Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

corbyn10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age

To Everyone

:lecture:

In Canada what age can you start drinking alcahol ?

What age can you start driving?

And what age do you have to be before going to Night Clubs ?

:PARTY:

Hope you can help
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

It depends on the province for some things. For example here in Ontario the age for drinking is 19 so not much different from the UK. I believe in some provinces it is 18, certainly no lower than 18 and I don't think any of them are higher than 19. One thing that is higher is tobacco which is also 19 so that is quite a leap from the 16 in the UK, so anyone bringing their 16-18 year olds who may smoke they will be in for a shock, although like most places kids still seem to easily obtain them they do seem to card (ID) a lot more here than I recall in the UK.

For drinking places it all seems to depend on the type. Kind of like pubs in the UK that might have family sections and a lot more places here serve food as well kind of like bar and grills so lots of kids in the early evening with families.
For places that are just alcohol type bars then I believe it falls in line with the drinking age, so 19 here in Ontario. Also places, even bar & grill places, that don't have proper non smoking seperation things won't allow under 19's in. For nightclubs again over 19 but many places have their own age limits of over 21's or over 25's depending on the place. Here I have seen a lot more all ages non alocohol nights too which the kids like for the music etc.

For driving it again depends on the province and the system and whether they have a graduated system. For example here in Ontario they have a graduated system where you have to start with a G1 licence which is like a provisional in the UK. You need to pass vision and a written test for this. Same as UK you need a qualified driver with you etc etc. The difference is you have to have this licence for a year (I think 8 months if you do a young drivers ed course) befor eyou can take the practical test to move onto the next level which is the G2. This level allows you to drive alone etc and only has basic restricitons like 0% blood alcohol and seatbelts at all times etc. Again you have to have this for 12 months before you can take the final practical highway test and get the full G (car) licence.

So you can take the written test to try for the G1 at 16 but you can't get to the full G before you are 18 (or like 17 3/4 or something with young drivers courses). So in that sense you start earlier than the UK but it takes more testing and experience to get the full licence.

You need to check the details for B.C if thats the destination but I believe they also have a graduated scheme.

Drew
Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:50 pm
Munior Jember

danny1001 is an unknown quantity at this point

its way more strict for teenagers getting into bars here (in alberta the legal age is 18) you need ID wherever you go... im 24 and get ID'd almost everytime...