Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Airports and PR landing with toddler and pets any sanity saving tips?

Airports and PR landing with toddler and pets any sanity saving tips?

Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airports and PR landing with toddler and pets any sanity saving tips?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No photo. Just imprinted on my brain.
I'd often wondered about the origin of the phrase "shit for brains".

Now I know, so thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airports and PR landing with toddler and pets any sanity saving tips?

We flew last December to Edmonton with 8yo, 3yo and 12wk old! It was actually really easy in the end, they watched the tv screens and slept. We bought boots meals in the airport to eat on the flight and each child had a small tub of their food. In my day bag I have 2 ziplock bags one for each kid which has some snacks, their tablet, a puzzle book and headphones which I pull out and the rest goes in the overhead lockers. I also always bring a spare tshirt that me and oh can wear (for the child puking moment!!) if you are a babywearer it comes into its own in the airport with shattered child

For the dog, I would ring the animal reception centre at Halifax and find out their expected time scales for releasing the dog after landing. How far will you be staying from the airport?
The point when they have collected luggage and are hungry and tired is when my
Kids hit meltdown and there is no way they would have coped with spending 2 hours going back and forth to the animal centre. (I chickened out of bringing the cats on our flight and sent them separately because of this). Look at whether you can go to your accommodation and then one of you go back for the dog (hence asking about times with the arc). Also will the dog crate fit in the car with luggage and child paraphernalia?

When we collected our cats at Calgary, we had to go to the arc, then back to customs and then back to arc. Then the vet would do the checks so it was another hour then. I was so glad the boys weren't there for this as they would have been inconsolable with hunger and exhaustion. (Bear in mind time zones meant they thought it was 11pm).