Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

alberta construction

alberta construction

Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default alberta construction

I might be jumping the gun a bit but looking to see if anybody has any info. We are focusing on alberta - most likely calgary or edmonton. We've been reading that things are good for employment. Companies were over looking for HEO's at expos last year - the majority being in alberta.

Wondering if anybody who lives in either place might know of any companies worth trying who are more likely to go through a LMO if they havent already. Ive already tried quite a few - cant remember names off the top of my head but ive got a list somewhere.

Also - probably a stupid question so forgive me if it is! Does construction stop during winter and if so then is it for the full winter?

Ive had a look at the job bank for names and also to check out wages. The wages seem to be $25 -30
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: alberta construction

Google the trade and you will find jobs in Alaberta.. the rate your qouting is very low ( depends what job ur after tho ) there is tons of work out there for scaffolders, it would depend what job your after... yes they work all through winter..
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

He's a heavy equipment operator. That seems to be the wage that they get. Some ads were even lower! He has 10 years construction experience but that means nothing if we move obviously.

Over here they make £10-12, time and a half on sundays double time on sundays.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

$ 25 CAD is about 16 pounds, he would have to do his operating certs again I think... I think if your coming for the money its better to retrain and do something else. but if you come and do that at least your earning a bit more, housing is expensive in Alberta.. good luck..
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

We already knew about his tickets. He also has a full HGV licence so if he was employed through that then he'd need to resit that aswell. Not coming to become rich but obviously need enough to survive and also have a bit extra to play with. We manage here on one wage atm and still have a decent enough life. Just looking to try out something new
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:01 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of jobs in alberta really do keep on ploughing through the winter - it's only things like road construction, or stuff that is totally weather reliant (ie you won't see any exterior painters unitl around April .

The work is here theres no doubt, but please do be very wary of "people say there's loads of jobs in Alberta" type statements.

You need to make contacts and jobs are given through word of mouth, I can't believe how many people move out here based on the "they're crying out for labour" line.

If his proffesion is regulated he'll need to resit a trade exam and prove his qualificaions and hours back in the UK to be allowed to do so. I would say come on a holiday, and pound th pavements making contacts, because i've said it before and i'll say it again, because "Alberta is paved with gold" (apparently) hr departments get inundated with CV's from people like yourselves thinking that they will be offered the first ob they apply for.

Just because you are willing and able to do a job, doesn't mean that employers are crying out for you.

My twopenneth.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:16 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

yep i would agree and don't be afraid to take a job that you might think is beneath you i want to get a job in construction and the rigs in the winter so if i have to get a job in a burger joint to tie me over i will a lot of my mates in oz made that mistake went out there with there big degrees and no life experience and did not want to work the lower paid jobs and before they new it they ran out of money had to get mammy dearest to bail them out i for sure don't want that to happen to me
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
The majority of jobs in alberta really do keep on ploughing through the winter - it's only things like road construction, or stuff that is totally weather reliant (ie you won't see any exterior painters unitl around April .

The work is here theres no doubt, but please do be very wary of "people say there's loads of jobs in Alberta" type statements.

You need to make contacts and jobs are given through word of mouth, I can't believe how many people move out here based on the "they're crying out for labour" line.

If his proffesion is regulated he'll need to resit a trade exam and prove his qualificaions and hours back in the UK to be allowed to do so. I would say come on a holiday, and pound th pavements making contacts, because i've said it before and i'll say it again, because "Alberta is paved with gold" (apparently) hr departments get inundated with CV's from people like yourselves thinking that they will be offered the first ob they apply for.

Just because you are willing and able to do a job, doesn't mean that employers are crying out for you.

My twopenneth.
+1
Totally agreed with Mandy
Also checkout house rental & purchase prices where you're hoping to locate too.
Look at what salary you hope to receive for your chosen job and research housing costs / transport insurance etc etc. Example my first quote for some truck insurance in Alberta when I arrived was $3k .. I am paying less than that now but it's worth researching these sort of costs.
All the best
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
I might be jumping the gun a bit but looking to see if anybody has any info. We are focusing on alberta - most likely calgary or edmonton. We've been reading that things are good for employment. Companies were over looking for HEO's at expos last year - the majority being in alberta.

Wondering if anybody who lives in either place might know of any companies worth trying who are more likely to go through a LMO if they havent already. Ive already tried quite a few - cant remember names off the top of my head but ive got a list somewhere.

Also - probably a stupid question so forgive me if it is! Does construction stop during winter and if so then is it for the full winter?

Ive had a look at the job bank for names and also to check out wages. The wages seem to be $25 -30

Have a look at the working in Canada website, it has lots of information including getting certified, plus lists jobs in different areas.

Edit: I just came across this website - it might be of use. http://alis.alberta.ca/wageinfo/Cont...ID=20&NOC=7421

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 11th 2013 at 2:42 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, you've been helpful.

I didnt mean it to sound like one of those "the streets are paved with gold" type posts. Certainly dont think that - i just wondered if anybody in construction or who lived in alberta could tell me wether it was blown out of proportion or true.

We'll just keep applying for jobs and keep doing as much research as possible. Ive had a look at rentals etc and checked the immigration website. Also had a look at wiki which has been helpful. So much to learn!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:07 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta's essentially a boom and bust province. This is an interesting take on where it is in the cycle:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...415713/?page=3
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

We did look at BC aswell but because his NOC is only C as far as i can see the only place he would ever be eligible for PR is through the north east pilot scheme. If we had the choice between the two then alberta would be our first choice
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Alberta's essentially a boom and bust province. This is an interesting take on where it is in the cycle:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...415713/?page=3
Alberta doesn't go bust esp in construction compared to places like the UK or US or other parts of Canada..it goes from Boom with a huge capital B to a downward adjustment with a small d
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:31 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

mate is it easy to get a labourer job in calgary i am arriving in a few weeks and would like to pick one up i have about 6 years experience in working as an electrician and working on the bricks on blocks with the brother.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmonfella
mate is it easy to get a labourer job in calgary i am arriving in a few weeks and would like to pick one up i have about 6 years experience in working as an electrician and working on the bricks on blocks with the brother.
Have you official trade certificates for either (particularly electrical) as they are looking for tradesmen who do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.