Advice Please

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Please

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions on here to get an idea of how likely it is that me & my family will be able to move over to Canada on a pr visa as we have a couple of concerns.

Firstly my mum is a senior staff nurse with 20 years experience as well as experience in midwifery, but she is 50yrs old, will her age be a big problem with finding a job?

Secondly I am 22 this year and in my last year of university, i hope to do a masters in canada, will i be able to go on my mum's visa as i am still classed as a dependent?

Thank you for all of your replies, I will show this threat to my mum so she can ask better questions!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please

Originally Posted by Abster21 View Post
Hi there,

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions on here to get an idea of how likely it is that me & my family will be able to move over to Canada on a pr visa as we have a couple of concerns.

Firstly my mum is a senior staff nurse with 20 years experience as well as experience in midwifery, but she is 50yrs old, will her age be a big problem with finding a job?

Secondly I am 22 this year and in my last year of university, i hope to do a masters in canada, will i be able to go on my mum's visa as i am still classed as a dependent?

Thank you for all of your replies, I will show this threat to my mum so she can ask better questions!
Note: I've assumed you and your mum are after PR using the skilled worker route.

Being 50 won't (or at least shouldn't) be a problem finding a job - but she will lose age points on the skilled worker point system (49 is the cut-off).

You need to find out whether or not her job is one of the NOC in-demand ones. Try the BE wiki and the CHC website for more info (note that the BE regulatory body states that you need to do this with a strong cuppa)

As for you individually, I am not sure whether or not you would be classed as dependent if you are going to be a student or if you have to already be one. You might want to think about BUNAC, though this won't help your mum in the short term.