Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta seems popular

Alberta seems popular

Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:52 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alberta seems popular

Originally Posted by iaink
Manufacturing is hit by the strong dollar, so of course ontario suffers more, as it has far more of it to suffer!

Ontarios manufacturing was up last month...let me quote stats canada...
In Ontario, the transportation industry, which accounts for nearly a third of Ontario's manufacturing output, increased 2.2% to just under $8.0 billion. This was the main reason behind Ontario's 1.2% jump in shipments to $25.2 billion

25bn in a month, compared to $5bn in AB. I make that $300bn a year..as opposed to 8.8% of 168bn overall ($16.5bn) in the 2004 figures you quoted for Alberta.

I wonder too how much of the manufacturing and business service output in AB (which has grown as a % as the energy segment contracted) is also tied to the energy sector in one way or another?

Your numbers don't seem to add up:

http://www.2ontario.com/facts/fact01_fact_sheet.asp

If Ontario's economy is $538 billion, and manufacturing is 20.9 % of it, that means Ontario's manufacturing output is worth $112 billion/year - not $300 billion.

I wonder too how much of the service and financial sectors in Ontario are indirectly tied - in one way or another - to Ontario's weak (lots of layoffs) manufacturing sector?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 13th 2006 at 5:57 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, Mr. Huckster, Alberta's economy has steadily expanded since the dawn of time and that expansion will continue until the end of time. It's safe, it's very very safe.
Mr. Huckster? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black with all your little schemes and mistress... if your wife couldn't trust you ... why should we? LMAO.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 13th 2006 at 6:13 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Your numbers don't seem to add up:

http://www.2ontario.com/facts/fact01_fact_sheet.asp

If Ontario's economy is $538 billion, and manufacturing is 20.9 % of it, that means Ontario's manufacturing output is worth $112 billion/year - not $300 billion.
Its not my numbers, its stats canadas, and we already covered that elsewhere. Perhaps its confusion over standard 1997 dollars and current day dollars or something.

Albertas manufacturing in 2005 ~94bn, $60bn of it petrochemical. out of a total GDP of 187bn (or 215Bn, depending whose dollars you look at)

Ontarios manufacturing in 2005 133bn, plus 311bn in service industry

Im not going to labour the point anymore. If people care they can google their own numbers.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 13th 2006 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:10 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Its not my numbers, its stats canadas, and we already covered that elsewhere.
I think you are misinterpreting the figures.... what are "manufacturing shipments"? Product going back and forth through the US/Canada border and getting counted just how many times? The Alberta figures for manufacturing I gave weren't about "shipments", they were about contribution to GDP. If you want make comparisons... compare apples to apples... not "shipments" to GDP contribution.

At any rate, Ontario's manufacturing industry is most certainly larger than Alberta's....

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 13th 2006 at 6:12 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I refer the honorable gentleman to the end of reply #48

Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Huckster? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black with all your little schemes and mistress... if you wife couldn't trust you ... why should we? LMAO.
I'm not selling anything here. I'm not promoting anything. You're selling Alberta like it's a swamp in Florida, despite living in Mexico, while I'm just advising caution. There's no need for readers to trust me because I'm not putting them at risk.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:22 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I'm not selling anything here. I'm not promoting anything. You're selling Alberta like it's a swamp in Florida, despite living in Mexico, while I'm just advising caution. There's no need for readers to trust me because I'm not putting them at risk.
I'm not selling anything here.... just countering your misinformation about Alberta. If you aren't talking about how its some haven for rednecks ..... then it's about how its economy could go bust at any time. On a proportional basis, Ontario has just as many rednecks as Alberta.

I lived in Alberta for 15 years, made some money there and retired at 40 thanks to its economy and a lot of hard work. I was born in Ontario and graduated from university there before I left at 25.... still visit family there every year or so.... I know a good deal about both places.

.... and btw, the Okanagan valley is not in Mexico.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 13th 2006 at 6:26 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not selling anything here.... just countering your misinformation about Alberta. If you aren't talking about how its some haven for rednecks ..... then it's about how its economy could go bust at any time. On a proportional basis, Ontario has just as many rednecks as Alberta.

I lived in Alberta for 15 years, made some money there and retired at 40 thanks to its economy and a lot of hard work. I was born in Ontario and graduated from university there before I left at 25.... still visit family there every year or so.... I know a good deal about both places.

.... and btw, the Okanagan valley is not in Mexico.
I know you've mentioned having a trailer in the Okanagan as well as an apartment in Mexico. I guess that's just reward for all those years in Alberta.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If you aren't talking about how its some haven for rednecks ..... then it's about how its economy could go bust at any time.
I dont think he said at any time, just at some time. And history has shown that thats a fair bet.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:37 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody else feel like they just read through a bunch of economists debating?

Sorry... didn't mean to interupt or anything, I must say, if you lot are British Expats (I'm an imposter myself) then you certainly got the patriotic/provincial bug in you... *stands up & starts singing* Ohhhhh Canada...
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Daedra
Does anybody else feel like they just read through a bunch of economists debating?

Sorry... didn't mean to interupt or anything, I must say, if you lot are British Expats (I'm an imposter myself) then you certainly got the patriotic/provincial bug in you... *stands up & starts singing* Ohhhhh Canada...
I do not have the patriotic/provincial bug. I am not a great fan of Ontario, nor of Canada in general. I do however think that one should install antlers on one's truck before driving in Alberta, so as to not to be conspicuous.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Daedra
*stands up & starts singing* Ohhhhh Canada...
Rather alarmed that that was exactly how O/S #1s first day at school started! I wasnt expecting that I can tell you.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:45 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I know you've mentioned having a trailer in the Okanagan as well as an apartment in Mexico. I guess that's just reward for all those years in Alberta.
I never said any such thing.... just more of the usual distortion coming from you. I have a motor home in BC, and a house in Mexico, here it is:

Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I never said any such thing.... just more of the usual distortion coming from you. I have a motor home in BC, and a house in Mexico, here it is:

Is it still there...didnt hurricane John pass close to Los Cabos?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:52 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I dont think he said at any time, just at some time. And history has shown that thats a fair bet.
Show me that Alberta's economy is anymore prone to recession than Ontario's.... history has shown that it isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.