Reload this Page >

Alberta Net Salary??

Alberta Net Salary??

Old May 30th 2012, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

deliberation... is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Alberta Net Salary??

quick question.

What would be the difference between earning $140k in Alberta v's BC.
Or in other words - what would the net salary be? I believe AB is much lower tax??

Based on married with two kids - if that makes a difference?

Over to the tax professionals
Old May 30th 2012, 3:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Net Salary??

Originally Posted by deliberation...
quick question.

Or in other words - what would the net salary be? I believe AB is much lower tax??

Based on married with two kids - if that makes a difference?

Over to the tax professionals
Isn't quality of life and choosing a place you really want to live in more important than perhaps a few thousand dollars?
Old May 30th 2012, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
Isn't quality of life and choosing a place you really want to live in more important than perhaps a few thousand dollars?
correct. the work looks more likely to be in AB but we want to settle in BC. perfect solution is working a rotation job which allows for me to work in AB for a few weeks then take a few weeks off (best of both worlds).

Just wasn't sure what the net figures would be and out of interest wanted to check how much more you get hit for in BC tax.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm
Old May 30th 2012, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks
Old May 30th 2012, 4:02 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Or this one .....https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd...o?lang=English

J
Old May 30th 2012, 5:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deliberation...
You'd be better off in Alberta. Contrary to popular belief among Albertans, Alberta does not have lower income taxes than BC, in fact most people in BC pay less income tax because it is a progressive income tax. There's basically a "sweet spot" around $75,000. If you earn less than that you pay less income tax in BC, if you earn more than that you pay less in Alberta.

Also Alberta doesn't have PST.

One of my real pet peeves is that taxing people on lower incomes causes a lot of pressure to raise the minimum wage in Alberta, which is the lowest in Canada (except Yukon). And in the Yukon, they have lower taxes than Alberta does on lower income earners...

The flat tax is stupid. It was done to "simplify" the tax system, well the more logical approach would have been to copy the Federal tax bands.

All these moronic conservative commentators going around putting the flat tax forward as some fantastic new idea - it was a flat tax to begin with, then it was made progressive later on. Going back to a flat tax was a retrograde step.

Causes a lot of pressure to raise salaries in low-end jobs, which is crazy, there is a labour shortage here, we need these people, just scares them away.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You'd be better off in Alberta. Contrary to popular belief among Albertans, Alberta does not have lower income taxes than BC, in fact most people in BC pay less income tax because it is a progressive income tax. There's basically a "sweet spot" around $75,000. If you earn less than that you pay less income tax in BC, if you earn more than that you pay less in Alberta.

Also Alberta doesn't have PST.

One of my real pet peeves is that taxing people on lower incomes causes a lot of pressure to raise the minimum wage in Alberta, which is the lowest in Canada (except Yukon). And in the Yukon, they have lower taxes than Alberta does on lower income earners...

The flat tax is stupid. It was done to "simplify" the tax system, well the more logical approach would have been to copy the Federal tax bands.

All these moronic conservative commentators going around putting the flat tax forward as some fantastic new idea - it was a flat tax to begin with, then it was made progressive later on. Going back to a flat tax was a retrograde step.

Causes a lot of pressure to raise salaries in low-end jobs, which is crazy, there is a labour shortage here, we need these people, just scares them away.
You'll have to explain that one to me. Why not just increase the allowance amount, to ensure that those on low wages are not penalised, and then flat tax it from there? Why do higher earners have to get taxed higher, the more they earn?
Old May 31st 2012, 4:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes you could increase the personal allowance amount I suppose but it would have to be one hell of an increase. Compare it to the BC tax bands, the flat tax doesn't make sense to me.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Also I don't really understand the OP's logic, BC is not a prima facie better place to live than Alberta.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

BC is not a prima facie better place to live than Alberta.
Are you sure about that? We could have a ten page thread in four minutes on this topic, without even trying ....
Old May 31st 2012, 11:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Mmm.

Based on personal experience though of going to BC in the winter, I can't think of many things that would hack me off more than getting on the plane on a bright sunny winter day in Calgary and getting off the other end in Vancouver where it would most likely be chucking it down or in Kelowna where it would be overcast.

Okay it's warmer but not to the point where I would want to be messing around with the malarkey of commuting back and forth.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:02 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm.

Based on personal experience though of going to BC in the winter, I can't think of many things that would hack me off more than getting on the plane on a bright sunny winter day in Calgary and getting off the other end in Vancouver where it would most likely be chucking it down or in Kelowna where it would be overcast.

Okay it's warmer but not to the point where I would want to be messing around with the malarkey of commuting back and forth.
I spent 2 weeks a month in cow town one winter.....know where I would rather be
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm.

Or perhaps leaving YVR on a bright spring May day, sun shining, cherry blossom out then landing at YYC to 50cm of snow. I have lived in both AB and BC, stayed in BC.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

50cm? You mean from a snow pile surely, we get snow in May occasionally but nothing like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.