Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Nova Scotia please guys

Wikiposts

Advice on Nova Scotia please guys

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:36 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Nova Scotia please guys

Recognise Dominik too (although he doesn't know me). Great read!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

Wow, small world Greenhill!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

mandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nice

Just to update you all. John is now willing to come on a reccie later in the year and I am networking and researching like hell . I am also going to convert our CV's to resumes.

I have printed out all the counties in NS and will research each one but I know a lot depends on where we may be offered jobs (if we are lucky enough!)

I have noticed that a few BE folks have recently gone or are on reccies there at the mo so will follow their threads when they return with keen interest.

Will definitely try to see if there is any opportunities for us in NS as it looks lovely and we have always said we want to move abroad before we retire (though me thinks John was thinking somewhere a bit warmer ).

I just want a better lifestyle (not material things) and Canada is certainly more laid back than here. I absolutely love the big blue skies and people. Just wished I had gone for this 20 years ago
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:43 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyandjohn
Just to update you all. John is now willing to come on a reccie later in the year and I am networking and researching like hell . I am also going to convert our CV's to resumes.

I have printed out all the counties in NS and will research each one but I know a lot depends on where we may be offered jobs (if we are lucky enough!)

I have noticed that a few BE folks have recently gone or are on reccies there at the mo so will follow their threads when they return with keen interest.

Will definitely try to see if there is any opportunities for us in NS as it looks lovely and we have always said we want to move abroad before we retire (though me thinks John was thinking somewhere a bit warmer ).

I just want a better lifestyle (not material things) and Canada is certainly more laid back than here. I absolutely love the big blue skies and people. Just wished I had gone for this 20 years ago
Great news, good luck with the research

As you say there are lots of people heading to NS for recces at the moment so you should get lots of info over the coming weeks.

Good luck
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:01 am
Account Closed

athena88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya after many months of researching I am looking at at Nova Scotia. Can anyone give my any advice on areas, on job availability, etc.?

We are looking into a Reccie trip later in the year.

Hi
hope your reccie all goes to plan. We went to NS last June to look into work housing schools etc We met up with people and had a great time. We are going to NS via the community identified stream. While we were there we met up with a lady from the colchester county regional development team (she's been a really big help to us) we showed her our plans and that we could find employment etc (my OH is a chef and I have experience in care work) and she approved us. We applied in November and we have just received our nomination from NS office of immigration. now we need to apply for our PR Visa's. Colchester and Cumberland County were lovely. We went to Halifax and it wasnt for us but there is alot more work going there it just all depends on the lifestyle your hoping to have out there. We like the quiet life. good luck with it all.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

mandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nice

Thanx for your comments Niiki and Athena.

This Community Programme Scheme sounds good. Does this mean if you are employable they will help us find employment? I keep looking at the job situation and there does seem quite a few jobs both John and I could do so hopefully there is a need for our skills there, in particular John (engineering).

Thanks for your support all and I will keep checking posts and networking.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

tomtatew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deanjp32
Get him on the plane and he will soon change his mind.

We had been all over Canada and was hoping to settle in Ontario.

The day we landed on our first reccie to Nova Scotia (sept 2007)we landed and it was Pi***ng it down. It felt so much like England coming out of the airport although nowhere near as many cars on the road. Driving down to halifax with it raining and dark we were just a little disappointed. (why wouldn't it rain or be dark???)

The next day was very different and every other day after that. We travelled as much as we could meeting so many people who really seemed to be interested in us and why we were in Nova Scotia and our plans. Everyone we met were very friendly and supportive. The 2 weeks flew by and we had not really touched the surface but we knew 1 thing, Nova Scotia was the place for us.

The next thing for us was where did we want to end up when we moved. For us it was the North Shore. We went back to the UK and booked another trip for the Jan 2008 to take a closer look at the area. We had just sold our home in the UK and were renting on a 6 month lease. At the end of that week we had decided that after the 6 months which was apr 2008 we would just come over as visitors and go figure what to do once we got back to NS.

We gave up jobs and everything to come back, that was the pull of NS for us. We had a federal SW app in since aug 2006 but really did not want to wait so we set about getting a CI NSNP which we got in nov 2008. We are now at meds stage which we are having on the 28th and the rest is history so to speak. My wife recently got herself a job. We got a wp without the need for an LMO because we had been nominated so all has worked out in our case. (i also got an open wp)

As a footnote to the above:

I wouldn't suggest that people just give it all up and just come over without a nomination without very careful consideration as it is a big risk but we know of a few who have done it this way and it has worked for them. The CI NSNP can be done from the UK and is probabley advisable unless you have the funds and are ok with the risk element of doing it this way. What it does do is get you making those community ties so much earlier which is really what the CI route is all about.
Hi,

could you tell me what CI NSNP means please? We are planning to visit NS in May and arrange job interviews prior to arriving but this sounds interesting as like you we have our SW application in, since July 2007 and want to move sooner.

Thanks Tom
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:03 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for your comments Niiki and Athena.

This Community Programme Scheme sounds good. Does this mean if you are employable they will help us find employment? I keep looking at the job situation and there does seem quite a few jobs both John and I could do so hopefully there is a need for our skills there, in particular John (engineering).

Thanks for your support all and I will keep checking posts and networking.
Hi,

I think it depends on the RDA, with Colchester they did assist in at least providing details of some local contacts. They are at the heart of the community in a way, so they are in a good place to know the types of opportunities available. Ultimately though its still going to be 100% down to you to obtain the employment, the RDA is purely assessing your skills and that you are going to provide an economic contribution to the region through these skills.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by tomtatew
Hi,

could you tell me what CI NSNP means please? We are planning to visit NS in May and arrange job interviews prior to arriving but this sounds interesting as like you we have our SW application in, since July 2007 and want to move sooner.

Thanks Tom
Hi

It is the Community Identified Stream of the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Programme

There is a new thread with some info here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591466

Good luck
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:43 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Columnists/9011069.html

And, apparently ...if you DO enjoy it there’s a little button at the bottom you can click to recommend it which means that the editor might give him more work…

Just passing on the message

Originally Posted by AyrLass
I came across this article about Dominik Diamond (who some people may or may not know from Scottish radio / TV / newspapers) who recently moved to Nova Scotia. I think it's a really well written account of moving to Nova Scotia, and if not the article itself, the comments sum up the friendliness of people and life in Nova Scotia.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1101361.html