the same situation as I was in last year. I had PR status but couldn't sell the house and even considered renting it but didn't have a job waiting in Canada and also needed the money from the house sale. Sound familiar ?

The outcome was that the house eventually sold after being on the market for over a year in what was a terrible financial time for the UK economy. This was after dropping it substantially. We are now over in Vancouver but after 6 months have still not been able to find a job and now feeling the same as Paul before he got his job. Still feel like that now to be honest and wondering if the initial dream of moving here and all the emotional family and financial sacrifices are/were worth it. Trying to keep positive though and hoping something will turn up for me soon.

Finally, all the best in your new job Paul. I'm over the moon for you (also PM's you). If things don't pick up for me soon, I may have to re-think my plans which may include going back to the UK so hoping out of the hundred or so job applications I've sent so far, that something is waiting just around the corner for me too. Take care mate !
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by trouncer
I sympathise with you fedup2 as that's the same situation as I was in last year. I had PR status but couldn't sell the house and even considered renting it but didn't have a job waiting in Canada and also needed the money from the house sale. Sound familiar ?

The outcome was that the house eventually sold after being on the market for over a year in what was a terrible financial time for the UK economy. This was after dropping it substantially. We are now over in Vancouver but after 6 months have still not been able to find a job and now feeling the same as Paul before he got his job. Still feel like that now to be honest and wondering if the initial dream of moving here and all the emotional family and financial sacrifices are/were worth it. Trying to keep positive though and hoping something will turn up for me soon.

Finally, all the best in your new job Paul. I'm over the moon for you (also PM's you). If things don't pick up for me soon, I may have to re-think my plans which may include going back to the UK so hoping out of the hundred or so job applications I've sent so far, that something is waiting just around the corner for me too. Take care mate !
I can sympathise with you Trouncer. I moved over to Vancouver last year and I am still struggling to get regular work. I have had some work here in my field but its been hard to get a decent break in a slow economy. I moved over on my own really for the adventure and a change...and what a rollercoaster it has been. I have to say I have pushed myself out of every comfort zone and this has really rocked my stability. I came over with an open mind but it really is testing me to the full. I always said I would give it a year (which will be June) and then reassess. If things haven't picked up by then, its back to Blighty.....I have to protect my sanity and my savings!