Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta should become U.S. state, says analyst

Alberta should become U.S. state, says analyst

Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta should become U.S. state, says analyst

Originally Posted by Michael
With $20 billion more tax revenue going to the Canadian government than Alberta receives, you would think the Canadian government could send some of that revenue to BC to give them more of a benefit/risk analysis for building that pipeline.

If the pipeline is built, that $20 billion may possibly turn into $25-$30 billion. If that happens, it is probably a win for Alberta, the Canadian government, and BC. Besides the additional revenue that each would get, more jobs should be created throughout Canada as more Alberta workers are hired and the money is spent throughout Canada.
I suppose the feds could give BC more money but they probably won't.

BC is a have province at the moment, so don't think BC gets much in transfer payments if any.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I suppose the feds could give BC more money but they probably won't.
They probably won't because it would set a precedent and then when they want to build a pipeline in other provinces, those provinces would likely use that as leverage to get federal money.

BC is a have province at the moment, so don't think BC gets much in transfer payments if any.
According to the article, Alberta is the only positive contributor (more sent than received) to the federal government.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

From my perspective, Canadian provinces seem more like semi-autonomous states each looking out for itself more than concern of Canada as a whole.
Which I find somewhat amusing given that Canadian provinces have significantly less powers than US states. That was done on purpose because John MacDonald and Wilfred Laurier thought a stronger federal govt. was needed after the Civil War. All the provincial legislatures are unicameral. The criminal code for example is federal.

But now you have provinces coming up with "free trade" agreements between themselves, it's bizarre. It's still largely illegal to sell alcohol inter-provincially, although they did lighten it up recently. And for example, it's always been required to collect the local sales tax on inter-provincial sales.

Anyway I don't see the slogan on the licence plate changing to "Montana's backyard" anytime soon.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They probably won't because it would set a precedent and then when they want to build a pipeline in other provinces, those provinces would likely use that as leverage to get federal money.

According to the article, Alberta is the only positive contributor (more sent than received) to the federal government.
i was only referring to equalization transfers, commonly referred to as have provinces and have not's.

The have's don't receive any, the have not's receive them.

I think BC and Alberta are still have's, but don't know where Alberta will fall in the coming months, BC's economy is more diversified so we are less affected by oil prices and all that jazz.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Which I find somewhat amusing given that Canadian provinces have significantly less powers than US states. That was done on purpose because John MacDonald and Wilfred Laurier thought a stronger federal govt. was needed after the Civil War. All the provincial legislatures are unicameral. The criminal code for example is federal.

But now you have provinces coming up with "free trade" agreements between themselves, it's bizarre. It's still largely illegal to sell alcohol inter-provincially, although they did lighten it up recently. And for example, it's always been required to collect the local sales tax on inter-provincial sales.

Anyway I don't see the slogan on the licence plate changing to "Montana's backyard" anytime soon.
As much as I would sometimes like to punch those red state rednecks and bible thumpers in the nose , when a disaster strikes any area, the federal government spends a lot of money to help out the states no mater which party is in power and which state is affected.

I also get a little upset about red states wanting to cut federal spending but are normally positive recipients of federal taxes and the blue states are negative recipients of federal taxes but even though the blue states are paying for the red states, most in the blue states understand that it is necessary since many of the red states are poorer or in the case of Alaska, a large amount of infrastructure needs to be developed and maintained.

So even though there are probably bigger political differences between the states than the Canadian provinces, overall most Americans associate their loyalty more with the federal government than the state government.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

That was the intention but, if you know your constitutional law history, you will realise that the Privy Council screwed it up.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:42 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You will be when that earthquake hits
So is it still coming then? Cuz I heard a geo scientist saying there has been a lot of movement inside the ground in the last few years to let it stabilize and the threat of an earthquake is now practically over because of that movement.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Edo
So is it still coming then? Cuz I heard a geo scientist saying there has been a lot of movement inside the ground in the last few years to let it stabilize and the threat of an earthquake is now practically over because of that movement.
I have lived in Earthquake zones my entire life and my entire life its always been the same, the big one will come. Yes it likely will come, but it could be hundreds of years away or it could be tomorrow, no reason to sit and worry about something you can't control or predict with much accuracy.

My dad has heard the same in his nearly 60 years.

My great grandmother would always harp when the news would mention it, I've been here 85 years and still waiting for this stupid thing...

No doubt it will come at some point, but when and where, who knows so why worry?

It's like those in Florida who clammer about earthquakes and California, but how many big earthquakes have their been in 50 years that caused significant damage (2 1989 and 1994) compared to Hurricanes and Tornado in the same time frame, I know it's been more then 2.

Of all the natural disasters, Earthquakes are what I would rather deal with, they don't happen on a regular basis of a size to cause damage, and better chance it wont happen in my lifetime then it will.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That was the intention but, if you know your constitutional law history, you will realise that the Privy Council screwed it up.
Well it does appear that provinces have less power than States. I mean, look at Alberta, if it worked the same way as the US, gay marriage would probably still be illegal. The federal gun registry would never have happened, in fact the Supreme Court decision today might have gone the other way. And the criminal code is federal of course. And RCMP are federal. Not that we don't have local police forces but it's nothing like in the US.