Reload this Page >

Advice wanted on self employment

Advice wanted on self employment

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

SandyWales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice wanted on self employment

Can anyone help? Need bit of advice.

OH is hoping to get employment in trucking industry, hopefully in Edmonton. If he is successful I am going to be on own for 10 days or so at a time and am worried about getting a job. Got 2 kids so may be a problem getting work in school hours - and not working weekends/evenings. Am a nail technician and work from home in UK - is it possible to do this with TWP? Is self employment in Canada similar to UK? Have tried to research it but unable to find anything on the net.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted on self employment

If you have a spousal openwork permit there is nothing to stop you being self-employed.

The details are a bit different but overall being self-employed in Canada is not that much different to the UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you have a spousal openwork permit there is nothing to stop you being self-employed.

The details are a bit different but overall being self-employed in Canada is not that much different to the UK.
Thank you! It may make life a bit easier if I can work from home.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyWales
Can anyone help? Need bit of advice.

OH is hoping to get employment in trucking industry, hopefully in Edmonton. If he is successful I am going to be on own for 10 days or so at a time and am worried about getting a job. Got 2 kids so may be a problem getting work in school hours - and not working weekends/evenings. Am a nail technician and work from home in UK - is it possible to do this with TWP? Is self employment in Canada similar to UK? Have tried to research it but unable to find anything on the net.
If you are going to run a business from home, remember to tell your home insurer and also check liability insurance issues.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Remember that to get a spousal open work permit your spouse's work permit must be in NOC level A,B or O. If your spouse is coming as a Driver, then that is NOC level C, so you would not be eligible for a SOWP>
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Remember that to get a spousal open work permit your spouse's work permit must be in NOC level A,B or O. If your spouse is coming as a Driver, then that is NOC level C, so you would not be eligible for a SOWP>
Well done PMM, was just thinking that. I seem to recall that her hubby is an HGV driver from previous posts, so she won't be able to work at all unless she can get a TWP in her own right.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:33 am
Just Joined

So as long as I can get my own TWP it may be a possibility?

Planning to get own TWP to work in any case - was going to look for job somewhere, was just keeping options open as I'm worried about my flexibility as an employee as OH will be away a lot. Might scrap working from home then.....
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyWales
So as long as I can get my own TWP it may be a possibility?

Planning to get own TWP to work in any case - was going to look for job somewhere, was just keeping options open as I'm worried about my flexibility as an employee as OH will be away a lot. Might scrap working from home then.....
Yes, you can get a TWP, but that's very different from a SOWP. A Spousal Open Work Permit would enable you to work pretty much anywhere, in any job, without any hassle.

But you'd have to go through the normal process to get a TWP - i.e. find an employer willing to go through the LMO application for you, get them to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian to do the job, and wait a few months for you to start work. You need to get the job offer and LMO first, then you can apply for the TWP (which ties you to that one job and one employer). I don't know what your job is, so no idea if that's feasible or not (particularly given the recession with so many Canadians out of work), but only you will know that.

Just bear it in mind - if you are counting on your salary then you might need to think again as you may not find work for 6 months, a year, or at all.

Hope that's explained it? Good luck.