advice needed

Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

jonnychester is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile advice needed

hi i have recieved my lmo and job offer,flight ticket and payment for work permit at port of entry,what do i need to take with me for immagration my new employer says just passport the forms she has sent and police checks which i told her about,they have a couple of minors 12 years ago,but she says they will not be a problem.Has anyone entered this way and at calgary,also has anyone any tips on fort mcmurray im living on camp with 11 days on and 3 off,and last of all im booked to fly with air canada has anyone flown with them and how long do i need to check in before flying thanks
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:51 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed

Originally Posted by jonnychester
hi i have recieved my lmo and job offer,flight ticket and payment for work permit at port of entry,what do i need to take with me for immagration my new employer says just passport the forms she has sent and police checks which i told her about,they have a couple of minors 12 years ago,but she says they will not be a problem.Has anyone entered this way and at calgary,also has anyone any tips on fort mcmurray im living on camp with 11 days on and 3 off,and last of all im booked to fly with air canada has anyone flown with them and how long do i need to check in before flying thanks
The Wiki article called TWP : Where to apply lists the documents you need.

I don't know about your police checks. I think you should ask about that on the Canada Immigration forum.

I have no personal experience of Fort McMurray.

Air Canada's recommended check in time for international flights is 2 hours before departure. If you're departing from Heathrow, they recommend checking in 3 hours before departure.
x
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:50 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Fort Mac is......a little bit different. I have stayed in a couple of camps for short periods whilst working with some O & G clients. They are mostly ok but they are not hotels and accomodation is basic. Try not to get a room next to anyone who snores who has long conversations with his other half late into the night!! The food isn't bad - certainly after a tough day in the field you will be able to replace the carbs! Some camps are dry due to the safety issues but there is substantial recreational drug use - to be avoided.

As for the town itself, it's not a place for families but appears to be quite accomodating for younger single men with spare cash........

My advice would be to avoid the obvious traps - it's a place where you can easily get dragged into areas you don't want to go
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

oilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really niceoilsands is just really nice

Originally Posted by MCrocker
As for the town itself, it's not a place for families but appears to be quite accomodating for younger single men with spare cash........
What a ridiculous comment! My family is here..... and many, many more. There's over 89,000 people living in town.

I have seen far more strip joints and bars per capita in many other towns and cities in Canada more than in Fort Mc.

My kids love it here. Schools are good, loads of things to do and my eldest (15) has money to burn with her weekend supermarket job that pays over $16.50 per hour.

PS. Drugs are everywhere but I can say, personally, I've been offered more in the Maritimes and Ontario than ever here (not my thing!).

There's living in camp like an inmate.......and there is living in Fort Mcmurray!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:52 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I am glad you like it there and each to his own.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MCrocker
I am glad you like it there and each to his own.
hi how do you go about sending money home from your wages and do you get taxed again in the uk
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:21 pm
Been there, done that

hi how do you go about sending money home from your wages and do you get taxed again in the uk
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse but I am a PR so my wages stay with me here in Canada (after Revenue Canada has had their share)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Once you land in Canada with your TWP you normally become resident in Canada for tax purposes. You will pay tax to the Canadian Government on everything you earn, from any source world wide.

Once you have paid the Canadian tax the rest is yours to keep. If you chose to send it to family in the UK there are normally no tax consequences from the UK Government.

That is the easy answer.

If you are sending money to parents or siblings this will be fine. However, if your spouse and/or children remain in the UK, and you are not legally separated, things could get more difficult. In this case you should get a ruling from both the UK and Canadian tax authorities about your tax residency status.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Once you land in Canada with your TWP you normally become resident in Canada for tax purposes. You will pay tax to the Canadian Government on everything you earn, from any source world wide.

Once you have paid the Canadian tax the rest is yours to keep. If you chose to send it to family in the UK there are normally no tax consequences from the UK Government.

That is the easy answer.

If you are sending money to parents or siblings this will be fine. However, if your spouse and/or children remain in the UK, and you are not legally separated, things could get more difficult. In this case you should get a ruling from both the UK and Canadian tax authorities about your tax residency status.
cheers for that,
Old May 24th 2008, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by oilsands
What a ridiculous comment! My family is here..... and many, many more. There's over 89,000 people living in town.

I have seen far more strip joints and bars per capita in many other towns and cities in Canada more than in Fort Mc.

My kids love it here. Schools are good, loads of things to do and my eldest (15) has money to burn with her weekend supermarket job that pays over $16.50 per hour.

PS. Drugs are everywhere but I can say, personally, I've been offered more in the Maritimes and Ontario than ever here (not my thing!).

There's living in camp like an inmate.......and there is living in Fort Mcmurray!
I agree with you.Fort mc has so many familes and they are all happy.Everything is good,life is peaceful there.