Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

After moving to Canada...

After moving to Canada...

Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After moving to Canada...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Who knows? To be honest, once I had this epiphany I kind of disengaged from the people in the office. I stopped thinking of them as people, but more like irritating puppets with funny voices.
Amen to that.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if its just me? When you let someone out of a side road junction and they don't thank you, or when you let them go in front of you in a queue of traffic......nothing!! Found this very, very rude when I first came here, almost like they're doing me a huge favour. However, got used to it now...even though I still have to say the word "thank you" under my breath quietly to myself in the car.

Maybe its an "Ottawa" thing, where they may have to exert too much energy to wave!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

oh and Toaster Ovens, thought they were a ridiculous idea but love them now!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
High school sports as main sporting news..i still find this strange
Funny....I was talking to my wife about this on a drive up to London, Ontario to visit our daughter a few weeks back. We drove up through rural PA and NY states and on previous drives I had wondered what people did in these places. There really didn't seem to be much employment or recreational opportunities. This last time we saw quite a few high school American football games being played and lots of related traffic. During a stop at a Tim Hortons in upstate NY we mingled with a crowd of people who had just left a high school football game. I also noticed some games on the local radio stations. To be honest, I think the popularity of HS sports is pretty much due to the fact that there's sweet FA to do in these God forsaken places. They are often too far away from major urban centres where they can watch pro sports - and often attending pro sports is prohibitively expensive anyway.

Even where I live in DC's Maryland suburbs, high school sports (particularly American football) is very popular. Most of the high schools have decent stadiums - complete with floodlights, sometimes astroturf and they often sell decent food at lost cost. It can be a good evening out. The soccer can be a bit hard to watch though!

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 7th 2011 at 4:36 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
...what have you gotten used to that surprised you or you didn't think you would?

For me it has to be the number of violent crimes i see on the news. Today on the news there was the following in the same show. I found my self thinking "Ooops, there's another one...." before happily eating my breakfast.

Man shot to death nearby, manhunt still ongoing in Vancouver

Potential homicide in North Vancouver

Young Girl murdered on halloween

Couple stabbed in car-jacking in Vancouver

Young fella on the run after breaking curfew just after being released from prison for killing somebody

Young girls body found in NS

Follow up to a story where a young kid was stabbed to death in a playing field

Drug overdose in the Occupy Vancouver site.
People using the word 'gotten' instead of got.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Fat people.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
People using the word 'gotten' instead of got.
Like i said, i've gotten used to the North American lingo.

Out of interest, if the usage was incorrect, can you explain why?

Last edited by el_richo; Nov 7th 2011 at 6:04 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It simply means that you have adapted to North American cultural linguistic conventions. It might sound grating to a British ear but it's quite acceptable to the colonists.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It simply means that you have adapted to North American cultural linguistic conventions. It might sound grating to a British ear but it's quite acceptable to the colonists.
Like not using adverbs correct(ly) ?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;9718137]"Gotten" still distresses me, I can't take it from Americans, nevermind their frozen imitators.

I can't do this one at all! I have been married to a Canadian for the last 17 years and for the last 10 with a kid! I do not accept this as being normal! There is NO 'gotten' there is NO 'dove' as in the past tense of dive. I suprised myself and fell in love with aspects of Canada, that as a regular visitor I had never thought to encounter, but...I will not deal with odd and unacceptable grammar.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:52 pm

[QUOTE=MillieF;9719577]
Originally Posted by dbd33
"Gotten" still distresses me, I can't take it from Americans, nevermind their frozen imitators.

I can't do this one at all! I have been married to a Canadian for the last 17 years and for the last 10 with a kid! I do not accept this as being normal! There is NO 'gotten' there is NO 'dove' as in the past tense of dive. I suprised myself and fell in love with aspects of Canada, that as a regular visitor I had never thought to encounter, but...I will not deal with odd and unacceptable grammar.

There is actually. Although the British stopped the use of the word few centuries ago it remained and remains perfectly acceptable in North America.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:09 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Oink;9719606]
Originally Posted by MillieF

There is actually. Although the British stopped the use of the word few centuries ago it remained and remains perfectly acceptable in North America.
As do mullets and stacks on your pick up
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

As do mullets and stacks on your pick up
Hey you married into it...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you finish rage yet? What did you think of the ending?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:29 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you married into it...
My new family are 90% redneck - there are some limitations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.