Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta residents - can I pick your brains please?

Alberta residents - can I pick your brains please?

Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Alberta residents - can I pick your brains please?

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin
I wonder if people's expectations of life rise as soon as they emigrate.
In my case I loved LOVED living away from the UK. If it hadn't have been for husbands lack of work there is no way I would have left the Canaries.
So I guess my expectations of life DID rise. I was happy. I loved my surroundings. Not a day went by I wasn't thankful to be there and have those views.
Returning to the UK has confirmed all my beliefs and so there is not a chance in hell I'm sticking about

Last edited by Harrisonasa; Apr 30th 2014 at 6:02 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
Yes, I admit to being slightly daunted at the prospect of living in Alberta because there seems to be a fair bit of negativity (I now picture Walter White in New Hampshire in the 5th season of Breaking Bad - I think it was the 5th). But I am hoping that a: that is wrong, b: that we enjoy it and c: that the prospect of moving on a little down the line to a different province becomes a possibility
Haha, don't picture Walter White in New Hampshire. Picture the Coen Brothers' movie, Fargo. Or better yet, see if you can track down the new TV series Fargo, which was actually filmed in Alberta!
Old May 1st 2014, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

angeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Donnykins
I thought I'd get some flack. My reasons for moving are somewhat shallow and naive - I know this. Alberta, or indeed Canada may not end up our 'forever home' , but for now it's a break from the pressure cooker that is now the UK. Much has changed in just a few short years. Yes, there are the world-class universities, culture, arts etc... in the UK, but who can afford to visit/use them? We are currently playing 40% income tax and 20% VAT. We have good salaries, but are not living as comfortably as we should be, or indeed once were. I appreciate that there are a lot of people worse off but...

I know the streets of Canada are not paved with gold, and I also understand that it will have plenty of its own issues, but I'm not alone in wanting out of the UK. The past 5 years of so, have been too much for most, and it is only going to get worse. The UK came bottom out of all of the rest of Europe for standard of living and quality of life.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light

Lol. Thanks. Didn't realise Fargo was filmed there! Must watch it!
Old May 5th 2014, 8:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
This is a silly argument. I would say taxes are lower here, but cost of living is considerably higher.
The common response on here about salaries etc is that you pretty much need to have a joint income of $100k minimum to be comfortable.

I would imagine most people in the UK have an income of much less than that, yet live more comfortably than they would here on the same money.
It's not a silly argument, like I said, worked it out multiple times over the years. Even if the cost of living overall were the same (which I dispute) you get to keep more money because of the lower taxes so you are better off.

Someone casually saying you need $100,000 is purely anecdotal and based on their lifestyle; actually sit down and work it out carefully.

The only things I've come across that are more expensive generally are car insurance (although in my case it's something like 15% more so not a big deal) and dentistry isn't covered by AHS. But NHS dentists are crap anyway imx so in reality the cost is roughly the same as using a private dentist. Certain grocery items are a bit more expensive (especially alcohol), depends on what you eat.

If you have a medical condition and need prescriptions for it (I do) then that costs more because it's $25 per prescription (assuming you have a plan) whereas in the UK it's covered by the NHS but the amount I save in tax easily covers the additional expense and then some.

Anyway, in my case, it's not a theory, it's a very certain fact as my savings can attest to. Experiences may vary.

Like I said further back, I do think some of it is lack of experience in the best place or best way to buy something in Canada, which is not the same as in Europe.
Old May 6th 2014, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's not a silly argument, like I said, worked it out multiple times over the years. Even if the cost of living overall were the same (which I dispute) you get to keep more money because of the lower taxes so you are better off.

Someone casually saying you need $100,000 is purely anecdotal and based on their lifestyle; actually sit down and work it out carefully.

The only things I've come across that are more expensive generally are car insurance (although in my case it's something like 15% more so not a big deal) and dentistry isn't covered by AHS. But NHS dentists are crap anyway imx so in reality the cost is roughly the same as using a private dentist. Certain grocery items are a bit more expensive (especially alcohol), depends on what you eat.

If you have a medical condition and need prescriptions for it (I do) then that costs more because it's $25 per prescription (assuming you have a plan) whereas in the UK it's covered by the NHS but the amount I save in tax easily covers the additional expense and then some.

Anyway, in my case, it's not a theory, it's a very certain fact as my savings can attest to. Experiences may vary.

Like I said further back, I do think some of it is lack of experience in the best place or best way to buy something in Canada, which is not the same as in Europe.
Doesn't this vary by what kind of benefit plan you have? I don't pay anything for prescriptions.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
there is no way I would have left the Canaries.
Umm... like I keep saying, do not underestimate the weather. And if you're used to the weather there, then the weather here is going to be a shock. We've still got snow on the ground (in fact it snowed over the weekend). I'd say December through February you just don't go outside unless you absolutely have to.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by justkidding
Doesn't this vary by what kind of benefit plan you have? I don't pay anything for prescriptions.
Well yeah, I meant ABC which is the most popular one.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh and cellphones. Fortunately I usually have access to wifi.
Old May 6th 2014, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Umm... like I keep saying, do not underestimate the weather. And if you're used to the weather there, then the weather here is going to be a shock. We've still got snow on the ground (in fact it snowed over the weekend). I'd say December through February you just don't go outside unless you absolutely have to.
+1 to this. The weather and my low vitamin D levels are making me HATE it here right now. We had a 20 degree temperature swing from Thursday to Friday last week 22 down to 2 and snow. I am keeping everything crossed that we eventually get a decent summer this year, we don't need any more moisture that's for sure. My 6 year old step daughter told me on Sunday that she is done with rain and snow and wants sun shine, so it's not just affecting adults either.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TanieBird
+1 to this. The weather and my low vitamin D levels are making me HATE it here right now. We had a 20 degree temperature swing from Thursday to Friday last week 22 down to 2 and snow. I am keeping everything crossed that we eventually get a decent summer this year, we don't need any more moisture that's for sure. My 6 year old step daughter told me on Sunday that she is done with rain and snow and wants sun shine, so it's not just affecting adults either.
Isn't it around now that the floods start?
Old May 6th 2014, 10:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And the mosquitoes. Don't forget the mosquitoes.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
And the mosquitoes. Don't forget the mosquitoes.
And I'd forgotten the mosquitoes.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Well yeah, I meant ABC which is the most popular one.
I'm not quite getting this. Do you pay $25 for every prescription? Isn't there different plans within Blue Cross? Is this your employers plan?
Old May 6th 2014, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With the amount of snow we've had there have been many alerts already regarding flooding in the Province. Hopefully it is nothing like last year.

Ah yes, mosquitos. I still get eaten alive here. They were really bad last year with all the extra water around and I fear this year will be the same (grass is green already when you can see it!). I've tried every trick in the book to not get bitten by them, but none of them work, I'm just tasty. Runs in my blood apparently as my dad has the same problem as did my nan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.