Advice needed

Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

flower tonic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hi everyone
We have just joined the forum and are hoping you may be able to help us.
At the moment we are living in Essex but hope to move to the Vancouver area but away from the city. We visited Vancouver last year and stayed around the Fraser Valley. We also visited Vancouver Island
which we fell in love with, but we have to be practical my husband will have to work, he is a Diesel Generator Repairer,does any one know if he will be able to get a job offer in that trade to help us get a visa.
He thinks he would be more successful if we went to Alberto but I don't fancy the minus temperatures in the winter.
Our children are 12,13,and 22 all boys, our eldest has been to university and is working as a computer programmer he would like to get a job doing games programming.
We was thinking of having our resumes done by a professional in the Canadian format do you think this will help.
Last thing does any one know the best way for applying for jobs while still living over here.
We would be very grateful of any advice you have.

Kind Regards Elaine.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

Hi Elaine,

I've no idea on whether your husband will be able to get a job offer I'm afraid, I don't know how badly his trade will have been affected by the recession. But hopefully somebody else with more knowledge than me will be able to advise where he's best to get a job - you may have to brave those minus temps if it means getting a visa though!

As for how to Canadianise your resume, and find jobs over there - have a look in the Wiki (on blue bar at the top of the page). There is a whole section in there on Job Hunting which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada.

One thing though - are you aware that your eldest son wouldn't be able to accompany you on any visa? If he's aged over 22, he's no longer considered a dependent. It's just that you mentioned what job he wanted to do, so I wasn't sure if you were aware that he couldn't go to Canada with you.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

flower tonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Elaine,

I've no idea on whether your husband will be able to get a job offer I'm afraid, I don't know how badly his trade will have been affected by the recession. But hopefully somebody else with more knowledge than me will be able to advise where he's best to get a job - you may have to brave those minus temps if it means getting a visa though!

As for how to Canadianise your resume, and find jobs over there - have a look in the Wiki (on blue bar at the top of the page). There is a whole section in there on Job Hunting which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada.

One thing though - are you aware that your eldest son wouldn't be able to accompany you on any visa? If he's aged over 22, he's no longer considered a dependent. It's just that you mentioned what job he wanted to do, so I wasn't sure if you were aware that he couldn't go to Canada with you.

Best of luck with it all.
Thank you for the advice we hope our 22 year old will be able to get enough points on his own for a visa.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flower tonic
Thank you for the advice we hope our 22 year old will be able to get enough points on his own for a visa.
I presume as you mention 'points' he is planning on trying to get a Skilled Worker visa?

You are aware that the SW visa system was completely changed last year? And he'd now need to either be in a job on a list of 38 'occupations in demand' (computer/games programmers not on it by the way), or to have a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify? As well as having the points, proof of funds, passing the medical, no criminal record, etc.

So if you're going on a TWP later this year (although I think that's unlikely as it'll probably take at least 6 months to find a job and get the LMO, so bear that in mind), he would have to apply for a Skilled Worker visa very soon if he wants to go about the same time as you. SW visas take 6-12 months to be processed, but he'll have to find a job first and then wait for the AEO and those are the bits that will take the time, particularly with the current economic climate in Canada.