Advice please

Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

julie8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please

Hi my husband and I are moving to Canada March next year, my husband is studying at the Mohawk collage in Hamilton, Ontorio, we need a 3 bed house so we were thinking or renting in Stony Creek so that its easy access to the collage, can anyone advise on any other areas,
Also could anyone also advise what the cost of a Tom Tom over there is?

Many Thanks
Julie
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

For renting, look at kijiji.ca, punch in your city and go from there. There might also be some on mls.ca.

For a tom tom, look at any of the electrical retailers, such as bestbuy.ca, futureshop.ca, they might also have them at canadiantire.ca
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julie8
Hi my husband and I are moving to Canada March next year, my husband is studying at the Mohawk collage in Hamilton, Ontorio, we need a 3 bed house so we were thinking or renting in Stony Creek so that its easy access to the collage, can anyone advise on any other areas,
Also could anyone also advise what the cost of a Tom Tom over there is?

Many Thanks
Julie
For advice, I would suggest you be a little bit more specific in your thread titles. You're asking about a very specific area in one of the largest countries in the world. I would expect most readers have never even heard of Stony Creek.
Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
For advice, I would suggest you be a little bit more specific in your thread titles. You're asking about a very specific area in one of the largest countries in the world. I would expect most readers have never even heard of Stony Creek.
Good luck.
I have and I can spell it properly.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:50 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Good luck.
It's a vineyard isn't it?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

structured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the rough

Julie,
I lived in Hamilton for 15 years and worked at Mohawk as an Educational Assistant from 2006-2009. Stoney Creek is very accessible via the Redhill Expressway (or QEW depending on where in Stoney Creek you live) and The Lincoln Alexander Parkway. I reckon its about a 15 minute drive without traffic. In terms of renting a 3 bedroom house, If you are looking for an alternative to Stoney Creek proper, I would recommend the Rosedale neighbourhood (lower east Hamilton, King/Lawrence at Rosedale/Cochrane and thereabouts) as an alternative to Stoney Creek. The houses are mostly bungalow type 1940's to 1950's post-war brick construction. It is family oriented and very quiet with easy access to the Redhill and to Hamilton Mountain (i.e. Mohawk). In 2009 you could rent a 3 bedroom house for 1000-1200 unfurnished without utilities included (my own home in the neighbourhood was rented for that amount), you will have to check with an estate agent or online regarding what the rent is like now. I would also recommend Ancaster (meadowlands in particular) but it is pricier. If you really want to save on rent, you could rent in Brantford (significantly cheaper for the type of house you are looking for) and drive the 30 minutes to Mohawk College along the 403. I would however recommend you avoid renting in east-end Hamilton at all costs (Nothing between James and Kenilworth in lower Hamilton). I hope this helps with your decision making process! Good luck in Canada. Cheers

Last edited by structured001; Nov 5th 2012 at 4:30 pm. Reason: I agree with Denhamgirl, however I cannot vouch for East-end Hamilton
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

Hi Julie,

When my husband and I first came to Canada in 2004, we lived in Stoney Creek (mountain) and I went to Mohawk for a year. For the first few months I didn't have a car and took the bus which was a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. There was no direct route from our area (which might not be a problem in other areas of Stoney Creek) and something that took 10 minutes by car, took well over an hour on the bus. So, if your budget allows for it, a car is the way to go.
As for renting, we sold the house in Stoney Creek three years ago and rented an apartment downtown. Don't listen to what anyone says about downtown, there are some really lovely areas, especially to the west of the city. Our apartment was on Bay Street South near Aberdeen Avenue (check out the area on streetview) and it was absolutely beautiful; we now own a house nearby and still love the area.
Good luck!