Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Age restrictions on workers - max age?

Age restrictions on workers - max age?

Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Age restrictions on workers - max age?

Sorry, I haven't managed to find a definite answer to this although some of the job adverts we have seen have half answered it.
My husband is 40 and looking to move on the LMO route. From what I can gather age isn't such a huge issue there as it is in, perhaps, the UK where "older" people often get snubbed and a "younger model" put in the place instead.
I don't see much evidence of ageism (perhaps an extreme definition for it) over there.
So, a 40 year old carpenter (who will most likely be 42 by the time we get out there) ........ is there hope

Apologies again if this HAS been covered I just haven't managed to find an exact answer. My head is still spinning from all the reading I have done so may have missed it. Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age restrictions on workers - max age?

There's no maximum age limit for a visa, no.

Is that what you're asking, or is it more of an ageism in Canada type question?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you. I suppose I was trying to find out if, say, a 40 year old worker would be pushed down the bottom of the list in comparisson to, say, a 25 year old worker. Or if they treat ages fairly and that 40 year old has as much of a shot as the next person. I suppose ageism does come into it slightly. But perhaps more that he would discounted due to not being a spring chicken . Thanks!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
Thank you. I suppose I was trying to find out if, say, a 40 year old worker would be pushed down the bottom of the list in comparisson to, say, a 25 year old worker. Or if they treat ages fairly and that 40 year old has as much of a shot as the next person. I suppose ageism does come into it slightly. But perhaps more that he would discounted due to not being a spring chicken . Thanks!
OK, so as it's not actually a visa related question, and more of a 'life in Canada' one, I'll move it to the correct part of the forum.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it eventually!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Oh sorry. I thought I was in the right section as it was referring to his chances of getting in on the LMO method. I didnt word it well I think. Maybe your initial answer of no age limit on visas covers it then. Sorry
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

My husband has just said it is to do with the point system. If it can count against him because he is outside an ideal catchment.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh sorry. I thought I was in the right section as it was referring to his chances of getting in on the LMO method. I didnt word it well I think. Maybe your initial answer of no age limit on visas covers it then. Sorry
Oh flip, maybe I should move it back then?!

If it's a 'will he get a job in Canada aged 40' question, it should be in the main Canada forums, but if it's a 'is there a maximum age limit on visas' then it's an immi question.

I thought he didn't need a LMO anyway though? I thought he was a carpenter heading for AB, or am I getting you confused with somebody else?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My husband has just said it is to do with the point system. If it can count against him because he is outside an ideal catchment.
Now I'm thoroughly confused - points aren't relevant to LMO's/TWP's anyway, they're only relevant to Skilled Worker applications, but as a carpenter he wouldn't be eligible for that program anyway!

My brain hurts.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry. Im not very good at this! And now I'm getting confused. He was looking at the job offer method in the carpentry field in Alberta. Yes Sorry. I think my head is swimming with everything I have read!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry. We got confused and muddled up. My apologies. We have been looking at the routes we could use to move over and muddled the info up on them.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry. Im not very good at this! And now I'm getting confused. He was looking at the job offer method in the carpentry field in Alberta. Yes Sorry. I think my head is swimming with everything I have read!
OK, so tell him to forget the points score as they're not remotely relevant!

But as a carpenter, going to AB, he's LMO exempt under a pilot program - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

So that should help, despite his advanced age (she says, only a couple of years off 40 herself!).

Alternatively, if you'd rather move as PR's rather than on a Temp Work Permit, he could look at the Federal Skilled Trade program as well.

HTH.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much. Really appreciate that. Wowsers there is so much to know and read up. Just when you think you have a handle on something it knocks you sideways! haha. Great. Thanks again!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:55 am
AB/SK

Claren is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I haven't managed to find a definite answer to this although some of the job adverts we have seen have half answered it.
My husband is 40 and looking to move on the LMO route. From what I can gather age isn't such a huge issue there as it is in, perhaps, the UK where "older" people often get snubbed and a "younger model" put in the place instead.
I don't see much evidence of ageism (perhaps an extreme definition for it) over there.
So, a 40 year old carpenter (who will most likely be 42 by the time we get out there) ........ is there hope

Apologies again if this HAS been covered I just haven't managed to find an exact answer. My head is still spinning from all the reading I have done so may have missed it. Thanks
I was 45 when I moved here as a plumber, no problems. though they do expect you to work like a 25 year old
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Claren. That is exactly what I was after. Lol
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In a trade I'd not worry about age so much, provided your not like 70 or 80....

But just in case someone stumbles across this post for other occupations in the low rung of jobs like hospitality, or in a resort area like Whistler, being over 30 can and does hurt you, but obviously wont affect you, but just putting it out there as people do stumble across these threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.