Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

advice im caling some canada companies today

advice im caling some canada companies today

Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default advice im caling some canada companies today

hi all

im going to ring some companies tonight, regarding our visit next week, do i ask for the person who does the hireing, then explain what im wanying to do, and maybe try to get to visit them and drop my resume in at same time.

any advice would be great, what to say etc never done this before

thanks

paul
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:32 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice im caling some canada companies today

Hi

I think your going to NS from prev threads?

What we did was to give them a call, ask to speak to somebody who deals with the recruitment for the firm, or perhaps if it is a smaller company the manager.

I would advise that you are visiting NS next week and why etc and was wondering whether it would be possible for you to email your resume and perhaps arrange a time that you could pop in for an informal chat, whilst you are over.

We found on our trip that if we didn't get a great response from the contact from the UK that by driving round with CV's in hand and calling in on companies that they were more than willing to have a chat! We were able to arrange 3 meetings between me and OH from the UK, and this was on the basis of asking for an informal chat.

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

hello

thanks for that will do that,one question i do have is when we are over how would a company contact us, we are taing our mobiles from the UK but, how does that work, if they wanted to contact me via mobile, would it put them off ringing a uk mobile, or do you suggest i get a cheap mobile when im there.

ps

yes NS is where we are off too
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:09 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I looked into this too, I'm not too hot on techy stuff so bear with me!!, As long as your mobile is adaptable to Canada Tri band I think??, you can purchase a canadian sim card, Rogers seems to be the main one, stick it in and your phone should work, alternative get cheap mobile when you are there.

We were lucky enough to have a landline where we stayed so I just bought a phone card and used that for making outgoing calls, didn't even spend £5 in 10 days!

I also had my laptop so gave contacts my email address as primary contact.( on a hotmail type of account so was able to access whilst away)

Nikki

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Jun 5th 2008 at 7:10 pm. Reason: added info
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
hello

thanks for that will do that,one question i do have is when we are over how would a company contact us, we are taing our mobiles from the UK but, how does that work, if they wanted to contact me via mobile, would it put them off ringing a uk mobile, or do you suggest i get a cheap mobile when im there.

ps

yes NS is where we are off too
CD

Make sure that your phone will work over here (tri band is required), contact your network supplier and ask for holiday cover (not sure of exact term) for use of handset whilst in Canada. Otherwise expect a big bill if people are calling you as you will pay the international part of any call received.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:10 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

If you're still using your UK connection (telephone no/SIM) in your mobile when you come over, not only will you be charged extortionate fees for receiving the call, your prospective employer will be paying intl. rates aswell. The call is routed from Canada, to the UK mobile network, then back to Canada in that instance.

Better to make sure your phone is unlocked, and usable in Canada (let us know what you've got if you like and it can be figured out) and get a Rogers or FIDO SIM once you're here. That's if they operate out in NS. Can anyone confirm?

Other option is a cheap PAYG phone once you're here, I've seen them start at about $50 and virgin offer the cheapest rates here in Toronto.

Virgin PAYG info - http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/ra..._nav=by_minute

Virgin Phones - Nokia 2525i there for $40 (don't forget tax though)
http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/ph...er_link=phones
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

In NS:

Rogers - yes
Fido - no
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok thanks for that, yes phone is unlocked so we should not have any problems, just getting a last few things done before we fly tom.

we are staying in dartmouth for a week if anyone fancys a beer