Advice!! on moving from UK to Canada

Advice!! on moving from UK to Canada

Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice!! on moving from UK to Canada

Advice needed please! all will be much appreciated

Where do i start? the beginning would be a good place

After many years of dreaming about moving to canada, me and my husband have finally decided to get the wheels in motion. (children in tow aged 10 & 12)

First advice needed would be on the visa process. after attending a seminar last weekend, we were advised that we are best applying for FSW visa as a new intake is opening Jan 2013.

we were advised by a consultant that this process takes between 5-7 months (is this a real timescale?)
and costs £3500 & that we would need around/prove we have £13k in saving to enter with. (is this correct?)

Has anyone else gone through this FSW process? and what costs were inincurred|_
On rereceivingis quote today, we were shocked that the £3500 did not included the visa cost nor the medical or police checks!

Would you advise that we go through a registered consultant? if so any recommendations/costs?

or do we go the visa process alone?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:38 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice!! on moving from UK to Canada

Start by reading through the Wiki section on the blue bar above. That will tell you most of what you need to know. Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, i will take a look now.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people on here have done the process on their own and saved loads of money.
We did it ourselves, too, but it's a lot of form filling, reading, form filling and reading again but manageable.
And the forum is great when you get stuck or get confused. Loads of nice, helpful and knowledgeable folks......
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Advice needed - here goes

DO you own research on everything - where to live, jobs and the visas.

Dont let anyone tell you you have to use a company to do your application - most people who have half a brain is able to do their own application. you just have to double check dot your i's and cross ya t's.

All the costs are on the CIC website - this should become your bible as it will give you the most up to date information.

Your kids are the same age as mine were when we moved here - I believe the younger the kids are the easier it is for them to settle down.

Please do not do as we did - first thought about moving to canada in 93 went back to the uk and got married and wasted 14 years just thinking about it

Only you and your partner will be able to decide if you have the adventurous streak in you to come and try it out !
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:20 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Agree 100% on checking out the Wiki.

Plus... when you first look into this it will seem to be a daunting task. Don't let that put you off.

Just read and read... the come back and ask questions. Look for a thread on the BE forum that covers a bunch of members going through the same process that you plan on doing. That way you are likely to see all the Q & A's you might possibly need to see.

The Burton Bunch are bang on... don't hesitate, get stuck into it and go for it. If you don't get this out of your system and go, you'll always be looking back wondering of you should have gone.

Good luck
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Loads of people on here have done the process on their own and saved loads of money.
We did it ourselves, too, but it's a lot of form filling, reading, form filling and reading again but manageable.
And the forum is great when you get stuck or get confused. Loads of nice, helpful and knowledgeable folks......
Thanks for your conmments. think we will try doing it ourselves.
has to be done
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Advice needed - here goes

DO you own research on everything - where to live, jobs and the visas.

Dont let anyone tell you you have to use a company to do your application - most people who have half a brain is able to do their own application. you just have to double check dot your i's and cross ya t's.

All the costs are on the CIC website - this should become your bible as it will give you the most up to date information.

Your kids are the same age as mine were when we moved here - I believe the younger the kids are the easier it is for them to settle down.

Please do not do as we did - first thought about moving to canada in 93 went back to the uk and got married and wasted 14 years just thinking about it

Only you and your partner will be able to decide if you have the adventurous streak in you to come and try it out !
Thank you so much for your advice. we are def going to do this, i believe we have the determination and a strong marriage to get through it
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Watch this space as, i guess we will be relying/wanting all your advice as we embark on our new journey.

Operation Canada

Does anyone know where we can take the english test/ how much do they cost? and are the police checks just CRB's?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:10 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
Watch this space as, i guess we will be relying/wanting all your advice as we embark on our new journey.

Operation Canada

Does anyone know where we can take the english test/ how much do they cost? and are the police checks just CRB's?
You need to obtain police certificates via ACPO and they are £45 each and you need to send a passport photo for them.http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx . THe IELTS test is between £125-£131 each and is done via local education institutions.http://www.ielts.org/ . The IELTS also need two passport photographs. maximum 24 points for the main applicant and the pouse can obtain 5 points as per the proposed new FSW points structure.

Good Luck

Last edited by Mikeypm; Nov 7th 2012 at 1:12 pm. Reason: added links
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Hi I came up as FSW applied 2005 it took longer than months we got our visa early 2009 but feel that was due to consent.
As others have advised just download forms on cic website & BE there's a LOT of papers but don't let that put you off.
Police checks are more than CRBs, had to have some savings(9k), reasonable education @ university level, occupation should cover NOC (their workforce list), needed 65? Points, can't remember having an English test? The fees depends on how many family members/dependents are coming.

You visited? Got family here? What's your main reason for moving? ours was family (hardly no1 left in UK), UK economy/jobs, another opportunity for our children. But now we're soon to get citizenship deciding to move back next year lol due to not seeing family much here, miss social life & have teenage child in UK who never liked Canada (came age 13) so the younger they come the better or they find it harder to settle.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit09
so the younger they come the better or they find it harder to settle.
Totally agree with this my son and daughter are 18 months apart and the difference between them with them settling is amazing they are now 16 and 18
Old Nov 7th 2012, 4:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the application is manageable by yourselves. There will be lots of advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum. Do you have a particular provice or territory in mind? Have you aver visited the area/region. Weather and job availability seem to play a big part in people's geographic decisions. What profession do either of you have to apply as FSW's? I know the list was revised in July this year but I'm not sure if the professions on it increased or decreased.

Good luck though!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies, we are looking at nova scotia at the moment as house prices seem reasonable and seems to be quite bit of work in Halifax

As rightly suggested work and property prices will play a big part in the final decision.

I currently work as an accountant, with over 10 years experience and my husband has his own landscape and groundwork a company.

Could anyone suggest or give advice on nice areas in Nova Scotia?

Reason for moving is simply a better quality of life for our children and ourselves. Don't have any family out there. Another reason for nova scotia (flight time) not that we will be going back and forth!

Just something we have always wanted to do. We don't want to get to 70 or 80 and say what if!!!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
Thank you for your replies, we are looking at nova scotia at the moment as house prices seem reasonable and seems to be quite bit of work in Halifax

As rightly suggested work and property prices will play a big part in the final decision.

I currently work as an accountant, with over 10 years experience and my husband has his own landscape and groundwork a company.

Could anyone suggest or give advice on nice areas in Nova Scotia?

Reason for moving is simply a better quality of life for our children and ourselves. Don't have any family out there. Another reason for nova scotia (flight time) not that we will be going back and forth!

Just something we have always wanted to do. We don't want to get to 70 or 80 and say what if!!!
Are you sure Accountant is still on the list of recognised occupations for FSW status? I thought it was taken off the list a couple of years ago. Are you a qualified accountant too? as I think this gives you further qualifying points. Paerhaps you have another route to eligibility in mind which doesn't require a particular profession. The only reason I ask is that we came to Canada as eligible accountants and just got in before the criteria were changed. If you need any specific information regarding this route feel free to PM me. Not sure If I can help but happy to try.

Someone on here should know if Accountant is still on the NOC (?) list or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.