Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for People Coming to Canada

Advice for People Coming to Canada

Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:10 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for People Coming to Canada

Just a quick comment regarding having to pass exams to "qualify" to work here ......

Yes, they are a pain, and an expensive one at that, but you should find (we did, including the "retake") that you can claim the expense back against your taxes at the end of the year.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
looplou

SOME police do try and sort the mess out, but sadly this cant be done because the parents and children have rights.
The parents cant see that the children are doing wrong or cant be bothered that they are doing wrong.
Like the old guy said in our local shop "if the got rid of mr pc then uk would be better off"

Our local police are fantastic, but if the child is under 11 they are not allowed to do a thing, its upto the parents, what do the parents do
i was scared of the police when i was growing up, kids today are not.
Im sorry but the blame is not just on the police but on parents allowing them to get away with what they do :curse::curse:
I want my children to grow up with respect, with values, to get an education, to work and enjoy life and the to bring there chidren up with the same values that they had, sadly in the uk this has gone in a lot of areas, not every area, but you have to earn a lot to afford those areas, sadly working class doesnt stand for anything anymore.
You work your socks off in the uk, for what?????
If you are coming to canada for a cheaper life, forget it, some stuff is cheaper others more expensive.but thats my option and i hate the police being slagged off when they have there hands tired by the higher body :curse::curse:
Hi gill_andy_grew,

I just want to make it clear that I am not slagging the police off in anyway, but the government who have made it near on impossible for them to do their job effectively, and the parents of these children who don't bring their kids up now, but they are dragged up, as my mum would say. The language that the parents speak to their children and the children speak to their parents is absolutley disgraceful. I have heard mothers "f and blind" at their 2 year old. WHAT CHANCE DO THEY HAVE OF A DECENT LIFE!!! It really upsets me.
There is no respect for other people or their property now. This is one of the many reasons why we are leaving. Like you said regarding working class. These people aren't working class because they don't WORK!! They are a sub-class.

Sorry I have been mis-understood it was not my intention. I absolutely agree with everything you have said.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:51 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Don't miss Automotive though. 11 years of screwing suppliers over for cost reductions, it just gets too depressing.
I know! Business ethics 101 it is not. I focus more on achieving cost downs through efficiencies now as am in more of a consultancy role.

I live in Downtown Toronto too- so my rent is not ridiculously cheap.

Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:42 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
One of the best aspects of living in Canada is that casual racism like this is really not acceptable any more.
Yeah right. I got plently while i was in Canada.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Yeah right. I got plently while i was in Canada.
Is that an accent joke?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:00 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is that an accent joke?

Not meant to be no. Just pointing out that every one calls each other in jest. Like being called a POM or Limey etc. No offense was intended by the way. But in my experience i have never had a go at any ones back ground. But i have had it to me. I know what is like to be an immigrant as i have done it. The original thread was about people moving in and causing lower wages etc. This is happening now in the UK. Today i was talking to a guy i know who have just taken on a Polish worker. The reason was he was cheaper than a Brit. It's the way of the world now.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Not meant to be no. Just pointing out that every one calls each other in jest. Like being called a POM or Limey etc. No offense was intended by the way. But in my experience i have never had a go at any ones back ground. But i have had it to me. I know what is like to be an immigrant as i have done it. The original thread was about people moving in and causing lower wages etc. This is happening now in the UK. Today i was talking to a guy i know who have just taken on a Polish worker. The reason was he was cheaper than a Brit. It's the way of the world now.
So you're not Asian? You're a white Brit and you were subject to racism in Canada?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
So you're not Asian? You're a white Brit and you were subject to racism in Canada?

Yes. But that does not make me hate Canadians as they are not all short sighted. People are people the world over. I got Chinees friends from school i still bump into from time to time. I got the Canadians are better than every one yadda yadda and we (the Brits) had it easy during WW2 etc, eh!! Idiots. I had a few pints in NZ with a Maori bloke, and boy did i get stares. They are very conservative here is the word used there. All a bloody shame really.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Since when was pharmaceuticals manufacturing?

The UK is a good place to look for jobs abroad? Great reason for going to live there.

Duration? We're not in the Navy any more. We have lives not Durations.

I strongly urge you to go "Back to Blighty".

Novo.
Yeah, it shows how great your life is in Canada is when you have time on your hands to sit around and make 1,922 bloggs (last count). Perhaps you should get a life?

Just what the World needs, another psuedo-intellectual?

Last edited by johnh009; Sep 2nd 2007 at 3:34 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:57 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yeah, it shows how great your life is in Canada is when you have time on your hands to sit around and make 1,922 bloggs (last count). Perhaps you should get a life?

Just what the World needs, another psuedo-intellectual?
IMHO maybe it would have been better if you had posted this thread in the area for those returning to the UK because you sound disillusioned with the place. You may have had a more positive and supportive approach from members there.

In general people on the Canada forum want to go and live in Canada for whatever reason and although I know it is not the garden of eden it is a place I want to be at this time.

I do not know Novocastrian personally but can see from his profile that he has been a member on BE for a few years and only has an average of 2.5 posts per day which seems few compared to some on here. Please do not personally attack members as this may put off prospective users.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

With regard to the Police in the U.K., I agree it's not their fault, their hands are tied.

We live in quite a good area (Norfolk), and there are much worse places for crime ect.... but we can see how the kids (not all) are being raised with no regard for others.

The Teacher of my 8 year old son asked the class what they were most proud of (achievements ect..) one boy told the Teacher that his best moment ever was "last night, when I smashed the windows on another school, and slashed the tyres on the Headmaster's car" - The Teacher thought it must be untrue due to the age of the child, and the way he was boasting about it. It turned out to be true, and the Police were called to the school. The boy loved all the attention, and so did his Mum. The next day at school, the boy was treated like a hero by the majority of the other children.

I am friends with many of the Teachers, and they say they are fighting a loosing battle - they can't discipline the children, neither can the Police, and the parents (again, not all) can't be bothered.

With moving back to the U.K., I think it's great advice to have an extended holiday here, as it has changed over the last few years. I don't let my wife go and collect a video from the shop, or get a take away ect.... due to the amount of people that hang around, and will cause trouble for no reason. Again we live in a good area...............
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:08 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

ditto to chris

Police are not allowed to do anything if the child is under 12
This is down to the parents to deal with, but if they are like the parents around where i live, then they are too busy having a few beers with there friends or nagging in each others houses to care what there children are up.

Same really, these are the children of our next generation, no respect, not even for there parents
Whilst we was in canada i was not scared of walking the streets with my children with me, teenagers actually moved out of the way for us
Clean streets etc etc
When you are bringing your child up with respect in a neighbourhood that lacks this, then it does get to you and O Yeah i do live in a lovely village location, well i used to until recent!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I just want to let you know about my OH recent altercation with our next-door neighbour. Their son was on our driveway speaking to our other neighbour, my OH went out to move the car and caught him on there and politely asked him to move onto the pavement to have his conversation as he was moving the car and this was our property. The son started swearing at him and calling him names, so my OH just said "get off my property". The son was still mouthing off, so OH went onto our backyard and said to the sons dad what had happened and could his son not swear at him as he had been polite etc etc. The father told at his son to watch his language and said you know what "moaning b****rds they are" (we are not and hardly ever say anything to anyone) so my other OH said "Oh we know were he gets it from" (probably the wrong thing to say) so the dad then threatened my OH that he was going "to do him in" if he didn't shut-up. :curse: So what lesson has the son learnt from his dad there. That actually what he did was ok, and it's ok to threaten people.
This is the sad state of affairs on most estates, in Nottingham anyway, and just one of the many types of things that happen on a weekly basis. The parents don't actually want to be a parent they want to be their mate.

Sorry for the essay, but just wanted to share this with you all. Please choose your location carefully, don't come to Nottingham!!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:11 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Whilst we was in canada i was not scared of walking the streets with my children with me, teenagers actually moved out of the way for us
Clean streets etc etc
I was walking my dog around the block yesterday, to strtech our legs and clear my head a little.

I was sort of musing about being in Canada, and feeling a little bored and lonely as my OH was at work and the boys were busy doing their own thing. I was feeling somewhat fed up.

Then I spotted a bunch of 15-17 yr olds coming round the corner; a mixed group of girls and boys. They were chatting and laughing together and the lads were carrying skateboards. One of them had a fantastic "Mohican", maybe 5 inches high.

I reflected that in the UK I would have crossed the road to avoid these kids, and as I drew near they gave me big friendly grins and said hello, and then to my (very old) dog ... "Hi Puppy!" I walked on smiling and just being pleased to be here with my teenagers.

Today, I got up early and drove down to the Glenmore Reservoir to have my very first go at rowing a single scull boat. I took a change of clothes as I was quite certain I'd flip the boat today. I just got home.....tired, happy and completely DRY tyvm!!!

The sun is shining and we are taking a drive to K country to see if we can spot a bear this afternoon.

Tomorrow is our 2nd anniversary of landing in Canada. Life is wonderful!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LoopyLou
Hi,
I just want to let you know about my OH recent altercation with our next-door neighbour. Their son was on our driveway speaking to our other neighbour, my OH went out to move the car and caught him on there and politely asked him to move onto the pavement to have his conversation as he was moving the car and this was our property. The son started swearing at him and calling him names, so my OH just said "get off my property". The son was still mouthing off, so OH went onto our backyard and said to the sons dad what had happened and could his son not swear at him as he had been polite etc etc. The father told at his son to watch his language and said you know what "moaning b****rds they are" (we are not and hardly ever say anything to anyone) so my other OH said "Oh we know were he gets it from" (probably the wrong thing to say) so the dad then threatened my OH that he was going "to do him in" if he didn't shut-up. :curse: So what lesson has the son learnt from his dad there. That actually what he did was ok, and it's ok to threaten people.
This is the sad state of affairs on most estates, in Nottingham anyway, and just one of the many types of things that happen on a weekly basis. The parents don't actually want to be a parent they want to be their mate.

Sorry for the essay, but just wanted to share this with you all. Please choose your location carefully, don't come to Nottingham!!
I had the same type of thing at my old house. At about 1 a.m. our light came on at our driveway, I went outside and found the guy from the house opposite sitting in his car on my driveway listening to his music. I said "do us a favour mate, stay off of the driveway" he then sped off!
Two weeks later he vandalized my 2 cars, and my in laws car - luckily I came out of the house and saw him, as he was running back to his house. My Wife called the Police, and was told they couldn't attend for a minimum of 4 hours. While she was on the phone I was getting abuse from the guy, from behind his front door - and I "accidently" kicked his door in. Because my wife said to the Police "don't worry, my Husband has got into the house, and is sorting it out himself" the Police arrived in minutes!!

Apparently the guy had been so high on drugs for the last 2 weeks, all the days had rolled together, and he was still annoyed at me asking him to get off the driveway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.