Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta Driving Licence - Proof of Residency

Alberta Driving Licence - Proof of Residency

Old May 8th 2019, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

spankysalad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta Driving Licence - Proof of Residency

I'm looking to exchange my UK licence for an AB licence. I have a 2 year temp work permit (IEC) so I count as an AB resident, and I have been here since 10th April 2019. However, I do not currently have a permanent address, I have been using Airbnb in the short term. I went into a registry office today and they said I need a posted bill/statement etc for proof of residency. What are my options? I obviously don't have any bills in my name other than a rolling monthly cell phone plan which is all online. Appreciate any guidance as I need this licence to be able to apply for jobs. And I only have 2 months left to be able to use my UK licence as a visitor.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2019, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Driving Licence - Proof of Residency

Ask them if they have the ability to accept a Statutory Declaration from you outlining the above. You should be able to do so.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

A number of years ago, OH went to the US on a business trip. It was not until he was on his way home that he realised that he did not have his passport with him. All he had as evidence of his identity and possible citizenship was his BC drivers license ...... and that had been enough to get him entry into the States at that time.

The Canadian Border agent informed him, very politely, that a driver's license only proved that he could drive. It was not proof of where he lived nor of his citizenship. "Please make sure that you carry your passport when returning to Canada in future"!!!!

In more serious vein ............. your driver's license has to have an address on it, does it not?
Old May 9th 2019, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

In more serious vein ............. your driver's license has to have an address on it, does it not?
Yes - but until OP changes their licence, their existing UK one isn't proof of living in Alberta - and unlike BC, where simply asserting 'yep, I'll be able to get that thing you're mailing to that address that I have to have' is good enough for ICBC, Alberta insist on documentary proof that you live in Alberta before they'll issue an Alberta licence (Manitoba are the same, we had many dealings with MPI one of which involved going along with a lease) - so you have to show up with a lease, bill, or something else (specifically, electronic utility bills or any mailed correspondence - https://www.alberta.ca/id-requiremen...ion-cards.aspx)
Old May 9th 2019, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Yes - but until OP changes their licence, their existing UK one isn't proof of living in Alberta - and unlike BC, where simply asserting 'yep, I'll be able to get that thing you're mailing to that address that I have to have' is good enough for ICBC, Alberta insist on documentary proof that you live in Alberta before they'll issue an Alberta licence (Manitoba are the same, we had many dealings with MPI one of which involved going along with a lease) - so you have to show up with a lease, bill, or something else (specifically, electronic utility bills or any mailed correspondence - https://www.alberta.ca/id-requiremen...ion-cards.aspx)
Well, I never knew that about BC ......... it must be "new"

I've never driven, so I've never had to get a license, but when OH got his BC driver's license over 50 years ago, he had to show proof of address, using whatever we had at that time ............ but then we had a permanent address, even if it had no furniture in it, and we were sleeping on the floor

But you did answer my question, which was that you do have to have an address on your driver's license!!