Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Halifax & surrounding areas for recce

Advice on Halifax & surrounding areas for recce

Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice on Halifax & surrounding areas for recce

Hi,

Where abouts in N Wales do you live? I grew up in North Wales.

We live in Fall River which is a fab area to live. We're fairly rural but have easy access to Halifax/Dartmouth/Bedford etc. When we visited for our recci we stayed in Hubbards on the south shore. The south shore is gorgeous!!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

davecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nicedavecaemelan is just really nice
Smile Re: Advice on Halifax & surrounding areas for recce

Hi rgilbert

We live near Caernarfon (in penygroes). Small world I've heard a lot about Fall river and the surrounding area!! will defo be having a look around there on our recce.

I think we are going to stay in Halifax and "work from there" so to speak.

I will drop you a PM if you dont mind??

Cheers
Dave
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Hi,

We moved over from Southampton in November 2007, we live on the South Shore, near Hubbards.

Its a really nice area, with a dozen beaches within 15 minutes drive. The commute into Halifax in the morning is 45 mins tops (though I do travel in a bit early to avoid the traffic).

Nothing against Hammonds Plains/Tantallon, but the higher density housing/large subdivisions is what we wanted to leave behind so those areas werent for us.

Give the South Shore a look when you come over on a recce its beautiful (as most parts of NS are).

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Mat
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Al the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really niceAl the Agent is just really nice

I will echo what has already been said, the area in which you settle will depend on your wants, needs and expectations. Andy did provide a good overview of the various areas around the Halifax Area, so it will come down to what you are looking for. Although I'm not an expat, I have lived in this area all my life and know it well, so if you'd like to get together for a beer or coffee when you are here, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. You can send me a PM if you'd like.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Ducks will become famous soon enoughDucks will become famous soon enough

We live about 30 minutes from Bridgewater in a very rural part of NS. It is too far for a daily commute to Halifax (1 1/2 hours in good weather, nearer to 2 on our icy dirt roads at the moment), but if anyone is interested in rural living and wants to come for a visit on their recces you're all welcome. Drop me a message.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Hi
We moved here in October 2010 and are renting in Lower Sackville for a year. Location here is great, especially when you share 1 car
I can get the bus to halifax, dartmouth etc easily.
Not sure if I would buy in Lower Sackville as it may be just a bit too busy for our liking but again this is personal opinion. Bedford is lovely, as is Fall River but you would need a car in Fall River. If you have any questions, please PM me.

Helen
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davecaemelan
Hi rgilbert

We live near Caernarfon (in penygroes). Small world I've heard a lot about Fall river and the surrounding area!! will defo be having a look around there on our recce.

I think we are going to stay in Halifax and "work from there" so to speak.

I will drop you a PM if you dont mind??

Cheers
Dave
Hi,

Feel free to PM me
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Sackville is one of the fastest growing communities in Nova Scotia. 25 mins into the city by bus. I have a Labrador from Wales!!! She loves the big outdoors!! PM me if you want more info?