Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Winnipeg

Advice on Winnipeg

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice on Winnipeg

Hello folks,

We fly out to Winni this Saturday. Haven't packed yet but I'm sure it won't take that long . Stewart has very kindly offered to pick my wife and I up from the Airport and give us a tour of the city. This tour is going to prove invaluable as we're only in Winni till Friday morning so getting to see the city with a local resident is going to be great.

I have a couple of meetings lined up with some recruitment companies on Monday and Tuesday. I also discovered yesterday that there will be a jobs fair on Monday where companies will be looking to recruit IT staff, Engineers, the Trades (?) and Accountants, how's that for a bit of luck!

We'd love to hear from anyone willing to meet up with us for a cup of coffee (or perhaps something stronger !) to talk about how they've settled into Winnipeg. If anyone's interested let us know.

Indy.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

It's cooled down a little now, pack a coat! It's generally zero at night but managing 15 during the day. Winnipeg is Ok but we're glad we live out a bit. Anyone in Wpg thinks you need a passport to get beyond the perimiter highway and that the other side of the city requires an overnight stay LoL - But we like it in Selkirk, 35 minutes north. There are plenty of townships just out a bit that could be well worth a look. No one need be out of work around Winnipeg, but maybe you'll not get your dream job from day one. Hope to help...... give us a call John & Alison
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Hello John & Alison,

Thanks for your reply and PM. I actually looked at Selkirk the other day. Sunova Credit Union is based there. I work for a Building Society here in the UK so Credit Unions will be the first place i look for work.

I will definitely take you up on your offer. We'll call you when we're there.

Look forward to meeting you,

Indy.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Hello folks,

We fly out to Winni this Saturday. Haven't packed yet but I'm sure it won't take that long . Stewart has very kindly offered to pick my wife and I up from the Airport and give us a tour of the city. This tour is going to prove invaluable as we're only in Winni till Friday morning so getting to see the city with a local resident is going to be great.

I have a couple of meetings lined up with some recruitment companies on Monday and Tuesday. I also discovered yesterday that there will be a jobs fair on Monday where companies will be looking to recruit IT staff, Engineers, the Trades (?) and Accountants, how's that for a bit of luck!

We'd love to hear from anyone willing to meet up with us for a cup of coffee (or perhaps something stronger !) to talk about how they've settled into Winnipeg. If anyone's interested let us know.

Indy.
I would be happy to meet up with you whilst you are here just PM me.

As for recuitment my first job was with Pinnacle Staffing Solutions situated portage and edmonton...I worked there for about a year (they are a Job Agency). Try there, the owner is a nice man called Wade Miller who used to play CFL for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (I never held that against him).

I would advise you to give your Resume to these people.

As for Winnipeg i much prefer it than the lures of Calgary, Toronto or any other major city.

The weather is very cold in the winter but as people have said it is not a problem for the most part...A word of caution though is with trades i know that electricians stop working when it gets below -35 (roughly) and generally they do not get paid for those days i am not sure about plumbing because as Stewart said it is generally done in a 'heated' house.

After a cold winter like the one we had last year you really start to appreciate the summers even dare i say it....the rain.

As for areas Stewart mentioned the North End as a less than desirable place to live but understand that there are generally 2 different north ends and if you get the right location you can get very cheap houses there in nice enough areas...

If you look at a map of Winnipeg around inkster - jefferson (north of Mcgregor) These are nice north end areas anything south of mcgregor i would avoid like the plague. And west of inkster it gradually gets worse.
Basically ther further away from downtown and main street the better!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like it might be chance for a get together of quite a few of us.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Grah,

If this becomes a get together do i need to bring my Alka Seltzer with me?

Would be great if we could arrange something for after Tuesday.

Livermanl

Do Pinnacle Staffing Solutions seek employment for Accountants as well?

I've added a bit of info on our profile for those interested.

I will check the forum tomorrow before we leave for our overnight stay at Heathrow. We'll find an Internet Cafe when we get to Winni so we can keep in touch with the forum.

Hopefully if a get together does take place we'll get the chance to put some faces to the names and stories!

I better tell you which ones the male and female as you won't be able to guess from our names.

My name is Indy, (the man!, Ugg Ugg), my wifes name is Raj (the woman, nagg nagg ).

I better go now before she sees what i posted. Will check in later, got my packing to start yet.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Grah,

If this becomes a get together do i need to bring my Alka Seltzer with me?

Would be great if we could arrange something for after Tuesday.

Livermanl

Do Pinnacle Staffing Solutions seek employment for Accountants as well?

I've added a bit of info on our profile for those interested.

I will check the forum tomorrow before we leave for our overnight stay at Heathrow. We'll find an Internet Cafe when we get to Winni so we can keep in touch with the forum.

Hopefully if a get together does take place we'll get the chance to put some faces to the names and stories!

I better tell you which ones the male and female as you won't be able to guess from our names.

My name is Indy, (the man!, Ugg Ugg), my wifes name is Raj (the woman, nagg nagg ).

I better go now before she sees what i posted. Will check in later, got my packing to start yet.
Here is there website:
http://www.pinnaclestaffing.ca/
I don't know what they are employing as of yet but the good thing is even if they are not hiring they may be able to get you in contact/get you a job with someone who is. (I know that Pinnacle do the staffing for Investors Group here in Winnipeg).

Try to give them a call to book an appointment with one of the job consultants they are a really nice group of people and ask them if they new Mike who used to work upstairs and use that as a good conversation starter.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tip Livermanl.

Just rang Pinnacle and asked if i could speak to the person who deals with Accounting & Finance positions.
Apparently on a conference but back on Monday.

Sent the lady my CV and a note telling her i'll call her on Monday.

Its gonna be a busy week! ...in a good way though!

Any restaurant recommendations on Corydon Avenue?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

We went to a nice Italian one!

(sorry, they're all Italian!).

It was on the corner of one of the streets off Corydon (can't remember name), with an outdoor terrace so you could people-watch.

I've just checked my bank statements for June and I think it was called Colosseo Ristorante. We had lovely pasta and wine and a friendly waitress
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:16 pm
Banned

Sorry I rarely venture into that area...I'm sure there will be a sals.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:30 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Sorry I rarely venture into that area...I'm sure there will be a sals.
I think thats about the only restaurant that's not on Corydon.

There's loads of choice.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
...I'm sure there will be a sals.

Those places are awful, I don't know how they are so popular. Bad food, full of the nearly dead... it reminds me of a Littlewoods café midweek So sad that all they could do with that bridge was plonk another bloody Sals in it!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

What's a Sals?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
What's a Sals?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_House_restaurant

I think they pre-cook stuff centrally, and then it's heated at the branches. They're always full, and people actually buy their stuff to "cook" at home too. It's a mystery to me
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mmm yummy. Probably tastes better than my culinary attemps though (I usually live on ready meals and am only now beginning to dabble in actual cooking as opposed to reheating - thought I'd better now I'm a married woman )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.