Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on temp accommodation in Toronto

Advice on temp accommodation in Toronto

Old Dec 1st 2014, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Wafflelord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on temp accommodation in Toronto

Hi Guys. I'm coming over to Toronto in February with IEC (to start job hunting!). I'm massively looking forward to it but it's a bit daunting not having anywhere to stay in the city once I land.

I've looked at stuff like Couch Surfer (www.couchsurfing.com) and that looks like an option for the first day or so (or staying in a hostel). But I’m interested if anyone else was / is in my position? What did you do when you landed? Did anyone secure a place before they got to Canada?

I'm also wondering how easy it is to secure somewhere to rent in the city on a temp (ideally month by month) basis, as I’ll be looking for jobs all over Canada not just Toronto (although that's my main focus). Again anyone have experience of this or have any wisdom?

Any help massively appreciated! This is getting closer and closer and I need to start getting my act together. Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2014, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on temp accommodation in Toronto

Originally Posted by Wafflelord
Hi Guys. I'm coming over to Toronto in February with IEC (to start job hunting!). I'm massively looking forward to it but it's a bit daunting not having anywhere to stay in the city once I land.

I've looked at stuff like Couch Surfer (www.couchsurfing.com) and that looks like an option for the first day or so (or staying in a hostel). But I’m interested if anyone else was / is in my position? What did you do when you landed? Did anyone secure a place before they got to Canada?

I'm also wondering how easy it is to secure somewhere to rent in the city on a temp (ideally month by month) basis, as I’ll be looking for jobs all over Canada not just Toronto (although that's my main focus). Again anyone have experience of this or have any wisdom?

Any help massively appreciated! This is getting closer and closer and I need to start getting my act together. Thanks
Hi,

There is a specific IEC related thread that you can post in for help. I stayed in a hostel when I first got to Canada in 2012. Good way to meet people, but gets old quickly theres a constant cycle of new people, plus working while staying in a hostel isn't ideal. You can also check out airbnb for example, some have had success with that.

As for the month by month basis, you will find there are a lot of places that do month by month, but equally some will do 6 month contracts etc. In my experience the month by month tended to be house-shares on the cheaper side. Last year I was living in a house of 5 people, if I wanted to move out I just said that I'd be moving out once my last months rent ran out, so essentially 30 days.