Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Affordable Housing

Affordable Housing

Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable Housing

Originally Posted by leith
Moving to a smaller town may be an option if you don't have to find work. As Jsmith has pointed out, this is much less of a realistic option if you depend on having a job. In any case, rents aren't that much less in smaller place. His latest posting gives some recent figures for Squamish but they're quire comparable to rents in and around the small BC town where I live. Another problem with moving to a small town is the lack of access to amenities, especially health care, and the distances you have to travel to get to such services. Groceries also tend to be more expensive in small towns. If you live in Ontario, the cost of electricity is significantly higher in small towns and rural areas than it is in cities. Altogether, moving to avoid rising rents can be a real Catch-22.
After 30 years of government supported housing declining to its present level of zero, there now seems to be a swing back to addressing this escalating problem at all levels of government. I think this is a tipping point so don't pray. Write to your MLA, your local council, your local newspaper. Contact the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. This organization has over 2000 member communities across Canada. It can push Justin Trudeau to do more than simply talk about helping lower income people to move into the middle class while in fact they're moving even further down the housing ladder and becoming poorer in the process.
That really depends on which Hydro company you receive your electricity from.

Who pays the most — and the least — for power in Ontario? Hydro One, Toronto Hydro among priciest | Financial Post
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

When I grew-up in UK we lived in 'council houses' which were purpose built by local governments to house the lower-income on a 'need' basis.

This plan lost favor in South London and they sold most to the tenants...my father was one and, when he subsequently died, my youngest sister inherited it. She made a killing when she sold and moved out of London.

Have any Canadian local municipalities considered this 'council housing' program as 'affordable housing'?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
When I grew-up in UK we lived in 'council houses' which were purpose built by local governments to house the lower-income on a 'need' basis.

This plan lost favor in South London and they sold most to the tenants...my father was one and, when he subsequently died, my youngest sister inherited it. She made a killing when she sold and moved out of London.

Have any Canadian local municipalities considered this 'council housing' program as 'affordable housing'?
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

I don't suppose it's unique.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
This plan lost favor in South London and they sold most to the tenants..
Are you describing where Thatcher's government brought in the right to buy whereby local authority tenants had the right to buy council accommodation at ridiculous discounts (as if past rent counted as installments) and people only bought up the better properties leaving the inferior stuff behind and used all sorts of scams (eg family purchases) to avoid penalties on the inevitable resale at enormous profit, while at the same time preventing the LAs from building new homes thus causing a shortage of affordable accommodation and legions of families being housed for extended periods in B&Bs because there was nowhere else for them?
(and breathe)

That wasn't the system losing favour in south London, it was forced on LAs all over the country.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are you describing where Thatcher's government brought in the right to buy whereby local authority tenants had the right to buy council accommodation at ridiculous discounts (as if past rent counted as installments) and people only bought up the better properties leaving the inferior stuff behind and used all sorts of scams (eg family purchases) to avoid penalties on the inevitable resale at enormous profit, while at the same time preventing the LAs from building new homes thus causing a shortage of affordable accommodation and legions of families being housed for extended periods in B&Bs because there was nowhere else for them?
(and breathe)

That wasn't the system losing favour in south London, it was forced on LAs all over the country.
Yes. He is.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
In rural Ontario Hydro One is the only choice. How expensive it is compared to other suppliers depends on how much you use. Hydro One charge a large fee for delivery but not very much per unit so, for example, our typical bill is $210 of which $10 is related to the power consumed and $200 is fixed cost. I expect that, for heavy users of power, rural power is cheaper than city power.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In rural Ontario Hydro One is the only choice. How expensive it is compared to other suppliers depends on how much you use. Hydro One charge a large fee for delivery but not very much per unit so, for example, our typical bill is $210 of which $10 is related to the power consumed and $200 is fixed cost. I expect that, for heavy users of power, rural power is cheaper than city power.
You're paying close to double what I am.

Hydro Quebec recently reduced our monthly equalised bill. We'll probably pay for it in other ways though, given who owns Hydro Quebec.

I was stunned when I was in Wimbledon and looking at house/flat prices. No wonder my younger colleagues all rent or still live with their parents. They haven't got a chance of buying.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
"One common definition is that shelter shouldn't cost more than 30% of your before-tax income but with the cost of everything else rising is this realistic?
What do you consider "affordable housing"? Have you managed to find any?
I have been looking at this calculation for a short while in preparation for moving to Calgary next week and renting from 1st Dec.

It might not help you feel better though. It would seem that 30% is the after tax figure and that the pre-tax figure is suggested to be 25%. I also recall reading that these recommendations came from a time that is some decades ago as well and that, as has been discussed earlier, any percentage is relative of course.

For example, a multi-millionaire is exceptionally unlikely to be spending anywhere near the same percentage as someone in the day-to-day world that most of us live in, much less in that case.

I'm working on that 25% of gross to 30% of net range, but they're also not especially clear on whether that is just property or including running costs as well. In Calgary I'll be able to get a one bed place, but reading the reviews, there's not much confidence in some of the landlord companies.

The other thing to consider with renting is that if you do go "cheaper", there's 6-12 months to decide what happens next and you might learn a lot more from constantly reviewing what is really out there and taking a nosey around. Sometimes "small, but comfy" is not a bad place to start from
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I was stunned when I was in Wimbledon and looking at house/flat prices. No wonder my younger colleagues all rent or still live with their parents. They haven't got a chance of buying.
That's why I emigrated. I couldn't afford to buy where I lived and, as long as I was going beyond what's now the M25, I thought I might as well go somewhere with really cheap houses.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If we had to rent based on the 30% of income the financial people always state should be the max, we would be homeless.

Currently monthly income vs rent, the rent eats about 60%, earlier in the year is was around 50%.

Luckily BC Hydro has low rates and doesn't tack on BS charges like delivery fees and what not. So our bill stays low around 40/month.

And we are not in a good area, and not in one of the lower rent buildings. Local vacancy rate is at all time lows, so not much rental stock to choose from.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
(and breathe)

I don't have much detail on the buying of my dad's council house in S. London as I lived in Hong Kong and had never lived there.
My mother had already passed and my dad was taken care of by my youngest sister (unmarried). I found out about the scheme and told her I'd buy on Dad's behalf and they'd pay no more rent or expenses, as I saw the potential investment.....but said I'd sell when dad died.
My sister was furious and said "where will I live?" I told her when dad died the council would kick her out anyway.
I then persuaded her to buy and I'd provide her buying capital fees but she'd need to pay the mortgage...which she did.
Three years or so later dad died. She sold the London house and made a huge profit which allowed her to move to Brighton where she married and had a daughter.
The street where dad lived blossomed from dull-grey fronted terrace style abodes to multi-colored and spectacular modified frontages ...it was rejuvenated as were the homeowners...everybody smiles and wishes each other good morning.....and my sister is a very happy Brighton homeowner.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:48 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I emigrated. I couldn't afford to buy where I lived and, as long as I was going beyond what's now the M25, I thought I might as well go somewhere with really cheap houses.
How did it come to this, though? People in the UK don't make multiples of what people here do. Why should property be valued at multiples of what they are here?
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute

How did it come to this, though? People in the UK don't make multiples of what people here do. Why should property be valued at multiples of what they are here?
Deposit and value of the GBP to CAD (if you have something to bring in) is one consideration. I'd agree with you that earnings and cost of living are relative to each other though.

If I have £10k in the UK as a deposit it won't go as far as the equivalent $17k deposit in Canada. For example, Calgary has a population of over 1 million. For a comparable UK city the prices are much higher for a city of that size. You become affected in two ways, needing a larger deposit and the mortgage multiplier does not offer as much either.

Reports in recent weeks show that UK mortgage multiples of 6 times are needed to match up to say 20 years ago.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I think mass property ownership is an historical blip, society has generally had a few people who owned all the land and a lot of tenants. Exceptional conditions existed in the UK during the 20th century and exist in empty countries such as Canada. The UK is just returning to the status quo; people who have parents who own houses and have few children can have one, people who choose their parents less well cannot. When the population density in the empty countries reaches that of the UK the ownership distribution and possibilities for social mobility will be similar. Competition for "desirable" immigrants, rich ones, will mean that in immigrant friendly locations property prices will keep rising.

In the meantime, someone wanting to buy a property can move to a place where houses are still cheap or they can resign themselves to renting long term, as is common in Europe. Since many people will choose to rent, or have the choice of renting forced upon them, government policies should reflect this reality; big cities need some form of rent control and a revival of the "sitting tenant" laws (in a form allowing for brisk eviction when rent isn't paid or damage caused).

Property, btw, in the UK isn't generally valued at multiples of the price of property in Vancouver, Toronto or even the satellite towns of Toronto such as K-W or Barrie.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:21 pm
Slob

I think mass property ownership is an historical blip, society has generally had a few people who owned all the land and a lot of tenants. Exceptional conditions existed in the UK during the 20th century and exist in empty countries such as Canada. The UK is just returning to the status quo; people who have parents who own houses and have few children can have one, people who choose their parents less well cannot. When the population density in the empty countries reaches that of the UK the ownership distribution and possibilities for social mobility will be similar. Competition for "desirable" immigrants, rich ones, will mean that in immigrant friendly locations property prices will keep rising.

In the meantime, someone wanting to buy a property can move to a place where houses are still cheap or they can resign themselves to renting long term, as is common in Europe. Since many people will choose to rent, or have the choice of renting forced upon them, government policies should reflect this reality; big cities need some form of rent control and a revival of the "sitting tenant" laws (in a form allowing for brisk eviction when rent isn't paid or damage caused).

Property, btw, in the UK isn't generally valued at multiples of the price of property in Vancouver, Toronto or even the satellite towns of Toronto such as K-W or Barrie.
Interesting points. I was basing my thoughts of my recent experience, which involves Wimbledon. I heard a lot of non-English voices in the residential neighbourhood where our office is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.