Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed Please :-)

Advice Needed Please :-)

Old May 27th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

RICBSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed Please :-)

Hello Everyone. I’m sure this question, or questions along the same lines have been asked ad nauseum on this forum, but I’m putting these queries out there for genuine reasons. My first thoughts of migrating to Canada began back in 1996. Nothing ever transpired, but I’ve had thoughts of looking again over the years.

Now married with four young children, and in my early forties, I’ve been looking again. Wanting a change, and somewhere different to live, as much as anything. We have a good standard of living here in the UK, so we’re not looking to run away from any real problems. Obviously everything you need to find out is available on the internet, unlike back in ’96 when I relied on books :-) This forum is a great source of knowledge, and I have spent a lot of time reading the posts.

I’ve visited Ontario in ’96, and more recently in 2007. I appreciate that Canada is a big place, but realistically Ontario is the only place I would consider relocating to, owing to the relatively better climate (by Canada’s standards), and the large conurbation in the form of the GTA, where you would imagine there are more opportunities for employment.

It goes without saying that there are pro’s and cons of living anywhere, but at the minute there does seems to be a lot of downsides; relatively high taxes, expensive car insurance, difficulties in obtaining credit, housing rent very high, generally low salaries, difficulties of our work experience and qualifications being recognised, no dental cover, expensive alcohol… etc etc. The biggie though is the lack of paid holiday time. Two to three weeks seems awfully limited, and almost Victorian. I was reading that provincial law in Ontario gives employees the opportunity of taking 3 days unpaid sickness leave in a one year period… again it seems very harsh. How many illnesses can be limited to three days? We spent three weeks in Orlando last December, and we were both amazed by the number of Ontario plates we saw in the theme park parking lots. That’s one heck of a drive, but more over have these people taken no summer vacation to visit in the winter??

My Wife and I are self employed, and live and work in Hull in East Yorkshire. We have what we think is a high mortgage of £800 a month, and it affords us a nice house, but to get a similar sized place in the GTA we would be looking at around $2500 a month. Looking on Job Bank, the salaries all seem very low, and many would just cover the house rent with little else.

We are not afraid of hard work, and we both work 12 to 13 hours a day Monday to Friday, but we do take 6 weeks off a year unpaid, working for ourselves. We would both find it almost impossible to work all year only to get two weeks off, and national holidays. Does anyone else feel this way?

I appreciate that thousands of Brits do move to Canada each year, so surely it can’t be as bleak as my research is showing me?

I’m sure that if we applied under the Skilled Worker programme that we would get in without too much difficulty. I’ve worked as a Quantity Surveyor/Estimator/Works Programmer (Construction) for the last twenty five years, so I’m sure that I could be useful to an employer. Looking at the salaries available, it seems to top out at $60,000… and I would imagine as an immigrant that that would be pushing it to get anywhere near that?

Am I missing something as to the allure of moving to Canada? Any pointers or positive advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance .
Old May 27th 2012, 3:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Please :-)

You have two choices really:

1) Move here, embrace it for what it is, and make the most of your life.
2) Stay in the UK.

The middle way of moving here and then complaining that it is not like the UK seems a bit of a waste of time, money and effort for all concerned.

If six weeks holiday a year is important to your quality of life then don't come to North America.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Wanting a change, and somewhere different to live, as much as anything. We have a good standard of living here in the UK, so we’re not looking to run away from any problems.

So why not move to another part of the UK, maintain your standard of living and save yourselves many thousands of pounds. You've began your research on Canada with a number of negatives which I suspect would expand with more research. From your post I think you would be an unhappy camper here.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:58 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICBSS
Wanting a change, and somewhere different to live, as much as anything. We have a good standard of living here in the UK, so we’re not looking to run away from any real problems.
Funny, that's what I'm trying to do but in reverse - live in Canada and looking to move back to Scotland. Going by this website, its seems to be hit and miss and works for some and not for others, especially if "you have a good standard of living" where you are.

relatively high taxes,
Didn't find that, no matter where you go, they want their pound of flesh - the more you make, the more they want

expensive car insurance,
Didn't check into that but insurance here is based on how expensive you car is and your driving record

difficulties in obtaining credit,
not any different going the other way

housing rent very high,
can be, but like in the UK it depends where you live

generally low salaries,
I found this the other way around as I'm in engineering and would be giving up a bunch of salary to move back

difficulties of our work experience and qualifications being recognised,
again goes both ways but what I find in Canada is that once they find out what you are capable of doing, you get paid accordingly, regardless of the piece of paper you have - years of experience does count for something

no dental cover,
most companies have a dental plan

expensive alcohol
there is that

The biggie though is the lack of paid holiday time. Two to three weeks seems awfully limited, and almost Victorian
two to three weeks - maybe if you're just starting in the work force and haven't got any years under your wing. It's also negotiable. I have 23 years experience and 5 weeks paid holidays a year

We are not afraid of hard work, and we both work 12 to 13 hours a day Monday to Friday
why would anyone want to work that many hours a day

Looking at the salaries available, it seems to top out at $60,000… and I would imagine as an immigrant that that would be pushing it to get anywhere near that?
to give you an idea, for me doing it in reverse, I'm project manager (not a licensed engineer) in civil infrastructure engineering, 23 years experience, salary over $100K (could make more if I was willing to move to Alberta). In checking salaries in Scotland, it looks like I'd have a hard time making £60K or $97K and I've had a hard time getting anyone to even consider me for some the positions I've applied for (seems like you have to be there and do it in person)

Decisions, decisions - good luck
Old May 27th 2012, 5:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

As Jon says, embrace it for what it is, somewhere different, or stay in your comfy life. Alternatively, work for yourself in Canada and take as much time off as you like.

Unfortunately, the Internet is not the definitive source of information, no more than books were in 1996. There is no substitute for visiting and doing on the ground research. I made a several visits before finally immigrating for good.

The FX is very different now to what it was in 1996, then $2.20 now $1.58, a 28% difference, so lots of things seem more expensive than they once did when comparing $CDN to GBP.

Lots of immigrants do well here, quite satisfied with their lot, some not so and some go back.

From your post, it would seem you would be more satisfied staying where you are.

Last edited by Aviator; May 27th 2012 at 5:07 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Why only the GTA ??

Plenty of other opportunity all over this country.

Did it occur to you that a lot of Canucks go on holiday in the winter to escape the weather???

Yes housing in the GTA is expensive compared to a lot of other parts of the country but you live in Hull - one of the cheapest areas of the UK so it would be the equivalent of moving to London and complaining about the prices.

Looking at Jobbank is not the best way to find a job here - strongly suggest reading the Wikki on Canada job hunting.

I took 8 weeks off last year - some paid some unpaid.

Just had 3 weeks back in UK - everyone seems a lot more stressed than here (I know I live in the Maritimes)

If you are serious about moving think in solutions not in problems

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; May 27th 2012 at 5:16 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure that if we applied under the Skilled Worker programme that we would get in without too much difficulty. I’ve worked as a Quantity Surveyor/Estimator/Works Programmer (Construction) for the last twenty five years, so I’m sure that I could be useful to an employer.
Before you get too caught up in the annual leave, and pros and cons of the GTA, you might want to look again at visas - none of the jobs you've mentioned above are on the list of eligible occupations for FSW cat 1 applications. So you might need another visa route, which may involve having to find an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring you, and if that's the case you may not want to limit yourself to the GTA.

Good luck with it.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Heres my Tuppenceworth :
Firstly, I have to agree with the above posters. There are a lot of very valid opinions and remarks made by them. My own experience is that I too, think 2 weeks / year is poor, but I knew about this 10 yrs ago, long before I moved to Canada. It was said by a guy who has never even been here. He remarked to my Inlaws ( who are Canadian ) that it seems to be a fantastic place, but " you really have bad holidays (annual leave ) there - about 2 weeks a year" So it would seem bad news travels fast! Anyway, that being said, it is what it is, and neither you, nor I, are going to change it.
On the up side, you might find a job that pays 3 or 4 weeks / year, or you might find a job that you like so much that those 2 weeks don't seem such a big deal ( I'm still working on which one I'll end up with ) BUT, when I go home at night, go out onto my deck, crack a cold one, or jump in the hot tub, and look out over the forest, bush ( and occasionally the wildlife ) that literally runs up to my back door, I remember that I'm not going to Canada for two or three weeks holidays / year to experience this, I'm coming home to it every day. In effect I'm living the "Vacation" every evening. (As the disclaimer says on the infomercials : ' Your experience may differ"!)
As for costs, and location, well as previously mentioned, theres more than TO. or wherever, and costs/ pay, vary by location. I find that sometimes you're ahead, other times you're behind, and thats the way it is, if you live in London, Glasgow or wherever. Canada is not the end of the rainbow... nor is Oz.... nor is the US...nor is the UK... ad infinitum. Some have better experiences than others, wherever they go / find themselves.
In conclusion, my theory is that home is home, and maybe I'll go back some day, but I'd rather have gone and tried, than end my days wishing I'd have given it a go when I had the chance. "To make a comeback, you have to have gone somewhere" (Dunno who said that, but I like it!) Ultimately only you can make the choice based on your aspirations, abilities and circumstances, but good luck, however you choose to go.

As Forrest Gump said, " And that is all I have to say about that"
Old May 27th 2012, 8:44 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Re the vacation time, agree with others if this is v important to you, this may not be the place for you, however having said that I moved to NS 3 years ago, first job provided 5 1/2 weeks paid vacation plus all holidays paid, note not all required to be paid in Canada, my oh gets 2 weeks and have to put in time before he could take this, it will all depend on who you work for, my co is global and based out of uk, think this perhaps has something to do with it

I have people on my team that get 3 weeks, still amazes me how many of them carry over a week at the end of the year, very different attitude to the uk in my experience !

Agree with another comment here though, re coming home to peace and quiet with oh actually home rather than working all night 60 + hr weeks makes each evening and weekend feel like a vacation!
Old May 27th 2012, 8:47 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Like has been mentioned on here many times, what you are looking for from the move and whether you can achieve this will be the ultimate factor in whether the move is the right one for you, many have been left disappointed when they have left a good situation in uk
Old May 28th 2012, 6:00 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to go to Canada? I can't seem to get a clue from your post.....You would uproot your kids, cut ties to you friends and loved ones in order to move to a country that you aren't gasping with desire to live in. You say you have a reasonable life style and a decent income, and are able to take a good period for holidays each year, why do you want to up sticks? ....are you a bit bored and seeking a new challenge? Why not take a good long holiday this year and go to Canada? As Christmasompah says, you may not be eligible to move, but if you are it certainly isn't a fast or easy process and perhaps best not undertaken unless you are firmly committed.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to give their valuable advice, it is all very much appreciated.

It was my assumption that it would be possible to negotiate further unpaid holiday time with a Canadian employer, so to those who have indicated that this is possible, many thanks, that is a chink of hope.

We've travelled to North America a lot over the last decade for holidays, we've always had a great time. We do make use of our weekends, and just this weekend we were out walking in Dalby Forest up in North Yorkshire in the warm sunshine. That said holiday time is important to us, mainly to recuperate from hard work, but equally important to spend quality time with the family, and explore the world out there.

In my younger years, the US was always a big draw, and seemed a very attractive place to live. Of course the reality is that it is for most Brits the US is almost impossible to emigrate to. I visited Canada in '96, and of course there are many similarities to the US, and this seemed like the next best thing. We do have a good life here in the UK, but the thought of moving to Canada is still an attractive proposition, but it has to be a measured and thought through decision to do it. I wanted your input, and I certainly got what I was looking for.

As to the Skilled Worker list, Construction Estimator is no. 2234 on there, and when I last checked I did seem to come out with a fairly high score on the points. I yes I appreciate that it's a long process at around 2 years in all, but these are long term plans I'm considering.

And yes I fully understand why Ontarians are prepared to drive the better part of 24 hours to escape the winter in driving to Florida, just like all the New York State plates that are there in greater numbers doing the same. We were there escaping our less severe weather :-) which isn't beset with snow and ice so much as the darkness, and general gloom :-)

The move to us would be all about excitement, and a totally different way of life. We've travelled around the north east US, in fact from Toronto, and we've driven to New York, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, and having all these places on the doorstep (albeit a far drive) would be another great draw.

We only live once, and you could say that I'm halfway through my life, or even more than halfway :-) but life is about experiences and sometimes you've just got to do things... but with two young babies, and two older children in tow, it has to be carefully thought through.

We will probably get out to Ontario for a three week break next summer, so we can use the time as a fact finding mission, as well as experiencing the fun things.

Thanks again to you all. To those out there living the Canadian dream, and those preparing for it, I wish you all the best.

For now I'll keep researching, get some flights booked, and see how it goes.

Have a great week, whatever you happen to be doing
Old May 28th 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

With respect to what oompa said about the FSW Category 1 list, that's for folk without a job offer and in this regard 2234 is not on that list. Things could change when the list is updated late June/early July but for the moment, FSW Category 1 is not an option for you.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

Also, the self employed route only has these as qualifying occupations so this isn't a route either.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ons.aspx?val=5

From what I can tell, your main options are the LMO/TWP route or the arranged employment route - unless you had ideas on another visa route into Canada.

Good luck in all your endeavours in getting to Canada
Old May 28th 2012, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Well I stand corrected, I must have been reading the wrong list on the CIC website. That somewhat focuses things :-) if the route I assumed was available isn't then there we go, issues of holiday entitlement are certainly a mute point :-) apologies to the previous poster who was correct.

Thanks again to all concerned
Old May 28th 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Which page were you looking at? It could well be you were looking at the general NOC list which categorises pretty much all jobs and not just the 29 required occupations.

Don't give up hope though - if your heart is set on a move, you could try an extended trip abroad, search out contacts, do lots of research as regards opportunities.

If an employer is willing to employ you, then there are still potential routes in.

Have a read up on the wiki and other places about LMOs (Labour Market Opinion) / TWPs (Temporary Work Permit) and AEO (Arranged Employment Offer).

Each has pros and cons but they could still be a way in for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.