Reload this Page >

The airport farewell!

The airport farewell!

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The airport farewell!

Does it ever get any easier?!
Just waved Grandma off at the airport, and this one was a toughie.
Shes been here for ten days, as with work it was all she could manage (and it was better than not coming at all!)
But the girls have had such a great time, and my almost four year old was quite upset when Grandma went thru at the airport.
We are lucky this time, because we know shes coming back end of august for about a month, but it had been a year since we last saw her this time!
I knew this was what we were in for when we emigrated, but its still the toughest part!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:02 am
m-b
Just Joined

m-b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The airport farewell!

oh my goodness i can totally identify with you. my daughter last year at almost 4 was exactly the same, and bawled her eyes out as granny and grandpa left through security. it was heartbreaking to watch, as she was screaming at granny not to leave - it doesn't get easier for us unfortunately..... the only good thing is my daughter very quickly was fine again after a fun trip to the park and a treat she perked up, although I think when they hit that age it really sinks in for them too. my younger child isn't bothered yet!
I hope your girls (and you) are ok now and august will be here before you know it!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Last year leaving my Mum behind at Manchester Airport was really horrible and tearful - someone near us actually asked me if I was OK and she said she felt horrible for me as she had just witnessed our emotional scene. I then bawled periodically for the next few hours, poor lady next to me on the plane must've thought I was nuts, she kept ordering brandy and cokes as though they were going out of fashion

There is a strong possibility that my Mum and my sister (and the rest of the family's) are coming out here this year As long as Mum is still in remission (sort of). I really really hope
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:29 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Leaving last year was better than I expected, especially with two young nephews at the airport.....they held it together in front of us, which was very good for 4 & 6. When they got home their UK passports had turned up which was good.

My sister-in-law went around to do an inspection on our UK house the other day and took the nephews.......she thought it would be fine but they cried their eyes out as we were not in the house.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Does it ever get any easier?!
Just waved Grandma off at the airport, and this one was a toughie.
Shes been here for ten days, as with work it was all she could manage (and it was better than not coming at all!)
But the girls have had such a great time, and my almost four year old was quite upset when Grandma went thru at the airport.
We are lucky this time, because we know shes coming back end of august for about a month, but it had been a year since we last saw her this time!
I knew this was what we were in for when we emigrated, but its still the toughest part!
No - I don't think it does, and the older your parents get the harder it becomes. It is definitely easier if you have a date when you know they are coming back or you are going there.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

We have lived here 6 years, and my parents have been out every year for 8 weeks in the summer. Every year, taking them to the Airport, I have bawled my eyes out. So no, doesn't get any easier, and this year my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer, so they cant come. Makes you see how far away we really are.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

We are due to fly out in May this year and have decided to stay in an airport hotel the night before to avoid having to say goodbye to everyone at the airport the next day. Hopefully the farewells will not be as traumatic that way. My parents are booked to come out in August so at least I know I will see them again soon. I am so so excited about our move and I know we are doing the right thing but leaving family is going to be really hard.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:05 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Like PP, it doesnt get easier at all, but it definitely helps if you know people are booked for a visit or you are going, helps to count down the weeks and know its not forever
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:05 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I went back home to the UK at Christmas and I was on my own travelling, as I came here by myself I saw the tears in my Mums eyes and I fought mine back and felt guilty. It was be just trying hard to be strong. I was excited to go back but sad to say goodbye..

My Neice who is 2 keep asking for me, and says I went home on a plane..
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

It defiantly doesn't get easier. We have been here nearly 6 years now, for the first 4 yrs my parents came out every year, then they got sick. So my last visit with mum saying goodbye at the airport was the last time i saw her alive. She died 3 months later of Lung cancer. I missed her by a few minutes before she passed. The following 6 months dad died of Bowel cancer so again airport saying goodbye with brother and sister wasn't pleasant.

Hubby has just gone back to Uk yesterday for a week to visit his dad who had a stroke few weeks ago, saying bye to him at the airport was hard for our 10 yr old son who has never been away from his dad.
Now waiting to see how hubby is liking or NOT his Uk experience after 6 years.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

We said goodbye to my OH at the airport yesterday - he's in Ontario ahead of us to start his new job, while the children and I sell the house and finish committments here.
We will be heading out to join him at the end of May, but it was still a very difficult goodbye - 13 and 11 year old daughter and son and I were all pretty distraught, though 8 and 6 year olds coped fine.
It will be a long 10 weeks...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was a long distance relationship and we had a series of airport farewells; even one after we married and I returned to finish work and sell up etc.

They didn't get any easier. It was harder for her at the airport since I at least had all the checking in, security, making sure I got the right plane duty free etc to focus on while she had a sad journey home.

It was awful to turn and watch her moving to the door, shoulders hunched and then heaving, while supported by her kids.

I ended up not hanging on to sell up and left all that with my mum; retuning to Canada after a few weeks.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wensamjam
It defiantly doesn't get easier. We have been here nearly 6 years now, for the first 4 yrs my parents came out every year, then they got sick. So my last visit with mum saying goodbye at the airport was the last time i saw her alive. She died 3 months later of Lung cancer. I missed her by a few minutes before she passed. The following 6 months dad died of Bowel cancer so again airport saying goodbye with brother and sister wasn't pleasant.

Hubby has just gone back to Uk yesterday for a week to visit his dad who had a stroke few weeks ago, saying bye to him at the airport was hard for our 10 yr old son who has never been away from his dad.
Now waiting to see how hubby is liking or NOT his Uk experience after 6 years.
Hi Wendy, how are you doing?
We haven't seen you in ages.
Sorry to hear about your parents, that is really sad
That is the definate downside to immigration and something you don't think about while excitedly making your plans to move abroad.

Take care
Lorraine
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Hi All,
I know exactly how you feel but I am looking at it from the parents/grandparents point of view.My son and is wife of six months left for Canada 10 yrs ago ,no jobs but accommodation arranged with a friend of a friend .Broke our hearts on the day they left but we knew thats was what they wanted and no way would we have asked them not to go.The place felt so empty once they had gone. After 6 months they had found a new house they fancied so we flew over to take a look.Lovely to be asked for our opinion.Since then we have been over at least twice a year and we now have two lovely grandchildren 3&4 year old boys.Four years ago my son applied to sponsor us as we had decided to emigrate to see our grandchildren grow up,I want to teach them the things my grandparents couldnt teach me because they were not around/fishing /swimming/football etc.Now we have got our visas can't wait for the day we get there,looking forward to the big adventure and being able to cuddle my kids and grandkids whenever I like instead of blowing kisses into a webcam.I hope things work out for you all but the tears will never stop at the airport and the goodbyes won't get any better,but these are choices we make for what we hope is a better future so be strong and enjoy life.GOOD LUCK
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by big ron
Hi All,
I know exactly how you feel but I am looking at it from the parents/grandparents point of view.My son and is wife of six months left for Canada 10 yrs ago ,no jobs but accommodation arranged with a friend of a friend .Broke our hearts on the day they left but we knew thats was what they wanted and no way would we have asked them not to go.The place felt so empty once they had gone. After 6 months they had found a new house they fancied so we flew over to take a look.Lovely to be asked for our opinion.Since then we have been over at least twice a year and we now have two lovely grandchildren 3&4 year old boys.Four years ago my son applied to sponsor us as we had decided to emigrate to see our grandchildren grow up,I want to teach them the things my grandparents couldnt teach me because they were not around/fishing /swimming/football etc.Now we have got our visas can't wait for the day we get there,looking forward to the big adventure and being able to cuddle my kids and grandkids whenever I like instead of blowing kisses into a webcam.I hope things work out for you all but the tears will never stop at the airport and the goodbyes won't get any better,but these are choices we make for what we hope is a better future so be strong and enjoy life.GOOD LUCK
What a great post, acknowledging the downsides, while still positive and optimistic. So glad you've got your happy ending.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.