Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

advice wanted on where to live in canada!

advice wanted on where to live in canada!

Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice wanted on where to live in canada!

Hi, The Okanagan has:

4 distinct seasons
World class scenery
Plenty to do [outdoors]
Access to other parts of BC for leisure.
Quickly rising real esate prices
Plenty of retirees.
High demand for general and some skilled labour albeit low paying.
Trades in strong demand.
A mainly white middle class population.
110,000 people soi it's OK but not small town mega-friendly, a little too busy sometimes for that and loads of 'newbies' moving in.

etc etc.

Check on this forum for previous threads, I have posted plenty of Kelowna info recently (including economic info and real estate news) and loads of links. If there is anything specific once you have done research and like the look of the place, feel free to fire up any questions. Also info and forum here:

http://forum.wr.ca/view_forum.php?id=2482&fm=10439

Hope this helps.

Rich.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

Yes there are loads of furnishing places, and yes people do have carpet! Look under Car & Rugs at www.superpages.ca (like the yellow pages online).

As you are probably aware there is a lot of new construction and lots of these homes will need flooring so it could be one avenue of investigation.

I am completely biaised but I think Kelowna is the most wonderful place on earth. Beautiful scenery, great weather etc. Look on my personal profile and you can find some past postings I have done on Kelowna. This should help.

Cheers,

georgina

Hi Georgina, we have spent ages on the internet researching on places around Vancouver (and other areas) and loved the look of Kelowna. We struggled to find information on job availability for my trade skilled profession (master carpet fitter). Do you guys actually buy carpet!!! We haven't been able to find any shops for home furnishing or carpet retail. Can you help at all?
Also has Kelowna got a typical Canadian vibe i.e in my eyes coffee shops, friendly people, beautiful views?
Any information on Kelowna would be great thanks! [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:31 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love_it_here
I am completely biaised but I think Kelowna is the most wonderful place on earth.
People on these threads linked below don't all think so. It's good to get a fully rounded view of life (reality check re. low wages, employment prospects, impact of "Sunshine Tax", 400 homeless people, sustainable development issues, drugs and crime issues in the Valley etc) rather than getting carried away with all the ra-ra and hype. That way, an informed decision can be made about relocation by understanding all given aspects and not having any surprises in store:

http://www.discovervancouver.com/for...TOPIC_ID=15861
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=311

Rich.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Cornish couple Do you guys actually buy carpet!!![/QUOTE]

Not so much.

Wooden floors (solid not laminate) are popular here.

Only one of our bedrooms and one open area on the third floor have carpet. The rest is Brazilian cherry.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
... however I’m lead to believe it can be the final straw in the camels back is money is running out, heating bills are going through the roof, and your trapped inside with nothing to do for 4 months !
For those worried about natural gas prices, Albertans enjoy a rebate/cap

Natural gas rebate

Oh, and essentially the $400 each Albertan will receive shortly could be thought of as a further rebate on high natural gas and gasoline prices.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:35 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade

Is that just enough to offset all the extra cold weather you get?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

I think that is why I started the reply by saying I am completely biased plus I know lots of people earning a decent wage in Kelowna - depends what you do. Wasn't there an article recently in the Courier saying that the sunshine tax was really now a thing of the past and that employers in Kelowna are experiencing a skills shortage?

Everywhere has drugs and crime issues but it is no where near as bad as Vancouver where we lived before we came to Kelowna (or Brighton where we lived in the UK), I hate the way you keep portraying yourself as an expert on Kelowna. You are entitled to your opinion but I know lots of people who think that Kelowna is the best place on earth. And, I really resent your tone.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
People on these threads linked below don't all think so. It's good to get a fully rounded view of life (reality check re. low wages, employment prospects, impact of "Sunshine Tax", 400 homeless people, sustainable development issues, drugs and crime issues in the Valley etc) rather than getting carried away with all the ra-ra and hype. That way, an informed decision can be made about relocation by understanding all given aspects and not having any surprises in store:

http://www.discovervancouver.com/for...TOPIC_ID=15861
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=311

Rich.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Everywhere has drugs and crime issues but it is no where near as bad as Vancouver where we lived before we came to Kelowna (or Brighton where we lived in the UK), I hate the way you keep portraying yourself as an expert on Kelowna. You are entitled to your opinion but I know lots of people who think that Kelowna is the best place on earth. And, I really resent your tone.
I'm thinking you must have misread Rich's intent if you resent his tone. Because to the best of my knowledge Rich is a real dyed in the wool Kelowna booster.

I think he was just pointing out that there are people who feel otherwise.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hangman
I'm thinking you must have misread Rich's intent if you resent his tone. Because to the best of my knowledge Rich is a real dyed in the wool Kelowna booster.

I think he was just pointing out that there are people who feel otherwise.

Cheers
Steve
Does he have to be so patronising? - I have lived here longer than him! In fact, when he was looking into moving to Kelowna he emailed me for advice, which I was more than happy to provide. What I resent is him implying in some way that I am misleading people by talking up Kelowna. I can only talk about my experience which has a been a very positive one. Sorry if that doesn't match up with the opinions of the people on the discover vancouver forum, who sound like a charming, cultured bunch of individuals.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Does he have to be so patronising? - I have lived here longer than him! In fact, when he was looking into moving to Kelowna he emailed me for advice, which I was more than happy to provide. What I resent is him implying in some way that I am misleading people by talking up Kelowna. I can only talk about my experience which has a been a very positive one. Sorry if that doesn't match up with the opinions of the people on the discover vancouver forum, who sound like a charming, cultured bunch of individuals.
I think you are being far too sensitive and reading far too much into his response.

Lighten up a little.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Is that just enough to offset all the extra cold weather you get?
I think you'll find that Ontario generally gets longer/colder spells than Alberta PLUS, we get more sunshine

Last edited by Calgal; Jan 14th 2006 at 2:48 am.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hangman
I think you are being far too sensitive and reading far too much into his response.

Lighten up a little.

Cheers
Steve
do you now? Thanks for putting me straight, I am so obliged
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much.

Wooden floors (solid not laminate) are popular here.

Only one of our bedrooms and one open area on the third floor have carpet. The rest is Brazilian cherry.
Have to agree with you there - Hardwood/Tile/Stone is definitely more popular here. We're pulling up all our carpet and replacing with wood, too.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

do you now? Thanks for putting me straight, I am so obliged
Hi,
I have to agree with Hangman - Rich always seems to post very well balanced views, and I don't think he was patronising at all.

I understand what you mean about 'talking up' where you live - I did the same when I first posted here regarding Alberta. But I soon realised that it was MY experience, and everyone else may not neccessarily share the same one! It isn't all positive for many for various reasons, and to be fair Rich was just pointing that out, and saying there is a down side, too. True of anywhere.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:48 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Natural gas rebate

Oh, and essentially the $400 each Albertan will receive shortly could be thought of as a further rebate on high natural gas and gasoline prices.
You are that hard up you consider $400 a real bonus ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.