Age for Jobs

Old Jan 28th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future
Smile Age for Jobs

Hi

Great site, and very informative.

What's the take on 'ageism' in Canada? Just wondered, I'll be 45 by the time we move, I think. Still healthy, slim and bouncy..!!
But in the UK, forms tend to have age groups: 35 - 45 / Over 45.....as if to stuff all into one group over 45. Crazy stuff.
Luckily my job is in demand in the UK, and hopefully in Canada. But does anyone have experience of difficulty getting work due to age, in Canada.

I've been to Calgary 3 times, certainly people have a positive, young outlook. All the Relocation people say 'skills' are important, not age - I totally agree.

Anyway, keen to hear from anyone on this, good or bad experiences.

All The Very Best.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age for Jobs

I'm 44 and when I first started looking for work here I was told by the local employment service not to put my age on my resume as it's not legal for employers to take that into consideration. But I've never known how you stop an employer from being "ageist" at interview stage and I'd imagine that where we live which is a high unemployment area it might happen more than other places. I've no experience of it though so hopefully not. My second job application got me the job I have now it just happens to be a low paid poor one!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age for Jobs

You should be fine. 45 is not by any means considered old here. You have at least 20 more years to work and with the government recently changing the rule about mandatory retirement at age 65 possibly more. If you were say 55 or 60 you may have more trouble, but 45 is ok.
Good luck with your job search!!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Age for Jobs

Originally Posted by dotnron
You should be fine. 45 is not by any means considered old here. You have at least 20 more years to work and with the government recently changing the rule about mandatory retirement at age 65 possibly more. If you were say 55 or 60 you may have more trouble, but 45 is ok.
Good luck with your job search!!

Thanks a lot guys.