Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on where to live in GTA

Advice on where to live in GTA

Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:29 pm
Banned

Rollios is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on where to live in GTA

I'm moving to Canada for 1 year to live with my Canadian girlfriend, we are looking for a nice area to live she thinks Vaughn or Missisauga, although she isn't from the area so isn't too sure.

We are looking for a place that is close enough to Toronto as that's probably my best bet for work, but a nice area to live in. We are both 24 and looking for an apartment for no more than $1000 a week between us.

We like to eat out regularly so somewhere with a good selection of restaurants and good public transport.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to live in GTA

Originally Posted by Rollios
I'm moving to Canada for 1 year to live with my Canadian girlfriend, we are looking for a nice area to live she thinks Vaughn or Missisauga, although she isn't from the area so isn't too sure.

We are looking for a place that is close enough to Toronto as that's probably my best bet for work, but a nice area to live in. We are both 24 and looking for an apartment for no more than $1000 a week between us.

We like to eat out regularly so somewhere with a good selection of restaurants and good public transport.

Thanks.
Neither Mississauga nor Vaughan meet those tests.

If you really meant $1000 a week rather than a month you can live anywhere including right downtown, if it's per month, that's possible but difficult in areas which meet the criteria in bold.

There are lots of threads on this. Have a search.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:38 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

$1000/week you say? It's monthly rent usually, but for that kind of wonga, you will indeed be able to get a Condo in the sauga'. Another option will be Milton with GO train access to union station.

The area also has stores, cinema and restaurants to boot. Quick access to the hwy east or west.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:43 pm
Banned

Sorry I meant month! My gf seemed to think Vaughn and Missisauga were around 30 minutes from Toronto?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I meant month! My gf seemed to think Vaughn and Missisauga were around 30 minutes from Toronto?
From where in Toronto? At what time of day? I'd at least double that for Mississauga and almost double that for Vaughan to say Yonge & Bloor.

I've suggested before that Yonge & Finch is worth a look in that price range since it's the northern end of the subway line to Union, passing Bloor on the way. That's roughly 30 minutes.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 1st 2012 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends who live around Bloor/St Geroge and they pay $1100 a month, not including bills. Its a good size apartment in a high rise, kind of a student area with lots of Frats around but generally safe. Loads of restaurants around as its very close to downtown.

You could try Pickering/Scarborough. Both about 20-30 minutes from Downtown T.O and you should be able to get something for $1000. Try looking for all-inclusive places, they help you budget better.

Don't live where I live - Oshawa. Its not nice at all and kind of shock initially. Only here because of the Mr's school and so she can get experience, then were outta here
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:58 pm
Banned

In all honesty I haven't really looked into anything about Toronto so I suppose that is my first step I used to live in Melbourne so though it would be similar to that in wanting to be close to the CBD. I think I will be having a look more into Toronto first and get a bit more of an insight.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:03 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
I have friends who live around Bloor/St Geroge and they pay $1100 a month, not including bills. Its a good size apartment in a high rise, kind of a student area with lots of Frats around but generally safe. Loads of restaurants around as its very close to downtown.

You could try Pickering/Scarborough. Bothabout 20-30 minutes from Downtown T.O and you should be able to get something for $1000. Try looking for all-inclusive places, they help you budget better.

Don't live where I live - Oshawa. Its not nice at all and kind of shock initially. Only here because of the Mr's school and so she can get experience, then were outta here
Perhaps by helicopter. I entirely agree about Oshawa but what is different in Pickering?

The Bloor/St. George area would be perfect if the OP can luck into something in his price range.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty I haven't really looked into anything about Toronto so I suppose that is my first step I used to live in Melbourne so though it would be similar to that in wanting to be close to the CBD. I think I will be having a look more into Toronto first and get a bit more of an insight.
If you're going to work downtown, get an apartment in Toronto - it'll cost a bit more than 1000 probably but, by the time you add transport in, it'll work out cheaper. You'll have way more fun living in town too unless you really do like the quiet life of the burbs.

A couple of random examples:

http://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=17812
http://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=99586
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Perhaps by helicopter. I entirely agree about Oshawa but what is different in Pickering?

The Bloor/St. George area would be perfect if the OP can luck into something in his price range.
We did Oshawa -> Pearson airport in 30 minutes the other day. Yes it was 3am in the morning.. still though! Really depends how they are commuting, Pickering - Toronto is 30 minutes on the GO, I do it regularly.

Pickering is much nicer in some areas, I find with Oshawa that even when you live in the nicer areas you have to go through or to 'not so nice' (&%*&) ones now and then for whatever reason. Im not in Pickering so often so you may be right still though. Rouge Hill is Very nice, more expensive though I imagine.

last time I was at my mates on St George there were a few buildings advertising for Bach, 1 & 2 bed places, take note OP. Lots of high rise around there, coming up for student season so more will be available soon!

Last edited by exenglishman; Jun 1st 2012 at 9:17 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:24 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
We did Oshawa -> Pearson airport in 30 minutes the other day. Yes it was 3am in the morning.. still though! Really depends how they are commuting, Pickering - Toronto is 30 minutes on the GO, I do it regularly.

Pickering is much nicer in some areas, I find with Oshawa that even when you live in the nicer areas you have to go through or to 'not so nice' (&%*&) ones now and then for whatever reason. Im not in Pickering so often so you may be right still though. Rouge Hill is Very nice, more expensive though I imagine.

last time I was at my mates on St George there were a few buildings advertising for Bach, 1 & 2 bed places, take note OP. Lots of high rise around there, coming up for student season so more will be available soon!
I'm not going to quibble but 30 mins to Union is fine if you work in Union and live in the GO station. Add ?? to get anywhere more probable plus ?? to get from wherever to the Pickering GO station.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

Thanks for the replys. My girlfriend will be looking for a job as a teacher in a primary school, although I understand that is difficult so she will be looking into day cares also. I'm guessing there isn't many daycares and schools downtown, so I she may be reluctant to live downtown, although I understand the subway is very good
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys. My girlfriend will be looking for a job as a teacher in a primary school, although I understand that is difficult so she will be looking into day cares also. I'm guessing there isn't many daycares and schools downtown, so I she may be reluctant to live downtown, although I understand the subway is very good
If she has all the right qualifications, I'd suggest she sub for awhile, she might be able to get her foot in the door by doing that.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:34 pm
Born again atheist

Oh dear. There's not even the slightest chance of her getting a job as a teacher (unless she already is a member of the Ontario College of Teachers, then the chance increases from zero to extremely unlikely). She'd need a Canadian ECE qualification to work in most childcare facilities.

Does she have a Plan C?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 1st 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
If she has all the right qualifications, I'd suggest she sub for awhile, she might be able to get her foot in the door by doing that.
The OP's girlfriend is 24 which suggests she has a UK teacher qualification. If I understand the first post they're coming for a year.

Not a chance on that time scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.