Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Canada or .....???

Air Canada or .....???

Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Air Canada or .....???

Originally Posted by kbryant
The Air Canada baggage allowance is only 23Kg and as everyone else agrees they are shite , you might even be better off with BA.
Their allowance is two bags, each weighing no more than 23kg, so 46kg total - which is substantially more than any of the charters, and not much less than BA's allowance of 2 bags of 32kg.

And not everyone agrees they're 'shite' - I don't! I think most people have been talking about their experiences of domestic AC flights, not their transatlantic service.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Their allowance is two bags, each weighing no more than 23kg, so 46kg total - which is substantially more than any of the charters, and not much less than BA's allowance of 2 bags of 32kg.

And not everyone agrees they're 'shite' - I don't! I think most people have been talking about their experiences of domestic AC flights, not their transatlantic service.

I have a very low opinion of their transatlantic service.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:33 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a very low opinion of their transatlantic service.
Taking my experience over the last three years. Given the choice I would fly (assuming all airlines did all routes) Malaysian and Singapore as Schedule, Air Transat as Charter.

Given the restrictions of Transatlantic, Like dbd I would fly via anywhere to avoid AC!!!
No Take your chances with BA or Air Transat.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:39 am
I love snow

jacki is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]If seat pitch is the space between your seat and the one in front of you, then it's bigger on Air Canada than on BA - but not by much. I'm sure if you mentioned your OH's mobility problems they could arrange seating for you in an emergency exit row or where ever the rows are wider.

Unfortunately the fact that your OH has mobility probs means he definately won't be able to sit in an emergency exit seat. It sounds cruel but if there was an emergency then someone with mobility problems sitting there would hold up everyone else getting out (harsh I know but its reality!! - I used to work as cabin crew)

What about Zoom's premier seating or extra leg room. 36" seat pitch, great customer service &, in premier, 30kg baggage allowance. Just flew with them a few weeks ago & you are allowed 5kg hand baggage as well - we had none so they added it to our baggage allowance giving us 35kg each. OK - food was average but who goes on a flight for gourmet food. I will definatley use them again.

Good luck whichever airline you choose & have fun
Old Apr 13th 2006, 4:01 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think that we will probably try Air Canada for all sorts of reasons but mainly their flexibility to change dates if necessary and we may not be able to book up until a couple of weeks before departure.

If they really are rubbish I will post back but can't think that they can be that bad ...

Thanks again everyone! J
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think that we will probably try Air Canada for all sorts of reasons but mainly their flexibility to change dates if necessary and we may not be able to book up until a couple of weeks before departure.

If they really are rubbish I will post back but can't think that they can be that bad ...

Thanks again everyone! J
Good luck Jenwren - and just a thought, but if you're going AC you may want to join their frequent flyer programme as it's amazing how quickly miles stack up: I had to fly to Aus a few times for work, and always went Singapore Airlines - they, and AC, are all part of the Star Alliance. From those trips to Aus I had enough miles for a 'free' trip to Vancouver in Feb, and another one in May. They quite often give a bit of perferential treatment to their frequent flyer members.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Escapea
They quite often give a bit of perferential treatment to their frequent flyer members.
This reminds me of how AC always starts boarding by announcing their different levels of frequent flyers: "At this time we would like to ask our Super Elite members..." I always wonder about the egos of people who want to be identified as "super elite."
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:39 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And why bring your own food on AC?
Well, maybe it's just me but lukewarm warmed-over tofu, over over-cooked carrots and pasty white rice with a packet of soy sauce is not food... especially on a ten hour flight.

I'm very finnicky... give me plain, wholesome, unadultered, organic, healthful food or give me a whoopin' dose of chemicals. There's no inbetween with me.

I'm the psycho in seat 23A with the 'coolbag' full of protein shakes, organic cottage cheese and watercress. Then later, when the lights are lowered, I gerbil-down on my stash of organic wholegrain oatcakes smothered in simulated Jalapeño flavoured Cheeze Whiz. <drooool>
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:46 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Also, a pillow, blanket, and whatever else you think you might need on board.
I get a pillow and a blankie and even a little pair of sock things and toothbrush! between Vancouver and Heathrow. Cattle class.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:47 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Well, maybe it's just me but lukewarm warmed-over tofu, over over-cooked carrots and pasty white rice with a packet of soy sauce is not food... especially on a ten hour flight.

I'm very finnicky... give me plain, wholesome, unadultered, organic, healthful food or give me a whoopin' dose of chemicals. There's no inbetween with me.

I'm the psycho in seat 23A with the 'coolbag' full of protein shakes, organic cottage cheese and watercress. Then later, when the lights are lowered, I gerbil-down on my stash of organic wholegrain oatcakes smothered in simulated Jalapeño flavoured Cheeze Whiz. <drooool>
I shall continue my policy of asking for an aisle seat. Preferably one a long way away from row 23.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:58 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by smitp11
There's some great info here:

http://www.seatguru.com/

HTH
Patrick.
Another good site for "normal" people's views is http://www.airlinequality.com/index.htm

You can opinions on everything from airlines, airports, meals even amenity kits. It also has photos of food etc.

Jane
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:27 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
These are words I have never before heard to describe Air Canada staff. On domestic flights they are crap, barely condescending to serve you and nickle and diming you to death. My last experience of them on a trans-Atlantic flight was 3 years ago, but the only difference was that I didn't have to pay for the food and drink (though they were pretty stingy with both). I pray for the day Westjet starts flying internationally.
Oh God. Westjet jokes on transatlantic flights of length... :scared: But I agree. I like Westjet. Hate AC and KLM. Tolerate BA on the YVR outbounds because its a good time for the kids. Zoom OK without young ones. Transat..never again. Bring back Freddie Laker...oh yeah..he's dead. Oops.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:43 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Never had any real problems with AC. They seem much of a muchness with BA cattle at least. AC is the only realistic St John's - London route unless I want to fly for several hours in the wrong direction, so mebbe its because I dont have to spend more than 5 hrs on the plane!

I did a lot of BA flights in the late 90's all in Club class. Very nice but it was on someone elses dime. I still have a pile of BA miles which I need to do something with before Jan 07 or I lose 'em. This is a bit of a dilemma as they dont fly anywhere I want/need to go at the moment!

You have to keep a sharp eye on AC flight pricing. It seems to be very much a moving target. Plus then of course you book a $72 flight from St Johns to Halifax and by the time you add taxes its near $125!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

kingfisher500 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew Air Canada from London Heathrow to Ottawa return over the christmas period and have to say that their service was fantastic.

We were in cattle class but seat pitch was far roomer than we had previously with Air Transat.

Some element of seat choice when we booked in ...would now go for a centre aisle seat as they seem roomier. Food was great choice of main courses, pizza, ice-cream drinks by the gallon whatever you wanted soft of alcoholic.

Newspaper, pillows, blankets, just ask.

Staff helpful friendly and couldn't do enough for you.

Would definitely fly with them again.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

kingfisher500 - that was exactly our experience when we flew Heathrow-Vancouver in February. Maybe AC have improved a bit on their transatlantic flights since the last time some of the posters flew with them. We're not usually impressed, but we were happy with AC and their service was spot on -helpful & friendly without being smarmy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.