Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Wikiposts

Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Congratulations on your new job.

in response to your queries here is my 2 pennies worth.

1. highly improbable you would get a mortgage on a TWP, if you have $100K to put down on a $200k property then i think you might have some options but at 23 im guessing that you may not have that kind of cash available

2. im in Saskatoon not far away from Regina (in Canadian distances) and with a very similar booming market, i have just rented a new property every property i viewed there where multiple people lined up to view before and after me.

the landlords were getting to pick and choose their tenants so when you do go to viewings make sure you look trust worthy and make a good impression.

there are also house/flat shares on kijiji which could be a good option for you its a lot cheaper to split rent on a 2 bed condo than try and cover a 1 bed yourself. it also gets you to know some people quickly.

with regards to renting here 90% of property is unfurnished so you will need to take that into account if you rent a room flat share chances are you may only need to buy a bed as other people will have the rest of the stuff. you can buy second hand for some things but when you start adding it all up

you will need to buy everything from cooking stuff to tv's even buying some stuff cheap/ second hand (dont buy a second hand mattress) for a 1 bed will set you back $3.5K plus $1000 for rent and $1000 for deposit. so thats $5500 minimum to move into your own place.

3. i thought that car finance would be a none starter on a TWP until i applied to be approved for credit for a $20k car just to see what would happen. well i was approved 3 years finance with 3 months left on my TWP.

i backed out and bought second hand but my word it is expensive i paid $6300 for a car which would be worth no more than $3000 in the UK but when i come to sell it it will be still worth a good bit. As a mechanic im sure you will be able to pick a good second hand car better than most.

i went for the first 6 months with no car but found somewhere 25 min walk from work so i could manage it. but it was crap you dont want to be in sk without a car you need to drive everywhere in sk, chances are as an hgv mech you will be working out in an industrial estate and will live in a residential area chances of the being public transport between the 2 are slim to none.

so a car is going to set you back another $5K min

Scotia bank will give you a visa on a TWP but only with a $500 limit i got a $2K limit but they put a hold on my bank account for the 2K but it is building up my credit history for when i get my PR.

4. a word on the "Irish bars" i have been to here the qualification for being an Irish bar in sk is having an "O'" in your name and putting green food coloring in the beer on st paddy's day. did you tell them that "celtic" was a Scottish "soccer" club and not an NBA team.

your best bet for the match atmosphere will be to meet up with other Scott/Irish celtic fans and head round someones house to watch the match on cable with a few beers etc. there are a lot Irish expats about and a fair few of us scots you could set up the first regina CSC

hope that lot is of some help to you
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Chris Sully is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the detailed info John

Received the contract and just need a question answering.

We offer a full benefit package including life insurance, medical coverage, dental and vision
which is available to you after 6 months employment.

Does this mean I need to get medical cover and if so is it possible to get cover for 6 Months

Thanks Chris
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Sully
Thanks for the detailed info John

Received the contract and just need a question answering.

We offer a full benefit package including life insurance, medical coverage, dental and vision
which is available to you after 6 months employment.

Does this mean I need to get medical cover and if so is it possible to get cover for 6 Months

Thanks Chris
medical coverage provided by your employer is a top up insurance to the provincial health care (NHS). there are a number of things missing form the provincial coverage most notably prescription drugs, ambulance, and so on this employer coverage covers the gaps.

it is important you register for the prov health care asap after landing. there will be a gap from landing to receiving your health card. i would advise you take out an emergency medical coverage to cover you till the prov cover starts.

some people may advise some type of insurance cover that will pay for repatriation in the event of death or serious illness back to the uk.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks again John

Can anyone who has been in this situation give any advice on the best emergency cover to get

Thanks Chriss
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Some one must have been in this situation

Thanks Chris
Old Apr 28th 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Thanks again John

Can anyone who has been in this situation give any advice on the best emergency cover to get

Thanks Chriss
Hello mate, we`ve been here for about 5 weeks now and love it - we used Canadasure for medical insurance for my wife and son which covers them for the first 90 days till they`re eligible for provincial health care. I think if you check out the wiki section there are a few options suggested on there.

I`m trucking over here, who you gonna be working for(if you dont mind me asking)?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Sterling Truck and Trailer which is a Volvo dealer.

Thanks for the info

Thanks Chris
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Sterling Truck and Trailer which is a Volvo dealer.

Thanks for the info

Thanks Chris
That's who supplies our fleet, in fact I'm waitin for my new truck to show up so can you give em a kick up the arse