Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - Blackberry or similar

Advice needed - Blackberry or similar

Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - Blackberry or similar

I don't have one (quad-band cellphone and decent laptop work for me - I deal with too many large media and image files to make any kind of handheld device really necessary). But most of my colleagues who do, have BlackBerrys. Your IT people will probably have a thing or two to say about it... one of the strong selling points of RIM used to be that it's easier to integrate the email securely into a corporate system. I'm not sure that's still the case, but given the reliance you put on your UK-based IT guys for your VPN etc, I'd sound them out before committing anywhere.

Beyond that, it all depends what you would be using it for. The iPhone has a large variety of more or less useful applications (though they insist on calling them "apps") for looking at pictures, finding out what the weather is like in Beijing or Bangalore, etc. I'd never consider one for an emailing tool, though, because it doesn't have a proper keyboard. BlackBerry, as others have noted, is renowned for not a very good web browser, though has a reputation as relatively easy to type on. Some of the HTC devices seem to be a good compromise.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
mines thin and red. I think it's a Curve. 2 years old anyroad.
I have that model; I quite like it - but that's cos I know a few people with them and BB messenger is actually quite good. I prefer it to the iPhone which is too big and clunky, has poor battery life and is a bugger to type on. Integration with corporate email servers is it's big plus (or minus depending on your pov). You should note that the only people that have problem with the trackball are women - it's cos they bung it into their handbag and it gets coated with god knows what

And if it's important to you, you can reply to BE threads on pretty much any smart phone.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I got it as at the time it was the only way to get push emails on a cell phone. I've been told that it still is but am not sure if that's correct. I was also told that texts to and from a BB are instant and not the usual Canadian may or may not turn up today text delivery.

<No doubt some geek will come along and poopoo everything I have said.>
Err, yes.

Push e-mail is now done on most new smart phones. The G-mail service has its own push functionality.

The problem with Blackberry push system is that it relies on RIM's servers. Which have been shown to go down before.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Get a new 3gs iphone. End of.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
Get a new 3gs iphone. End of.
Definitely the best smart phone IF you can deal with not having a physical keyboard. It still has its draw backs compared to an Android device though, but overall I'd agree with you.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Definitely the best smart phone IF you can deal with not having a physical keyboard. It still has its draw backs compared to an Android device though, but overall I'd agree with you.
Can you run google talk on it in the background? I seem to remember the iPhone could only do one thing at a time, though that might have changed now.

Edit to add: When I eventually have to buy my own phone it'll be an android one probably. The other nice thing about my BB is that it's free
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Can you run google talk on it in the background? I seem to remember the iPhone could only do one thing at a time, though that might have changed now.
Yes, multi-tasking is something that the iPhone doesn't do - but Apple will tell you this is a good thing because it preserves battery life. Did Google Talk make it into the App Store? I thought it got rejected?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:09 pm

Yes, multi-tasking is something that the iPhone doesn't do - but Apple will tell you this is a good thing because it preserves battery life. Did Google Talk make it into the App Store? I thought it got rejected?
Ah, I remember reading something about that. One thing at a time does limit it's use for communications (IM, email etc), but I guess most people don't care about that and use it for multi-media.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:55 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Am surgically attached to Blackberry Pearl, day and night. No idea how life functioned before.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I have that model; I quite like it - but that's cos I know a few people with them and BB messenger is actually quite good. I prefer it to the iPhone which is too big and clunky, has poor battery life and is a bugger to type on. Integration with corporate email servers is it's big plus (or minus depending on your pov). You should note that the only people that have problem with the trackball are women - it's cos they bung it into their handbag and it gets coated with god knows what

And if it's important to you, you can reply to BE threads on pretty much any smart phone.
hah, Rogers told me it was usually men who have that problem as they stuff the BB in their pockets. Which is what I do as it has a weak and short vibrate that is no use to man nor beast.

Battery life is good, this is true.

Err, yes.

Push e-mail is now done on most new smart phones. The G-mail service has its own push functionality.

The problem with Blackberry push system is that it relies on RIM's servers. Which have been shown to go down before.
My BB's server has never gone down......

Good to know about Gmail though as thats what I use.

Are the other phones ok with immediate text messaging though?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Here's the situation.

Me in Canada (Quebec). Boss in the UK. Boss wants me to get a Blackberry or something similar. It needs to be something I can use here, in the USA and elsewhere in the world (probably mostly Europe) for calls, emails and text messaging (whatever that is). I don't know where to start. I do already have a cellphone contract with Telus but I don't want to start talking to them until I've boned up a bit, or I'll end up being sold something I don't want or need.

Any ideas?
Tell your boss to go suck his hind tit.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I both have BBs. His has a trackball, which I don't like. Mine has a square button instead of the ball. I love it (Mine's a newer model.)
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

andreip is an unknown quantity at this point

I m a bit off topic, just want to ask if they have offers for mobile phones or internet in canada like in uk where you get a free laptop or tv if you sign up for 24 months contract...?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Are the other phones ok with immediate text messaging though?
Yes. I have a HTC G1 (Google Android phone) and I get push e-mail through the G-mail service. Others have varying methods of achieving it. RIM Blackberry were the first to do it properly, but as I say it relies on their managed service whereas if you are using an iPhone and your organisation's Exchange Server there is no RIM middle man.

Although you may not have experienced the outtages yourself, previous instances have caused upset to many users. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10218474-94.html

From article:
"
RIM uses a centralized architecture to filter all its e-mail traffic and push it out to consumers' phones. Critics of the BlackBerry service and architecture say that this centralized approach makes the service more vulnerable to outages. And indeed, the company has had some serious outages in the past. In April 2007, the company's enterprise service suffered a huge outage that left millions of corporate BlackBerry users without access to e-mail.
"

...but, inline with Novo's comment, this is probably a blessing in disguise.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 1:15 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Grrr. Had a nice long post, but the forum ate it (well, actually, Internet Brand's ate it, they've been having server problems for a few days).

Anyway, back to my waffle

If you need to use the phone in different countries then this raise a few things. Firstly, you need a phone that will work on the carrier/network (think Rogers, AT&T) in the countries you're going to be using it in.

For example, the reason Rogers/Fido only had the iPhone here is that they had, until recently, the only GSM network. The others were CDMA. The iPhone was GSM only and thus could only work on a GSM network.

So, check what type of phone it is, GSM or CDMA. Then check where you would be using it and see what they use, the US and Europe are probably all GSM these days.

The next thing is roaming. If you go into the US then the phone will probably pick up the strongest carrier, for example, AT&T, this means you will be roaming on their network. When you make a call or use a data feature of your phone (browse the web, get emails) you'll roaming and this WILL cost you a lot more than normal service. You need to look at what the roaming charges are, and wether there is a decently priced roaming package to lessen the cost. International roaming is expensive, so check to see if there is also a special international roaming option.

An alternative to roaming would be to get a SIM card for a network in the country you are going to. A pre-paid one would probably be a good bet. This would allow you to swap to the new SIM and use that instead of paying high roaming charges.

Now, there is a sticking point here. Some phones are "locked" onto the network, for example, most Rogers phones, including the iPhone, are locked onto Rogers, meaning if you put another SIM in, they will report Invalid SIM and won't let you make calls, get email, browse the internet. You would need a phone that is unlocked. I'm not sure if blackberry's are locked, probably are though.

When it comes to the iPhone, it is possible to unlock it using cheeky methods, but it's a cat and mouse game with Apple, as they don't specifically allow, well not in North America, the phone to be unlocked. A group of hackers have found a way to unlock the phone, then Apple will come along and block the method they are using, then they'll find a way to get around this, repeat to fade...

This is one of the biggest issues I have with the iPhone, is the carrier lock. Most other phones you can easily get unlocked and they'll remain that way, but the iPhone is different

What I would suggest is that you get down to FutureShop, BestBuy, Wireless Wave, The Telephone Booth and check out the handsets from different networks, see which one looks and feels right for you. Some people simply cannot get on with the pure touch interface of the iPhone. I'm an Apple fanboy and there are times when I'm ready to throw the iPhone at the wall because of the keyboard, but most of the time it's fine.

Once you have tried a few phones out, ask about pricing, roaming, is it unlocked, and will it do what you need it to do. No point getting the ultra-fancy phone if it won't send email, if that's something you need to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.