Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Canada experiences...

Air Canada experiences...

Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all
Default Air Canada experiences...

I am flying for the first time with Air Canada in a few weeks (providing my passport arrives!!!).

I have flown UK - Canada loads of times but I always use Air Transat. Just wondering if anyone has used Air Canada recently and what you thought of them?

Im especially interested to know what kind of in flight entertainment they have.

Thanks
Danny
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:13 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Air Canada experiences...

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
I am flying for the first time with Air Canada in a few weeks (providing my passport arrives!!!).

I have flown UK - Canada loads of times but I always use Air Transat. Just wondering if anyone has used Air Canada recently and what you thought of them?

Im especially interested to know what kind of in flight entertainment they have.

Thanks
Danny
Great in the air, huge choice of films.

Awful ground staff.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Great in the air, huge choice of films.

Awful ground staff.
Good to know, im assuming you get personal screens right?

Do they have any games available on the in flight entertainment?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

BlackIceBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew with them 2 months ago...brilliant entertainment system via personal screens. However, I took my laptop and plugged myself into the power socket provided. The choice is yours.

Check out the flash multi-coloured lights that change the inside of the cabin!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to know, im assuming you get personal screens right?

Do they have any games available on the in flight entertainment?
Yeah, personal screens with lots on offer. Headphones are free, as is food and booze. There's nothing wrong with Air Transat but we're talking two completey different types of airline.

The staff, on the ground and in the air, are very variable. Older women and screamers tend to be the best, as is the case with all airlines.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:58 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yeah, personal screens with lots on offer. Headphones are free, as is food and booze. There's nothing wrong with Air Transat but we're talking two completey different types of airline.

The staff, on the ground and in the air, are very variable. Older women and screamers tend to be the best, as is the case with all airlines.
Are some airports worse than others? Service at Montréal has always tended to be shabby in my experience.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Good information thanks everyone!

So are the touch screen systems new? I heard a rumour that they upgraded recently?

Sounds pretty cool. Every Canadian I ask seems to HATE Air Canada.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
C'est correck

So are the touch screen systems new? I heard a rumour that they upgraded recently?

Touchscreen.

Americans hate Air Canada too.

They've recently started nickel and dime-ing people for every small extra. Add on to that the poor customer service at the airports and high prices.... yeah, not much to like really.

Hence WestJet are taking their market share.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Are some airports worse than others? Service at Montréal has always tended to be shabby in my experience.
Montreal is a crap airport full stop. I've always found AC staff at Heathrow to be fine.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:14 pm

I think they've re-vamped many of their long-haul aircraft recently. The route I use (Ottawa-London) is served by 767s. They have changed a lot over the last year or so.

There is a big difference between AC domestic and international.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Their internal flight are a rip-off and service is quite variable, largely IMHO due to lack of real competition

Internationally they're better
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I will try again. I flew out with on the 8th April 2009, first time. Full flight due to easter. Excellent experience. I have flown with many airlines and have to say that are as good as Virgin if not better given that there seemed to be a constant flow of drinks throughout the flight. There were a good choice of movies depending on what you like. Food was ok, but that depends on your palate. I also liked the personal screen and power socket. Leg room in ecomony was better than I expected. I will use them for my final flight as when I eventually move over here. Nowadays a lot of the airlines are cutting back on inflight services, Air Canada do not seem to following this route. I was really impressed.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I will try again. I flew out with on the 8th April 2009, first time. Full flight due to easter. Excellent experience. I have flown with many airlines and have to say that are as good as Virgin if not better given that there seemed to be a constant flow of drinks throughout the flight. There were a good choice of movies depending on what you like. Food was ok, but that depends on your palate. I also liked the personal screen and power socket. Leg room in ecomony was better than I expected. I will use them for my final flight as when I eventually move over here. Nowadays a lot of the airlines are cutting back on inflight services, Air Canada do not seem to following this route. I was really impressed.
Until not all that long ago, AC's international flights were also piss poor (you had to pay for everything). The reputation has stuck, which is rather unfair.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Flew with Air Canada 2 weeks ago from Halifax, NS to LHR. Aeroplane had decent legroom (I am only 5ft 1 in though). The aeroplane interior was very clean and in good order - plane only 9 years old. I thought the seats had plenty space (I am vertically challenged) and there was a huge selection on the seatback touchscreen TVs. See here for current listings:

http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/entertainment

I brought my iPod earphones and used them instead of the free issue set.

Food was free as were soft drinks. Overnight 5.5 hours flight served up toasted ciabatta sandwich soon after take-off and also a breakfast of either hot pancakes, fruit, yogurt, etc or vegetarian omlette.

On the way back on a daytime flight we were given a choice of deli sandwiches and later served beef stew or chicken dinner, pudding, bread roll, etc. You can of course pre-pick a special dietary meal online.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Montreal is a crap airport full stop. I've always found AC staff at Heathrow to be fine.
Why?All my visits and final arrival were there...bit of a trek from plane to immigration/baggage control but no more than Gatwick...otherwise everything else was as everywhere else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.