Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which airline for pets?

Which airline for pets?

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:04 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which airline for pets?

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old now, but I just thought I would give my updated information. I telephoned British Airways yesterday to get prices for taking our 2 collies and 1 cat out to Toronto and I was given an up to the minute price of £154 per dog and slightly cheaper for the cat.

Animals may be moving out there with us much sooner than we had thought now .
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

That's a really good price from British Airways. Do you know what the procedure is if the dog was going on a different flight to us. Would you just take your dog on the day it was booked on flight to airport and leave it with the animal airport staff, and how do you go about with the airline getting the right size crate for the dog? My dog would be flying from heathrow so i guess we have a choice of who i could fly her with. Trying to get a direct flight so not so long for her to go. Although we still haven't deceided if she is coming with us next year yet.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:37 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wensamjam
That's a really good price from British Airways. Do you know what the procedure is if the dog was going on a different flight to us. Would you just take your dog on the day it was booked on flight to airport and leave it with the animal airport staff, and how do you go about with the airline getting the right size crate for the dog? My dog would be flying from heathrow so i guess we have a choice of who i could fly her with. Trying to get a direct flight so not so long for her to go. Although we still haven't deceided if she is coming with us next year yet.
I got my sky kennels for the dogs and cat last year and they are all used to sleeping in them as I leave the doors open all the time. They all really like being in them. If you run a search on the internet you will find Skykennels or Varikennels and they tell you how to measure your dog to get the correct size for them.

Our animals are coming on the same flight as us and if we arrange everything then they will be coming out with us on our flight on the 9th December. We have no luggage to take so just have to check in the animals at normal check-in at Terminal 4 LHR and off they go. Apparently you collect them at the Baggage at LesterB. Sounds easy, and from what I can glean all you have to do is inform the Canadian airport that you are bringing in animals so that they can have a vet on duty and make sure you have all your paperwork for them to hand. If it all comes together then I will let you know how it went.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Smile Re: Which airline for pets?

We got them booked on Air transat for 98 euros each. Had to ring them direct in montreal after booking our flight with globespan on-line

Contact details:

(450)-476-1011 ext-7919
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

julieandchris will become famous soon enoughjulieandchris will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
a few months ago now there was a big dicussion about taking pets abroad, and someone did mention that if we book our dog on the same flight as us direct with an airline they can go as cargo and it is alot cheaper than with a pet travel company. Does anyone know which airline will do this.

Hi
My family and i flew over from england on august 24th from heathrow to canada, we also flew our dog out on the same flight. We flew with air canada they were brilliant, he flew as extra baggage on a one way export. It cost 180.00 for the flight and 90.00 for the air crate which we had delivered to our home before we flew. The price of the air crate depends on how large or small your dog is, we had one of the biggest. He was treated very well we diden't have to book him on until about an hour before we flew. We actually saw him being loaded on. They dont feed them just give them a drink. Dont go with a pet travel company they charge a fortune and your pets dont get any better treated! Plus its less stress on the dog if he can stay with you. Our dog was only 6 months at the time so the less stress the better! Think the web site for air crate was called doggie solutions.co.uk
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi Julie and Chris,
thanks for that info very helpful, as i'm fairly sure if we do deceide to take her we will use Air Canada from Heathrow. Will have a look at that website today. Hope your dog has settled into Canadian life.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

julieandchris will become famous soon enoughjulieandchris will become famous soon enough

Hi Julie and Chris,
thanks for that info very helpful, as i'm fairly sure if we do deceide to take her we will use Air Canada from Heathrow. Will have a look at that website today. Hope your dog has settled into Canadian life.

Hi Wendy
Glad to be of some help to you! If you would like to know anthing else, if i can help you i will.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I have found the cheapest place for crates is somewhere called www.marlinpetproducts.com after checking out practically everyone I could do on the web.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by julieandchris
Hi
My family and i flew over from england on august 24th from heathrow to canada, we also flew our dog out on the same flight. We flew with air canada they were brilliant, he flew as extra baggage on a one way export. It cost 180.00 for the flight and 90.00 for the air crate which we had delivered to our home before we flew. The price of the air crate depends on how large or small your dog is, we had one of the biggest. He was treated very well we diden't have to book him on until about an hour before we flew. We actually saw him being loaded on. They dont feed them just give them a drink. Dont go with a pet travel company they charge a fortune and your pets dont get any better treated! Plus its less stress on the dog if he can stay with you. Our dog was only 6 months at the time so the less stress the better! Think the web site for air crate was called doggie solutions.co.uk
When we finally get notice, we will probably fly with Air Canada and with our dog as excess baggage on the same flight. So, I'm glad you posted this post as it's reassuring to hear from somebody that has taken their dog across in this way and had a good experience. I didn't realise you could keep your dog with you until 1hr before the flight - this is a big bonus .
Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by h_henry
When we finally get notice, we will probably fly with Air Canada and with our dog as excess baggage on the same flight. So, I'm glad you posted this post as it's reassuring to hear from somebody that has taken their dog across in this way and had a good experience. I didn't realise you could keep your dog with you until 1hr before the flight - this is a big bonus .
Hi henry
Air canada is not cheapest way to fly but when you have a pet you want to know they are being looked after. We didn't realise you could until we got there! Had to take him into airport in his crate to book him on, then we could let him out and exercise him outside. Glad to be of help.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

QUAFF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HaMa
there is this link i had, you could give them a call to find out what the process is as they are a little more helpful then our airlines

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb

HaMa
Some confusion here about whether travelling to or from UK. From UK you can travel with ANY airline prepared to take pets and they can usually fly as excess baggage; much easier toi arrange and cheaper. Air France e.g. might even allow small/light oets in cabin. TO UK is a very different matter. On the last leg of the journey to UK thay have to travel with an appproved (under PETS) airline and in hold as cargo. Much more expensive and complicated on arrival. Long haul travellers can of course fly them imto e.g. Paris as excess baggage and then travel to UK by road/ferry.