Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta: It's not just the economy that is booming; schools are too

Alberta: It's not just the economy that is booming; schools are too

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:37 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Alberta: It's not just the economy that is booming; schools are too

Interesting article from the economist on alberta schools:

http://www.economist.com/world/la/di...ory_id=7945805
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:49 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta: It's not just the economy that is booming; schools are too

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Interesting article from the economist on alberta schools:

http://www.economist.com/world/la/di...ory_id=7945805
thank you very, very much, i'm off to Edmonton so this reinforces what i already knew, serves a timely reminder of why i should still go, as some doubts at the moment, and gives further ammo for me, to those who oppose us. i notice the uk doesn't feature in the top 10 in any of the 3 columns, what a surprise.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:22 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
thank you very, very much, i'm off to Edmonton so this reinforces what i already knew, serves a timely reminder of why i should still go, as some doubts at the moment, and gives further ammo for me, to those who oppose us. i notice the uk doesn't feature in the top 10 in any of the 3 columns, what a surprise.
UK education will never be great until people GET OVER THE 11+. You want good education, you need choice & markets like in Edmonton

Mini-rant finished
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
UK education will never be great until people GET OVER THE 11+. You want good education, you need choice & markets like in Edmonton

Mini-rant finished
Personally the 11+ served me very well. I am gratefull for my grammar school education.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:29 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by iaink
Personally the 11+ served me very well. I am gratefull for my grammar school education.
Sure, I'm sure you did and good for you! Reform in the UK is blocked by those who are scared the 11+ would be reintroduced. In my own opinion, the 11+ was better than the current comp system, but it's not necessarily the best system for the future.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i notice the uk doesn't feature in the top 10 in any of the 3 columns, what a surprise.
I browsed the PISA 2003 report when we were discussing literacy rates a few weeks back and iirc, although the UK was included in the survey, response rates were so low that they effectively left them out of the results.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I browsed the PISA 2003 report when we were discussing literacy rates a few weeks back and iirc, although the UK was included in the survey, response rates were so low that they effectively left them out of the results.
Scos norrennuf peepul cud reed the kwestyonair?