Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on how well English LLB (Law degree) recognised if at all?

Advice on how well English LLB (Law degree) recognised if at all?

Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Advice on how well English LLB (Law degree) recognised if at all?

Hello

Just a quick enquiry to see if anyone knows if the English Law Degree LLB is recognised in Ontario. I have the degree but no further training i.e. I am not a solicitor but would be interested in possibly pursuing this career path once over there.

I was hoping to get a job as a law clerk or something similar and possibly train towards becoming a fully fledged solicitor.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:48 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on how well English LLB (Law degree) recognised if at all?

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Just a quick enquiry to see if anyone knows if the English Law Degree LLB is recognised in Ontario.
I am not a lawyer. A reading of the web site of The Federation of Law Societies of Canada suggests that, in addition to bringing your English law degree with you, you would need to complete between one and two years of study at a Canadian university or else successfully complete challenge exams in the following areas of Canadian substantive law:
a. Business Law (corporate and commercial);
b. Civil litigation;
c. Criminal Law and Procedure;
d. Estate Planning and Administration;
e. Family Law;
f. Public and Constitutional Law;
g. Real Estate;
h. Taxation;
i. Evidence; and
j. Trusts, Equity, Remedies.
Once you have satisfied those academic requirements, the licensing process (completing the Skills and Responsibility Program, serving articles, etc.) is described on the web site of The Law Society of Upper Canada.

I found this information by doing a Google search for LAW SOCIETY + ONTARIO.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Advice on how well English LLB (Law degree) recognised if at all?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I am not a lawyer. A reading of the web site of The Federation of Law Societies of Canada suggests that, in addition to bringing your English law degree with you, you would need to complete between one and two years of study at a Canadian university or else successfully complete challenge exams in the following areas of Canadian substantive law:
a. Business Law (corporate and commercial);
b. Civil litigation;
c. Criminal Law and Procedure;
d. Estate Planning and Administration;
e. Family Law;
f. Public and Constitutional Law;
g. Real Estate;
h. Taxation;
i. Evidence; and
j. Trusts, Equity, Remedies.
Once you have satisfied those academic requirements, the licensing process (completing the Skills and Responsibility Program, serving articles, etc.) is described on the web site of The Law Society of Upper Canada.

I found this information by doing a Google search for LAW SOCIETY + ONTARIO.

Hope that helps.
yes thats very helpful thank you
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:29 am
Just Joined

james_tester is an unknown quantity at this point

Jus returned to UK with two Staight 'A' honour Roll students who both FAILED an entrance test to a UK selective school! Jus also had a little chat with them and was told 'you know the standard in Canada is just so much lower than here(UK)!'

For 3 years my wife and I were told the 'you've gotta get Canadian experience', 'you've got to re-sit/convert your UK qualifications'!!

We jus had enough because it just isn't true-it's the biggest lie ever perpetrated in the name of democracy and human rights and now we're back even my kids realise it!

The point? Well good luck if you can tolerate this BS my friend BUT we couldn't tolerate living with losers and being told we were inferior!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:48 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

For 3 years my wife and I were told the 'you've gotta get Canadian experience', 'you've got to re-sit/convert your UK qualifications'!!

My family who now live in Canada were told the very same thing. They say its Canada's way of protecting jobs for themselves. To me this is just plain cruel. I agree with you its all rubbish. I cant understand how they say they want new blood ,but make it so hard for people when they get there. Ive heard of people who have started the process and just given up and moved to somewhere in europe instead. I have to say at this point im still looking into other places to settle in if the time takes too long or if we are rejected.

any way good luck to you

Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:38 am
I want to leave England!

planetkiran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - did you get any luck with the whole LLB to canada thing? I was thinking along those very same lines but it doesn't look to promising does it?
I thought Law was tough here...

Let me know if you have found any revelation discoveries. I have just emailed the Law federation out there to find out the score.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planetkiran

Hey - did you get any luck with the whole LLB to canada thing? I was thinking along those very same lines but it doesn't look to promising does it?

Let me know if you have found any revelation discoveries. I have just emailed the Law federation out there to find out the score.

As a general rule, the law seems to be one of the *worst* professions to be in as far as international mobility is concerned.

While accounting and engineering professional bodies in different countries (including the UK and Canada) have got around a table and worked out recognition arrangements, it seems that few if any law societies have done so unless forced by legislation.

Jeremy
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hello

Just a quick enquiry to see if anyone knows if the English Law Degree LLB is recognised in Ontario. I have the degree but no further training i.e. I am not a solicitor but would be interested in possibly pursuing this career path once over there.

I was hoping to get a job as a law clerk or something similar and possibly train towards becoming a fully fledged solicitor.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
Hi there - I am going throught this at the moment.

You will need to have your credentials assessed to ascertain equivalence to a Canadian LL.B. The NCA website will give you a rough idea as to how many exams you will have to sit (it depends upon the degree that you achieved and how long you have practised for - not relevant in your case).

I have heard good and bad stories from friends in country (12 year qualified barrister having to take 6 exams, 5 year qualified solicitor having to take 4 exams, newly qualified solicitor having to take 8 exams).

In addition, you will need to take the Province's Bar exam and undergo Articles.

I would say that it is not easy, but is not impossible either - depends on how badly you want to qualify.

Finding a job as a paralegal/ legal assistant will not be impossible, but will be assisted in you can show that you have pratical experience (you have not stated whether you do or not). This is certainly the case in Alberta/B.C and, as with everything, will depend upon the area you wish to practise in (usual supply/demand issue).

Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance

Darren
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Forget e-mailing them - they never respond. It is much better to pick up the phone and give them a call - that's the only way I could get a response after e-mailing/writing to them.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry I am not now planning to take up LAW once in Canada - I want an easy life......LOL!!!

Good Luck to you though