Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice Please: kids starting school in Canada

Advice Please: kids starting school in Canada

Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice Please: kids starting school in Canada

Hi
I am hoping that someone will clarify something I have just heard:

I have been told that my children will have to sit the TV test before they will be allowed to start school. They are 15, so year 10 High School and 13, so year 8 Junior High.

I have also been told that I will have to prove that they do not have TB. Both had the chest X-ray for the medical, so what else if anything will they need?
Thanks for any advice.
lol
Stef
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:22 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please: kids starting school in Canada

where..what..really?..i took my kids to school at elementary and junior high and they started there and then i was expecting them to be enrolled and start the following week..but no they started within 30 mins of enrolement..dint even want to see their progress reports i had brought from their UK schools..let alone having medicals and tests etc!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't heard of it before.....Anyone had to do more than this to get their kids in school?
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
where..what..really?..i took my kids to school at elementary and junior high and they started there and then i was expecting them to be enrolled and start the following week..but no they started within 30 mins of enrolement..dint even want to see their progress reports i had brought from their UK schools..let alone having medicals and tests etc!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:30 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
I hadn't heard of it before.....Anyone had to do more than this to get their kids in school?
lol
Stef
Nope, we didn't either, just went along and enrolled them, had a little look around then started the following Monday.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing my kids needed was the immunisation record. The local health unit administers the paperwork for that where I am. Daycares and nursery schools also seem to require that green form.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

We was told this as well for son who starts JK in Sept - confused as by that point he will have lived more of his life in Canada than he has in the UK

I think we're going to just try and ignore it and see if they ask again....

I find it somewhat discriminating that he should have to do this just because he spent part of his life in the UK. Surely a Canadian is just as likely to have it, yet they don't have to be tested at 4??

They also wanted the immunization record, which I don't have a problem with.

Last edited by G77; Aug 6th 2010 at 6:44 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

All my daughters school needed was a verbal confirmation of her immunisations, they wouldn't let her start for the last two weeks of term but she went in the September no probs.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - we just walked int to the schools we wanted, then popped along to the school board - both managed to get in for the last week of term before Christmas break - so made a few friends and got invited to parties.

They needed infro at some point about immunisations - got put old gp to email the records - but if we couldnt get them BC would have just jabbed them again
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Only thing my kids needed was the immunisation record. The local health unit administers the paperwork for that where I am. Daycares and nursery schools also seem to require that green form.
had to fill in the green form for nursery school and gave them a copy of the uk "red book" BCG injections and they were fine with it.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids were elementary aged when we came over (or a bit younger). We simply went to the nearest school with all the relevant docs (PR cards, passports, birth certificates etc). They got us to fill in forms, andwe didn't even have to go to have them assessed by the local schoolboard - the school faxed all the relevant stuff over to them and they said "fine go ahead, put them in grade 2 and K (the other 2 were pre-schoolers at the time).

When it came to registering the younger 2 for kindergarten, the same thing happened, the school got us to fill in forms, photocopied all docs and faxed them to the schoolboard - who said "fine yes, they go into kindergarten"....

We were not even asked about vaccination records (although I did have the school nurse call me about them earlier this month asking if I can give her copies of them so that they know what the girls have had. But she stressed that if they are missing any vaccinations it is not compulsory for them to have them. But them holding the records does mean that they know what to offer the kids when they are eligible.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your replies. It seems to be another case of different school boards making up different rules as they go along. I have found out that the area we are heading for, which is LaSalle, Windsor Ontario, there is a need, but don't know if this applies to JK or High School or both.

I will let you know if I find out anything further...ie costs and where it is done and what is done?

lol
Stef
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Clarified with the school today that TB tests are only necessary if you've been here < 1 year. As we've been here 2 years this week, my boy won't need one after all